MBAM PRO Download has virus at CNET site

twl845

Hi all, I some how deleted my MBAM while cleaning house, so attempted to download a new copy from the MBAM site. Clicking for the Pro download I was sent to the download that appears at the CNET site. I clicked the run button on the window where upon the .exe file was downloaded to my desktop and the language window appeared. The various languages were scrolling wildly up and down and wouldn't allow me to see English so realizing something was screwed up I decided to start over and clicked the window off. I tried to navigate to my Download folder to delete the .exe file and with great difficulty because as windows was quivering I did. Then the screen froze so I did a hard shut down. I could not boot again as the computer emitted a ringing noise and wouldn't start, the screen being black. After a few more attempts, I for no particular reason hit the F1 key repeatedly and it finally boot. I accessed my scan screen on my Avast! AV and started a Quick scan. The scan produced 2 high priority viruses. Upon the scan ending I quickly quarantined the viruses and all was well again.

I urge all to avoid this download at all cost, and I need a place to download a clean copy of MBAM PRO. Thanks for a solution in advance.

Um I'm no PC expert, but I'm pretty sure you just need to download the normal MBAM then activate it with a code or something. I've never bought it before so I might be wrong. Did you download from the official website? http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Just try downloading the free version for now and do a scan with it. i guess.

And try doing a full scan with avast.

Remember I'm no expert so forgive me if I'm wrong.

• Root Admin

You can download from one of the following locations. If you think you're still infected or would like assistance from one of the Experts then please follow the advice from here: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Um I'm no PC expert, but I'm pretty sure you just need to download the normal MBAM then activate it with a code or something. I've never bought it before so I might be wrong. Did you download from the official website? http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Just try downloading the free version for now and do a scan with it. i guess.

And try doing a full scan with avast.

Remember I'm no expert so forgive me if I'm wrong.

That's the site that sent me to CNET which has the infected download.

Yes I read it and all of those sites have VERIFIED good clean versions. You simply clicked on an advertisement.

I went to the official MBAM web site and clicked download which took me to CNET where I clicked the Download button for MBAM. Not an advertizement.

• Root Admin

None of those sites house an invalid installer however all sites do use advertising please check some of the other sites I've listed as some of them have very little advertising. If you've purchased the program you should have a link from cleverbridge to download the program directly or you can open a ticket on the Help Desk and we will assist you further.

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned I was able to quarantine the 2 virus'.

Please define these so-called viruses. The problem is everybody thinks all malware are viruses which is not true. Viruses are a small subset of malware so what you quarantined are probably not "viruses" but at most, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs).

Try loading one of the download links AdvancedSetup posted with javascript off. I think most of the ads use javascript so it doesn't load most of them since its turned off. Thats what I did to download my MBAM on bleeping computer.

If your using firefox, click on Options > Content > Enable javascript > No.

Im not sure for any other web browser.

None of those sites house an invalid installer however all sites do use advertising please check some of the other sites I've listed as some of them have very little advertising. If you've purchased the program you should have a link from cleverbridge to download the program directly or you can open a ticket on the Help Desk and we will assist you further.

Thank you.

OK Thanks!

Please define these so-called viruses. The problem is everybody thinks all malware are viruses which is not true. Viruses are a small subset of malware so what you quarantined are probably not "viruses" but at most, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs).

Sorry I don't have the computer in question here at my home so I can't give you the info now. All I remember is the words "High Priority virus".

As requested please open a ticket on the Help Desk and we will assist you with this directly.

As an example of public downloads of our installer the saved file is currently normally named: mbam-setup-1.70.0.1100.exe

Those are the 2 sites where I clicked download as you point out.

Personally I think that you are better using Newegg.com to price the program.

They have had some great specials recently, and do not include the covtriversial Wrappers that some sites use.

FileHippo, C|Net, Tucows and Softpedia have a habit of installing a "Wrapper" with many of their downloads.

To prevent this a "Premium" was paid by the advertiser to exclude this from their programs.

This has been known for over 2 years, and includes items like FileHippo Updater, and a similar programs that are hard to remove.

EMISOFT Review on Software download Wrappers -

C|Net's Download.com site has been considered one of the gold standard --- and safe --- download sites, but perhaps people need to be rethinking that. Not only is Download.com ( C|Net ) continuing its practice of wrapping a proprietary installer around downloads, it's now offering up "minor infections" with some of the programs it tries to foist on end users.

We tend to refer to it mainly as Foistware, but some of it can be very annoying and hard to remove.

• Root Admin

Our program is not using an install wrapper from any of the sites to our knowledge. Cnet attempted to before and we told them they could not do so.

This user is already a paid PRO user so they can simply create a Help Desk ticket and we will assist them as needed.

Our program is not using an install wrapper from any of the sites to our knowledge. Cnet attempted to before and we told them they could not do so.
This was what I did mean to point out. That "better" programs (like MBAM) refuse to accept these type of items (wrappers).

twl845 may have clicked on one of the misleading ads placed close to MBAM download, which has happened on other occasions.

At no time did I mean to say that MBAM was involved in this practice, just that it happens at times with other programs.

Sorry if my post was mis-read as anything except for General Information -

I wish twl845 all the best in cleaning any infection that has hit their computer, and the Help Desk is great at this -

Personally I think that you are better using Newegg.com to price the program.

They have had some great specials recently, and do not include the covtriversial Wrappers that some sites use.

FileHippo, C|Net, Tucows and Softpedia have a habit of installing a "Wrapper" with many of their downloads.

To prevent this a "Premium" was paid by the advertiser to exclude this from their programs.

This has been known for over 2 years, and includes items like FileHippo Updater, and a similar programs that are hard to remove.

EMISOFT Review on Software download Wrappers -

C|Net's Download.com site has been considered one of the gold standard --- and safe --- download sites, but perhaps people need to be rethinking that. Not only is Download.com ( C|Net ) continuing its practice of wrapping a proprietary installer around downloads, it's now offering up "minor infections" with some of the programs it tries to foist on end users.

We tend to refer to it mainly as Foistware, but some of it can be very annoying and hard to remove.

Thanks for the tip.

I've been using FileHippo for as long as I can remember as a trusted source. On no occasion have I been subject to Foistware. As for FileHippo Updater being hard to remove, you clearly haven't used it. It is an excellent and highly recommended little software that can help prevent many of the infections we see here and completely uninstalls in seconds if needed.

I've been using FileHippo for as long as I can remember as a trusted source. On no occasion have I been subject to Foistware. As for FileHippo Updater being hard to remove, you clearly haven't used it. It is an excellent and highly recommended little software that can help prevent many of the infections we see here and completely uninstalls in seconds if needed.

I agree. I've been using FIleHIppo for sometime now and rarely touch MajorGeeks or CNET (very rarely for that matter).