Persistent Pop-up

Mao117

Hi guys

I've been having this strange pop-up for nearly a week now.

I'm very security conscious and I have a good idea of how viruses and whatnot work, being a programmer and I have mostly manually removed viruses from my system before. This is probably the second time in nearly 6 years that I've got spyware, but this is the first time no tool has found it.

So, it started as a single, random pop-up that would open every 15 or so minutes in a new tab in Firefox (my default browser).

After a few days and its current behaviour, is it opening ONLY ONCE. It only opens when I start Firefox and only opens when the system starts up. But I must manually start Firefox for it to open (thus far). It does not immediately open, but after about 10 or so minutes after Firefox has started.

It goes to this link: http://aff.ringtonepartner.com/geo/preset/1706/4/?subid=1793

and this link re-directs very quickly to some "mozzi" URL that contains an IQ-test. It also has logos of my local telecommunication companies at the bottom of the page.

I have tried numerous programs, including Malware Bytes, SpyBot S&D, Windows Security Essentials, Avast! (my primary AV), SUPERAntiSpyware, but none of them have caught whatever it is that is causing this SEEMINGLY benign thing.

Hi and Welcome!! My name is Jeff. I would be more than happy to take a look at your malware results logs and help you with solving any malware problems you might have. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and know that I am working hard to get you a clean and functional system back in your hands. I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

• The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • If you happen to have a flash drive/thumb drive please have that ready in the event that we need to use it.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete, download or install anything unless instructed to do so.

DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision. Doing so could make your system inoperable and could require a full reinstall of your Operating System and losing all your programs and data.

Having said that....Let's get going!!

----------

When you ran DDS there should have been another file created named Attach.txt Could you post that please?

-----------

Please download aswMBR to your desktop.

• Double click the aswMBR icon to run it.
  • Click the Scan button to start scan.
  • If you are asked to update the Avast Virus database please allow it to do so.
  • When it finishes, press the save log button, save the logfile to your desktop and post its contents in your next reply.

aswmbrscan.jpg

Click the image to enlarge it

----------

AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Search.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt as well.

----------

Hi,

AdwCleaner

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Delete.
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[s1].txt as well.

----------

Download Combofix from the link below, and save it to your desktop.

Link

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**

If you get a message saying "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", please restart your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-Click and Run as Administrator on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

• When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt for further review.

----------

Hey man, sorry I had work and yesterday and this week was really hectic, been out of the house for nearly 12 hours a day
No problem! :)

---------

How is your system behaving now?

There we a lot of internet related malware registry keys that we removed along with their corresponding files. :)

I see that your Java software is out of date. Please go to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> uninstall all versions of Java.

Now download and install the newest version from here >> http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

-------------

Clear Java Cache

See this page for instructions on how to clear java's cache.

Go into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)

• Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
  • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 Checked

• Downloaded Applets
      Downloaded Applications
      Other Files

[*]Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window

Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.

[*]Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

----------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Right-click and Run as Administrator mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan as shown below.
    mbam-1.jpg
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.

The log can also be found here:

Windows 2000 & Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Windows Vista & Win7:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

----------

ESET Online Scanner

Go here to run an online scannner from ESET. Windows Vista/Windows 7 users will need to right click on their Internet Explorer shortcut, and select Run as Administrator

• Note: For browsers other than Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to download and install esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe. Click on the link and save the file to a convenient location. Double click on it to install and a new window will open. Follow the prompts.
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
  • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • When the scan is done, if it shows a screen that says "Threats found!", then click "List of found threats", and then click "Export to text file..."
  • Save that text file on your desktop. Copy and paste the contents of that log as a reply to this topic.
  • Close the ESET online scan, and let me know how things are now.

----------

Well, the stupid pop-up is back.

All scans are clear. MBytes did not pick anything up.

The ESET online scan only picked up really old stuff I've had, mostly tools to edit windows themes and trainers for games. They're very old and I haven't used them for more than a year.

ESET:

C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\DriverSweeper_3.2.0.exe    Win32/OpenCandy application
C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\DTLite4453-0297.exe Win32/OpenCandy application
C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\Setup-MsgPlus-510.exe a variant of Win32/MessengerPlus.A application
C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe a variant of Win32/MessengerPlus.A application
C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\SoftonicDownloader_for_open-freely.exe Win32/SoftonicDownloader.D application
D:\Documents and Settings\Ammaar-117\Application Data\OpenCandy\OpenCandy_B48E56AA55A74842B96A05CCB7C830AA\RegistryReviverSetup.exe a variant of Win32/SlowPCfighter application
D:\Documents and Settings\Ammaar-117\Local Settings\Temp\OpenCandy\OCSetupHlp.dll Win32/OpenCandy application
D:\Documents and Settings\Ammaar-117\Local Settings\TempDIR\BetterInstaller.exe a variant of Win32/Somoto.A application
D:\WINDOWS\CameraFixer.exe probably a variant of Win32/KillProc.A application
E:\Programs\winamp563_full_emusic-7plus_all.exe Win32/OpenCandy application
H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\DriverSweeper_2.7.5.exe Win32/OpenCandy application
H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\DriverSweeper_3.1.0.exe Win32/OpenCandy application
H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\MsgPlusLive-490.exe a variant of Win32/MessengerPlus application
H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\Setup-MsgPlus-502.exe a variant of Win32/MessengerPlus.A application
H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe a variant of Win32/MessengerPlus.A application
H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\SUPERsetup.exe Win32/OpenCandy application
H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\VistaGlazzSetup.exe Win32/OpenCandy application

Hi,

Ok...what browser are you experiencing the popup with?

----------

• Please open Notepad (Start -> Run -> type notepad in the Open field -> OK) and copy and paste the text present inside the box below:

ClearJavaCache::
    File::
    C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\DriverSweeper_3.2.0.exe
    C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\DTLite4453-0297.exe
    C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\Setup-MsgPlus-510.exe
    C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe
    C:\Users\Ammaar\Desktop\Others\SoftonicDownloader_for_open-freely.exe
    D:\Documents and Settings\Ammaar-117\Application Data\OpenCandy\OpenCandy_B48E56AA55A74842B96A05CCB7C830AA\RegistryReviverSetup.exeD:\Documents and Settings\Ammaar-117\Local Settings\Temp\OpenCandy\OCSetupHlp.dll
    D:\Documents and Settings\Ammaar-117\Local Settings\TempDIR\BetterInstaller.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\CameraFixer.exe
    E:\Programs\winamp563_full_emusic-7plus_all.exe
    H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\DriverSweeper_2.7.5.exe
    H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\DriverSweeper_3.1.0.exe
    H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\MsgPlusLive-490.exe
    H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\Setup-MsgPlus-502.exe
    H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe
    H:\Ammaar's\Downloads\VistaGlazzSetup.exe

• Save this as CFScript.txt and change the "Save as type" to "All Files" and place it on your desktop.
    CFScriptB-4.gif
  • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before following the steps below. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Referring to the screenshot above, drag CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe.
  • ComboFix may request an update; please allow it.
  • ComboFix will now run a scan on your system. It may reboot your system when it finishes. This is normal.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post the contents of the log in your next reply.

CAUTION: Do not mouse-click ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

----------

Hey Jeff. As aforementioned in my first post, it's Firefox only. I suspect that's only because it's my default browser.

Also, today, the ad didn't come and everything seems fine. Thought every now and then MalwareBytes says it blocked an outgoing ip address and the program name (the exe it refers to) is avast. Is that related to the ad or is it the updates of avast that are being blocked?

Anyway, I shall post the results by tomorrow or day after, whenever I am able.

Hi,

Thought every now and then MalwareBytes says it blocked an outgoing ip address and the program name (the exe it refers to) is avast. Is that related to the ad or is it the updates of avast that are being blocked?
Yes....you can add that to your exclusions so that Malwarebytes will not detect it. :)
Anyway, I shall post the results by tomorrow or day after, whenever I am able.
Sounds good.

We will need to close this out when we are finished. If you post back with problems again it may be a different set of problems that need to be looked at. So to avoid confusion you can just start a new topic. :)

---------

Providing there are no other malware related problems...

IT APPEARS THAT YOUR LOGS ARE NOW CLEAN :D SO LETS DO A COUPLE OF THINGS TO WRAP THIS UP!! :D

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.

----------

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Press the Windows key + R and this will open the Run text box. Copy/paste the following text into the Run box as shown and click OK.

Combofix /Uninstall

(Note: There is a space between the ..X and the /U that needs to be there.)

CF.jpg

----------

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop. If you did not have Malwarebytes Antimalware before, I would keep it and run it weekly.

----------

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

2. FireFox If you use Firefox, I recommend installing the following add-ons to help make your Firefox browser more secure:

NoScript

AdBlock Plus

3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall

Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. **There are firewalls that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:

Online Armor Free

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

7. Finally, I strongly recommend that you read Miekiemoes' great advice How to prevent malware.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!