Malwarebytes 1.7 and Bitdefender AV Free

Bitdefender has just released a new AV product; i.e. Bitdefender AV Free.

I just upgraded to W8 Pro x64

I was running avast! AIS 7 on W7-SP1 x64 before I upgraded to W8 Pro x64. Since I was using avast! AIS 7 on Windows 7 SP1 I was following the avast! forum. Almost all of the "Evangelists" there highly recommend using Malwarebyes Pro with avast! AV products. I also noticed a lot of avast! users having problems with avast! 7 products and Windows 8. So when I upgraded to W8 Pro I I initially decided to use Windows Defender which is a full anti-malware product in W8. I then decided to try Malwarebytes Pro. So I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes turning on the Trial Version. I had no problems using Malwarebyte Pro on Windows 8 Pro.

Then two days ago I noticed that Bitdefender had released a new product, i.e. Bitdender AV Free which they say is compatible with W8. Remembering that avast! and Malwarebytes Pro work well together I thought that Btidefender AV Free and Malwarebytes Pro would also work well together.

I was wrong. The Bitdefender AV Free installation process does a forced uninstall of Malwarebyes Pro.along with disabling Windows Defender. The latter which is okay. During the intallation of Bitdefender AV Free it notifies the user that installing Bitdefender AV free requiires the uninstallation of Malwarebytes Pro. I thought this was a bit strange since avast! products and Malwarebytes Pro have no trouble working side by side on a computer. To make a long story short I let the install of Bitdefender AV Free procede. It uninstalled Malwarebytes Pro and completed the installation. Then SAS Pro which I use popped up and said that the Bitdefender AV Free file "AVcheck.exe" contained a trojan and quarantined the file.

I then uploaded to "AVcheck.exe" to Virus Total and Jotti;s Malware. All scans on these two websites showed clean except for the SAS scan on Virus Total and the ClamAV and CPsecure scans on Jotti's which identified a trojan inside "AVcheck.exe". For now "Avcheck.exe" remains quarantined by SAS Pro.

My guess is that it is the code in "AVcheck.exe" that forced the uninstall of Malwarebyes Pro and possibly even the code in "AVcheck.exe" that disables Windows Defender in W8 that have created these indications of a Trojan in "AVcheck.exe"

I would really like to use Malwarebyes Pro alongiside Bitdefender AV Free. At this time that is not possible.

My quesiton is. Should the two work together especially since avast! 7 products and Malwarebyes Pro work together? Windowss 8 had no problem with Bitdefender AV Free disabling Windows Defender. At least none that I have noticed so far.

I have notified SAS and Bitdefender of this problem.

Hey bro, I'm not a Malwarebytes Staff member or anything, but I would like to tell you that in my experience, BitDefender products are really hard to get to work with other security programs. They don't like to share space with other products. That being said, you could try this:

• Install BitDefender Free AV
  • Reboot at least 2 times
  • Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (if BitDefender objects, just turn it off)
  • Restart system and hope for no conflict. The reason I say this is because BitDefender Free doesn't offer any exclusions as of now, so you won't be able to make both products "ignore" eachother.

Please note that this may change in the future, it all depends on the BitDefender team. I highly recommend you stay with avast! ,it's been around a lot longer and has a helpful community.

Bitdefender has just released a new AV product; i.e. Bitdefender AV Free.

New product, no. New version, Yes

NOTE: BitDefender Free Edition is an on-demand virus scanner only, which is best used in a system recovery or forensics role.

If you are on an”always-on” Internet connection, Consider a full time software.

In some rare cases , exclusions are needed to maintain system performance. They are as follows:

Setting Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Bitdefender 2012 Products:

• Open Bitdefender
  • Click Settings
  • Click on Antivirus on the left, then click on the Exclusions near the top
  • Click on the toggle bar for the optionActivate exclusions for files so that it switches from OFF to ON
  • Click Excluded files and folders below the aforementioned toggle bar to add a new exclusion
  • Click Add then on the new window click Browse
  • Click the + next to My Computer or Computer
  • Click the + next to C:
  • Click the + next to Program Files Note: In 64 bit Windows versions this will be C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
  • Repeat steps 6-8 and then click the + next to Windows
  • Click the + next to System32
  • Click the + next to drivers
  • Click once on mbam.sys and click on OK
  • Do the same for the following file:
  • Click OK
  • Click Firewall on the left
  • Click Advanced near the top
  • Click Application Rules
  • Click Add Rule
  • At the top, click Browse
  • Using steps 7-9, navigate to the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder and select the following files and click Open:
    • mbam.exe

[*]Put a checkmark next to the following network types:

• Trusted
    • Home/Office
    • Public

[*]Click OK

[*]Repeat steps 20-24 for the following files:

• mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe

[*]Ensure that all three rules are now listed, then click Close

[*]To close Bitdefender, click the minus button at the upper right hand corner

Setting Exclusions for Bitdefender 2012 Products in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Bitdefender and click OK
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files and click once on Bitdefender and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you look at BItDefender's Free Virus Removal tools section, you will wonder why even have their product to begin with, if it takes so many special tools to remove threats(My Opinion Only)

Example :

Win32.Worm.Stuxnet.A (Really, how many times are you going to come accross that I wonder)

Hey bro, I'm not a Malwarebytes Staff member or anything, but I would like to tell you that in my experience, BitDefender products are really hard to get to work with other security programs. They don't like to share space with other products. That being said, you could try this:

• Install BitDefender Free AV
  • Reboot at least 2 times
  • Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (if BitDefender objects, just turn it off)
  • Restart system and hope for no conflict. The reason I say this is because BitDefender Free doesn't offer any exclusions as of now, so you won't be able to make both products "ignore" eachother.

Please note that this may change in the future, it all depends on the BitDefender team. I highly recommend you stay with avast! ,it's been around a lot longer and has a helpful community.

Thanks for your response. When my avast! license expries in July I will purchase a license to one of the Bitdefender programs that offers user options such as exclude. Or I may purchase a license from Bitdefender earlier than July. When I do I will reinstall Malwarebytes.

avast! and Malwarebytes must have some kind of partneship seeing as how the resident experts on each of the respective forums rub each other's backs. avast! used to be a decent AV program but no longer. The problems with avast! 7 and W8 are way too many. Their beta testing now stinks. I know because I followed their forum over the years that I used avast, i.e. since version 4.8. Yes avast! has a lot more users now but version 6.x was pretty good. It wasn't until they went to version 7 that thinks went to sheet.

Bitdefender ranks higher than avast! across the board in real world AV tests. To top it off avast! let a rookit onto one of my computers. I reformatted the disk and then tried to do a fresh install of Windows 7 using a paid for DVD. I had been able to do this before. However, this time W7 woud not install. It kept going to the dreaded BSOD during the installation process. I then ran the avast! Rescue disk and it found the trojan that was causing the problem however it could do nohting with it. Even their resident Malware expert could offer no suggestion on this other than to reformat the HDD and reinstall which I had already tried. I have read this person's respsonses to other avast! users with problems and he knows what he is doing. So all he could offer me to fix the problem was what i had already tried several times and did not work. In the end I converted that desktop computer to Ubuntu, which fortunately I am familiar with and comfortable using. There was no problem installing Ubuntu. I can do everything on Ubuntu that I was doing on W7 except my taxes but that is only because for one program I am not going to install Wine on Ubuntu.

So I then upgraded my other two desktop computers to W8 and installed Bitdefender. avast! can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Hi, Nesivos:

Welcome. :)

Just a home user and forum volunteer here.

Until one of the MBAM staffers has a chance to reply...

This is the MBAM home user help forum. :)

And this particular sub-section is designated for questions about installing and/or running MBAM.

If you have complaints or concerns about another security vendor's products, that feedback would probably be more suitable for that vendor's support team/forum.

Also, there are many minors who are members here, so it's important for us to choose the language in our posts with some discretion.

For additional information, please refer to this sticky topic: http://forums.malwar...showtopic=16361 :)

If you are paid user of MBAM PRO, you may wish to open a support ticket directly with the helpdesk here: Contact Customer Support.

Please reference this topic when you submit your request:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=120191

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

Okay here is what I did.

1. I reinstalled 1.7

2. Entered the Bitdefender folder into Malwarebytes "ignore list"

3. Ran a quick scan

4. Closed Malwarebytes

5. Re-opened Malwarebytes to make sure that Bitdefender remained in the "ignore list"

6. Restarted Windows 8 - This reinstalled the Malwarebyes Trial version which means I have full protection

7. Ran a "Flash" scan

8. Now running a full scan

I have five days left on the trial version of Malwrebytes. If I notice no conflicts between Bitdefender AV Free and the Malwarebyes "trial" version over the next five days which is what I have remaining on my "trial" vesion I will purchase two licenses of Malwrebytes Pro and keep Bitdefender AV Free for now. At some point I may upgrade Bit Defender Free. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Root Admin

Certainly a lot of discussion on the Web at a couple of the security forums about the Bitdefender AV Free 2013 and one of the major concerns for some is the fact that they say there is no way to add exclusions to the program and that by default it will delete some files that it labels as threats with no way to prevent it. In the Full version you can add exclusions and also tell it to leave certain files or folders alone. I've not personally tried the program yet but if those observations are correct not sure I'd use the free version myself. I'd either go for the paid version or look at other free alternatives that do give you a bit more control. Though I suppose that is the idea behind the new Bitdefender AV Free 2013 is for the user that simply does not know or care to know and wants the program to automatically take care of it for them.

• 1 year later...

Hello and :welcome: , @scagman2:

Thanks for your feedback. :)

However, as this topic is nearly 2 years old, and since both MBAM and BD have undergone many program version updates since then, I don't know if the Topic Starter is still following this thread?

(In general, especially in a computer forum, it's not usually a good idea to reply to such an old topic.)

If you have any specific questions or need help with MBAM on your computer, please feel free to start a new, separate topic.

Thanks and enjoy your stay!