Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65 Released

Moogle

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65

DOWNLOAD: http://www.malwareby...alwarebytes_pro

Alternatively, you may also click the Check for Updates button on the Update tab of the software.

Some highlights of the new release include:

New Features:

· Implemented comprehensive API's for controlling settings and configuration for Business customers

· Future versions will be able to upgrade without requiring a reboot after installation

· Protection module now controllable for the entire machine instead of being limited to individual user accounts

· Japanese language support added

Improvements:

· Malwarebytes Chameleon enhanced to be even more effective against the latest threats

· Realtime protection now starts much faster on Windows Vista and Windows 7

· Eliminated performance issues caused by database updates and Ignore List manipulation on Windows Vista and Windows 7

Please see here for the full change log.

Please let us know if you have any issues.

Thank you!

Conga-Rats, MBAM Team for latest & greatest release!

I just completed in-place upgrades from 1.62 on both rigs.

Manual Quick scan on latop went fine; scheduled Quick scan on desktop runs in a few hours.

I have 1 Possible minor "glitch", 1 question, 1 request, and 1 observation. :)

Glitch?

On the LT, which was already configured to "start with Windows", the system tray icon never appeared after the 1st reboot. I waited and waited for several minutes, eventually opened the main GUI, and saw that protection was enabled. However, there was no system tray icon, and NO, it wasn't "hidden". A 2nd reboot resolved the problem, and the icon eventually appeared.

Question?

Is the MBAM PRO realtime protection inactive until the system tray icon appears?

I understand that MBAM is set for a delayed auto start after reboot, to allow OS to load, networking to run, AV to load, etc.

However, for KIS, for example, the drivers and protection load as soon as one boots into Windows; the system tray icon (which is really part of the GUI) loads a wee bit later.

However, it is still much earlier than the MBAM system tray icon, even though 1.65 supposedly loads sooner than previous versions.

Reason for asking is that I have found that I can start MBAM manually from the desktop shortcut much sooner than the automated "start with Windows" if, in fact the MBAM system tray icon appearance time = the MBAM protection start time.

If that's the case, then I might go back to manually starting MBAM on both rigs, as I can load it sooner from the shortcut than I can waiting for it to happen automatically.

OTOH, if, like KIS, the protection is already loading BEFORE the system tray icon appears, then I will configure both rigs to "start with Windows".

(I hope I explained this clearly enough for someone to decipher. ;) )

Request?

Though it's largely cosmetic, I would echo the opinion of John A to bring back the timestamp for the database version in the system tray tooltip balloon: http://forums.malwar...dpost&p=595334.

Observation?

I noticed with this upgrade that the opt-out checkbox for the 14-day free trial of the PRO version was not there during the install wizard. I wasn't sure if that had been removed or whether I didn't get "offered" the option because I was upgrading on top of activated/registered 1.62 PRO. (Just need to know for future advice for forum newbies.)

Once again, congrats to the entire team!

daledoc1

Glitch?

On the LT, which was already configured to "start with Windows", the system tray icon never appeared after the 1st reboot. I waited and waited for several minutes, eventually opened the main GUI, and saw that protection was enabled. However, there was no system tray icon, and NO, it wasn't "hidden". A 2nd reboot resolved the problem, and the icon eventually appeared.

It sounds like something went wrong with the upgrade, but was fixed by the subsequent reboot.

Question?

Is the MBAM PRO realtime protection inactive until the system tray icon appears?

I understand that MBAM is set for a delayed auto start after reboot, to allow OS to load, networking to run, AV to load, etc.

However, for KIS, for example, the drivers and protection load as soon as one boots into Windows; the system tray icon (which is really part of the GUI) loads a wee bit later.

However, it is still much earlier than the MBAM system tray icon, even though 1.65 supposedly loads sooner than previous versions.

Reason for asking is that I have found that I can start MBAM manually from the desktop shortcut much sooner than the automated "start with Windows" if, in fact the MBAM system tray icon appearance time = the MBAM protection start time.

If that's the case, then I might go back to manually starting MBAM on both rigs, as I can load it sooner from the shortcut than I can waiting for it to happen automatically.

OTOH, if, like KIS, the protection is already loading BEFORE the system tray icon appears, then I will configure both rigs to "start with Windows".

(I hope I explained this clearly enough for someone to decipher. ;) )

It should be set to Automatic under Services.msc, though we're aware of an issue which we plan to fix in a later release where it may not be configured that way after an upgrade. You can fix this yourself if you wish by opening services.msc and setting MBAMService to Automatic instead of Automatic (Delayed Start)

Request?

Though it's largely cosmetic, I would echo the opinion of John A to bring back the timestamp for the database version in the system tray tooltip balloon: http://forums.malwar...dpost&p=595334.

Yes, I've put in a request for that info to be added back, but if it does happen, it won't be until a later version of the program.

Observation?

I noticed with this upgrade that the opt-out checkbox for the 14-day free trial of the PRO version was not there during the install wizard. I wasn't sure if that had been removed or whether I didn't get "offered" the option because I was upgrading on top of activated/registered 1.62 PRO. (Just need to know for future advice for forum newbies.)

Yes, it was technically a bug to show the trial prompt when performing an upgrade installation where the product had already been activated with a valid license so we fixed the bug in 1.65 :).

Hi, Exile:

OK, thanks for the clarifications.

I will assume the glitch with the system tray icon was a one-off deal.

Yes, indeed, MBAM Service was set to Automatic (Delayed) -- I've just changed it to Automatic. I haven't restarted the system yet to test it.

I wonder -- how does this relate to the option to create a Start Menu folder during the install setup wizard?

The start menu option was UN-ticked by default in the setup wizard during the upgrade and I didn't think to check/tick/enable it.

Perhaps that contributed to the system tray icon glitch and to the Auto (Delayed) service setting?

IOW does one need to have BOTH the "start menu folder" option enabled during installation AND the "start with Windows" option in the main program GUI enabled for all of this to work properly?

(Sorry for being dense. In the past, to avoid the possibility of theoretical clashes with KIS, I'd always manually started MBAM. So, the auto start is new to me.)

Thanks for the request to add back the timestamp. No rush.

Thanks for the clarification about the PRO trial option. If I understand you correctly, an in-place upgrade will not offer that option, but a clean install will?

Once again, thanks for the prompt reply!

daledoc1

I will assume the glitch with the system tray icon was a one-off deal.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

Yes, indeed, MBAM Service was set to Automatic (Delayed) -- I've just changed it to Automatic. I haven't restarted the system yet to test it.

I wonder -- how does this relate to the option to create a Start Menu folder during the install setup wizard?

The start menu option was UN-ticked by default in the setup wizard during the upgrade and I didn't think to check/tick/enable it.

Perhaps that contributed to the system tray icon glitch and to the Auto (Delayed) service setting?

IOW does one need to have BOTH the "start menu folder" option enabled during installation AND the "start with Windows" option in the main program GUI enabled for all of this to work properly?

(Sorry for being dense. In the past, to avoid the possibility of theoretical clashes with KIS, I'd always manually started MBAM. So, the auto start is new to me.)

Nope, totally unrelated. During an upgrade install the options for the shorcuts/icons is unchecked because they already exist (the nature of an upgrade install). The installer checks to see if they already exist or not, and if they do, it unchecks the option because it's just going to leave the shortcuts you already have in place.

Thanks for the clarification about the PRO trial option. If I understand you correctly, an in-place upgrade will not offer that option, but a clean install will?

Sort of. Basically, since the product had already been activated with a license for the PRO version, it would be silly for the product to offer you a free 14 day trial (since you've already got a lifetime license). If you've never installed the software on a particular system before, then yeah, there should be a trial prompt checkbox so that you can take it for a test drive :).

Upgraded to 1.65.0.1400 and everything is running smooth. I absolutely love that the MBAM service is set to Automatic instead of Automatic (Delayed Start) now,very nice, now I don't have to go into services every time I upgrade now. :D

Thanks Malwarebytes Team. :)

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

Actually, it seems that John A described the same glitch with the 1.65 beta on Win7/64 here: http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=595283

So, perhaps it's real or a "two-off" situation? :P

(Easily resolved with another reboot.)

Sort of. Basically, since the product had already been activated with a license for the PRO version, it would be silly for the product to offer you a free 14 day trial (since you've already got a lifetime license).

Righto!

Perfect sense - I was just confused b/c I *had* seen the offer when I upgraded in place to 1.62, but I didn't see it this time.

If you've never installed the software on a particular system before, then yeah, there should be a trial prompt checkbox so that you can take it for a test drive :).

One last dumb question about this -- I assume, as in the past, that running mbam-clean.exe will wipe this license information?

So, a clean reinstall after running mbam-clean would prompt the user for the (opt-out) free trial during the setup wizard?

(Again, sorry to be dumb, but it appears that a few of these minor features have changed a bit over the past version or 2. I don't have time or a test box to go to all the trouble of a clean reinstall myself. So, I'm just trying to understand what a user would see if they perform a new, clean install, AND what they would see if they perform a clean reinstall after running mbam-clean.)

Time for me to get some fresh air and caffeine!

Thanks for your patience, :D

daledoc1

thanks update went in automatically as i was testing the beta version,must say the sepreate scheduler process was a good idea :)

Yes, it was critical that we separate the scheduler, especially now that we allow users to fully exit protection (if protection isn't running, that doesn't mean that the scheduled tasks shouldn't still run).

Glitch?

The same happened here on Vista, after the second reboot all was OK.

I got the notification from Malwarebytes PRO about the new update so agreed to install the update as usual but this time it failed to install the new version on the top of the older one because it couldnt over-write/replace mbam.exe so I had to clean install Malwarebytes again..Now performing a quick scan. :)