Java is not JavaScript - tell your friends!

ShyWriter

Java is not JavaScript - tell your friends!

by Paul Ducklin on January 16, 2013

no-coffee-170.jpg?w=640

As you are probably aware, lots of people, including the writers at Naked Security, are advising you to turn off Java in your browser for security reasons.

Some people are worried that turning off Java also turns off JavaScript.

Most modern websites make heavy use of JavaScript, so these people are worried that sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and even Naked Security, will be pretty much useless if they follow our "turn Java off" advice.

So, let me clarify.

Java and JavaScript are completely different

will not turn off JavaScript

They're configured separately.

The converse is true, too. If your aim was to improve security by turning off Java, turning off JavaScript instead will not have the desired effect.

Apologies if you already know this. But the names are a bit confusing. (More...)

Read the rest at: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/01/16/java-is-not-javascript-tell-your-friends/

Steve

NOTE:

screenhunter01jan161355.gif NoScript for the Mozilla browser, Firefox, is one way to tame javascript and have it do only YOUR bidding..

Read more about it and/or grab it at: http://noscript.net/

I've been telling people this for a long time.

[...]

I actually trained in Java development more than 10 years ago, but I have used it so infrequently that I have forgotten most of it. :lol:

*Laugh* I dunno Arthur.. I was always led to believe you never forgot a thing.. Mind like a steel trap.. Albeit a little rusty but nothing a gallon of WD40® won't fix.

(G,D & R) :P

Seriously tho'.. You wouldn't believe the percentage of people that believe the two (Java/Javascript) are one in the same. ;)

Steve

Yep, it's been a major cluster-bomb over at the MZ forum (especially when Fx starting blocking 7u10), and even at KL forum & elsewhere.

This confusion has always simmered below the surface with the occasional confused OP, but it really exploded in the past week, with the 0day exploit debacle.

Who was the brilliant programmer who devised such a clever nomenclature, anyway (Java vs. javascript, Internet Explorer vs. Windows Explorer)?

WHAT were they thinking!?!?!

<face palm>

Still drinking coffee & permitting the occasional javascript when needed, but happily Java-free, :P

daledoc1

Yep, it's been a major cluster-bomb over at the MZ forum (especially when Fx starting blocking 7u10), and even at KL forum & elsewhere.

[...]

WHAT were they thinking!?!?!

[...]

<face palm>

[...]

Still drinking coffee & permitting the occasional javascript when needed, but happily Java-free, :P

daledoc1

"cluster-bomb" <<= Well @DD; you got it HALF-right.. In the service we called a cluster-someOTHERword *wicked grin*

Steve

""cluster-bomb" <<= Well @DD; you got it HALF-right.. In the service we called a cluster-someOTHERword *wicked grin*"

yes , there is a "confusion of terms" , maybe that's where those look-alike and sound-alike site/product scammers got the idea from ?

:lol:

ya know , there have been several occasions when "things really aint goin' right" and i have muttered or blurted out certain rather colorful and graphically descriptive phrases of a somewhat vile nature ...

if my gf was within earshot she would say : " i've never heard you use that one before ..." .

(i am not proud of it , but old habits can be hard to break and it is odd , i never heard my dad utter even a slightly off-color word)

:blush:

several of those phrases are from my time in the army , some have been garnered from sundry individuals since i was very young .

i have two lists of phrases , idioms and oaths : clean and vulgar .

some require serious though before it is apparent that they are meant to deride or insult .

always though , "it sounds better in latin" .