PUP.NewTab.VCom - false positive?

Taffy1812

Hello. A scan last night (GMT) showed five of these. I've tried to run mbam.exe /developer so that I can post the results but my PC can't find this file. Is it available on Malwarebyes free version please?

I'm pretty sure that MWB found these on a USB. I was not aware that users should use "safely remove hardware" when taking out a USB - I haven't been doing it, which makes me wonder if these are false positives.

Back to my main question - are FAlse Positive checks only available on paid versions? If so, how many PCs can a paid version be used on?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi,

I don't think mbam found this detection on your USB though. PUP.NewTab.VCom is no False positive either, it's a PUP detection, which means potentially unwanted program on the toolbar Newtabs you have probably installed (hence why mbam detects). If you want to keep this toolbar, you can ignore it in mbam. PUP detections aren't preselected by default for removal anyway.

Back to my main question - are FAlse Positive checks only available on paid versions? If so, how many PCs can a paid version be used on?

No, false positives checks are for any version. You can run the mbam.exe /developer command on the free and paid version of mbam. The paid version can be used on 1 PC

thanks miekiemoes. I'll try again - when I entered that file and ran, it said program not found.

By the way, can I ask you another question? The first thing I did when I say the results was to remove them. So presumably if I got it again, I'd need to leave them, scan in developer mode and come back here?

Re the USB thought, I'm sure I saw somewhere on the net that if you just unplug a USB instead of 'remove safely' it can cause something to happen that can give the impression of a trojan. I'll see if I can find it again

• Staff
So presumably if I got it again, I'd need to leave them

It's safe to remove this PUP. This toolbar is not recommended anyway. But it's up to you ofcourse if you want to keep this toolbar or not.

I'm sure I saw somewhere on the net that if you just unplug a USB instead of 'remove safely' it can cause something to happen that can give the impression of a trojan.

I've never heard of such thing :)

• Staff

Hi,

The toolbar is called Newtabs - so since the detection name in mbam didn't ring a bell for you, then I believe you weren't really aware of the presence of this toolbar either, so in that case, theres no reason to keep it either :)

Since you had mbam quarantine this one anyway, you should be fine. :)

'just unplugging your USB can cause problems'
yes, that's true, it *may* cause problems, but I don't really see what the impression of a trojan has to do with that. :)

The only thing that could probably happen is whan you unplug a usb (flashdrives for example), that this *could* cause data corruption on the usb. Also see here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/254868/safely_remove_usb_drives_just_by_unplugging_them.html