rootkit TDSS

Hi,Have been in contact with "nangeek" here's the thread http://forums.malwar...howtopic=111928

But been unable to get a reply from my last post to her also sent a pm and no reply.

It's starting to do my head in checking back for a reply so i've decided to start a new topic ,and it goes like this.

My brother-in-law phoned me a few days back saying he was getting lots of pop ups on IE9 so i got him to do

a quick MBAM scan which found 2 threats which got removed,he then went back on IE9 and reported all pop

ups had stopped.

I then had to follow some instructions on the faq's CHSK /defrag/exclusions etc because the original problem was not

being able to rum a full MBAM scan without the program and laptop freezing.

Anyway success MBAM did a full scan without freezing but found rootkit TDSS which it said it removed it(allegedly)

So i then ran Kaspersky TDSSKiller which found nothing,does this mean his laptop is clean or is it still lurking somewhere.

Cheers Quinny.

post-32477-1261866970.gif

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

Please do not attach the scan results from Combofx. Use copy/paste.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them

2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

Download ComboFix from this link

Link 1

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. Note: If you are having difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, or are unsure as to what programs need to be disabled, please refer to the information available through this link : Protective Programs
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
    Notes: Combofix will run without the Recovery Console installed. Skip the Recovery Console part if you're running Vista or Windows 7.
    Note: If you have XP SP3, use the XP SP2 package.
    If Vista or Windows 7, skip the Recovery Console part
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

RC1.png

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

RC2-1.png

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt using Copy / Paste in your next reply.

Notes:

1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

2. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.

3. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell your helper.

4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Give it atleast 20-30 minutes to finish if needed.

Please do not attach the scan results from Combofx. Use copy/paste.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

Hi,Have already run combo fix which found nothing,sorry don't have the log.

It's a little bit awkward because i don't have the laptop with me.

My brother-in-law reports back to me that the laptop is working fine though.

Hi,Have already run combo fix which found nothing,sorry don't have the log.

It's a little bit awkward because i don't have the laptop with me.

My brother-in-law reports back to me that the laptop is working fine though.

If he's happy, we're happy.

So lets call it solved.

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!