What security suite for pc?

Deeter

People need to search the forum before asking a question as this has been asked a million times already and we even have a sticky because this is being asked too much. When people ask the same question over and over it wastes our time when we could respond to people who "actually" need help. Rather than asking us just search the forum or Google and try something and see what fits your needs. Not everything works for everybody.

http://forums.malwar...howtopic=112235

Edit: Never tried BitDefender or WebRoot so can't give my opinion.

Edit: Slightly different topic than antivirus recommendations.

• Root Admin

Well you ruled out probably 2 of the best and WebRoot is owned by Symantec. I use NIS 2013 for wife's home computer and Kaspersky for business servers. It is slow for updates but (IMHO) none of the other AV products can actually handle file infectors like Kaspersky does.

BitDefender is a good product so at least you didn't rule them out.

If I had to suggest two paid for AV's, IMHO it's a toss-up between Kaspersky and Bitdefender. While I had one small issue with Kaspersky being buggy I found their support/tech guys quick to respond and helpful. In my experience Bitdefender has always run smoothly, is very light weight, has good customer service and (I think) has good detection rates. I'm not sure how well Bitdefender runs with Pro versions of Anti Malware tools like Mbam and SAS as I've never tried it.

I've never used Webroot myself.

Best for detection and response to the newest threats are Kaspersky and Eset. Kaspersky is so resource hungry nowadays and has the slowest updating in the history of AV software.....but it remains unmatched in effective removal of detected threats. Bitdefender is very good but a better choice would be GData as it uses the AV engines and definitions of both Bitdefender and Avast and costs about the same as either.

Hmmm.

I've had problems with Kaspersky 2013.

1) It's slow to start up (although now that I have webroot complete demo running paralell to it it starts up great. I know I'm not supposed to run them parallel, but it works. WTF?)

2) It doesn't always register start ups in the detailed reports

3) It just started using 100% of my CPU. It would start this a while after logging in and just keep using that 100%. (Of course this stopped when I installed the webroot demo)

4) Scans would get stuck (This stopped after I installed webroot complete demo.)

And maybe some other stuff I forgot.

I installed the webroot demo thinking I would delete kaspersky, but they appear to be working well together. It's bizarre.

So, what do I do?

The first thing you do is NOT run two active AV's that were not designed to run together. Just because there doesn't seem to be a conflict doesn't mean there isn't one.

And what's wrong with symantec?

There's nothing wrong with Symantec!

Hi, Deeter:

:D "Deja vu, all over again!" :D

(Longtime forum members will know what I mean.)

As DSK pointed out, this question has been asked (and answered) many, many times here at this forum and at so many of the major computer communities.

There is no one ideal security suite for all computers or all computer users.

There are so many factors that come into play (hardware specs, software (including OS version), computer usage habits, internet connection speed, etc), not the least of which are personal preference and opinion.

The mods and more expert members will have lots more to say about this.

As a home user, I've been running KIS on all 3 of my rigs for nearly 3 years, having removed OEM McAfee on both DTs, and having replaced Webroot ISE (pre-WSA version) on my laptop (with a dramatic improvement in performance). All 3 rigs have pretty robust hardware, especially the 2 DTs.

Without knowing your hardware specs or which version(s) of KIS/KAV you may have used, it's impossible to say whether you'd have similar favorable experiences, of course.

One thing to consider: if you have been trying multiple security programs, some of your performance issues might relate to leftover drivers and remnants from incomplete AV uninstalls.

(KIS/KAV, in particular, need to have all previous AVs cleanly removed -- and the native Windows firewall disabled -- in order to run smoothly. And some AVs/security suites are notoriously hard to completely remove. So, you might want to carefully assess your system for leftovers.)

Just my home-user thoughts....

Cheers & good luck! :)

daledoc1

@ Deeter - Have you contacted support/their forums for help or tried clean installing? Maybe it's a software clash... either way I'd pick one AV, as BornSlippy says running two at once isn't a good idea.

With PC's that I've seen Kaspersky on I found it had a relatively low impact on system resources except during a full scan and updating.

@ Deeter - Have you contacted support/their forums for help or tried clean installing?

FYI, here is the link to the KL home user KIS/KAV forum: http://forum.kaspers...php?showforum=4

...either way I'd pick one AV, as BornSlippy says running two at once isn't a good idea.

Absolutely! It's a really BAD idea (performance hits AND decreased -- NOT enhanced! -- security).

With PC's that I've seen Kaspersky on I found it had a relatively low impact on system resources except during a full scan and updating.

Agree. My LT is >3 years old and not exactly top-flight (see specs in my sig), but it runs KIS (2011 > 2012 and now 2013) FAR better than it ever ran WISE. Ditto for both DTs.

FWIW I've never had a problem with resource consumption during updating, either. Purrs in the background.

The "system watcher" in 2013 does have a few bugs/issues, but KL has been working on these.

daledoc1

• Root Admin

If you want to see what's going on then disable your antivirus and run this so we can possibly see what's going on.

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  1. DDS.txt
  2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Gee, I would have thought it barks like an Airdale. :P

Hahahaha!

That would then be a resource hog, though. (Mixed metaphor?!?!?!)

(Growing up, my house was the only one on our street NOT subjected to B&E. The other houses all had alarms systems. Our security system: an Airedale Terrier -- his bark was worse than his bite, as he would have licked the intruders to death.)

<back on-topic>

Webroot is the only thing I've had other than Kaspersky. I wonder, when I installed the 2013 version I did not remove the old version thinking it would just update to the new version. Could that be a problem? I've been having problems since I got the 2013 version, but just now am getting scan that lock up and the 100% CPU usage thing.

FYI, here is the link to the KL home user KIS/KAV forum: http://forum.kaspers...php?showforum=4

Absolutely! It's a really BAD idea (performance hits AND decreased -- NOT enhanced! -- security).

Agree. My LT is >3 years old and not exactly top-flight (see specs in my sig), but it runs KIS (2011 > 2012 and now 2013) FAR better than it ever ran WISE. Ditto for both DTs.

FWIW I've never had a problem with resource consumption during updating, either. Purrs in the background.

The "system watcher" in 2013 does have a few bugs/issues, but KL has been working on these.

daledoc1

I figured it may be alright since webroot works differently from Kaspersky.

I wonder, when I installed the 2013 version I did not remove the old version thinking it would just update to the new version. Could that be a problem? I've been having problems since I got the 2013 version, but just now am getting scan that lock up and the 100% CPU usage thing.

Yes, absolutely. When going from one major version (e.g. 2012) to another (e.g. 2013), it's important to do a clean upgrade by uninstalling old version first. Major versions do NOT update automatically through the updater, only database updates and patches. (Same concept for all major AVs).

Instructions here: http://forum.kaspers...showtopic=67812 and here: http://forum.kaspers...howtopic=242386

Instructions to remove other AVs here: http://forum.kaspers...?showtopic=5233

Specific instructions for WSA removal here: http://community.web...gether/td-p/136

Download latest version of KIS/KAV here: http://www.kaspersky.../productupdates

(really need an edit button)

You'll be able to edit posts when you get to Honorary Member status at a post count of 50. :)

Also, Kaspersky keeps telling me to remove Malwarebytes, should I?

Technically speaking, the latest versions of KIS/KAV should not prompt to uninstall MBAM during their setup as it's no longer considered an incompatible program.

However, "best practices" is a good idea to temporarily uninstall MBAM, reboot, cleanly uninstall all your old AVs with their removal tools, reboot, cleanly upgrade KIS/KAV > activate > reboot > update > reboot.

Once your KIS/KAV is updated, activated and working, then reinstall MBAM.

I've used the method listed here several times of a number of platforms with good results: http://forums.malwar...howtopic=113443

HAVING SAID ALL THAT.... please follow AdvancedSetup's advice to run DDS and post back with both your logs. :)

These logs will assist him and the more expert members with further advice for you.

HTH,

daledoc1

PS = Polite Suggestion: Please use the "More Reply Options" button, rather than the "Quote" or "Multi-Quote" button. It will make it easier for everyone to follow your thread.

Hahahaha!

That would then be a resource hog, though. (Mixed metaphor?!?!?!)

(Growing up, my house was the only one on our street NOT subjected to B&E. The other houses all had alarms systems. Our security system: an Airedale Terrier -- his bark was worse than his bite, as he would have licked the intruders to death.)

<back on-topic>

so , what you're saying is that it is really the cat's pajamas (or as some would say "cat's meow") ?

:lol::P

(yep , i pushed the Q button)

If you want to see what's going on then disable your antivirus and run this so we can possibly see what's going on.

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Umm... where's the attachment icon?

Attach Files

In order to attach files you click on the button on the bottom right of your reply called "More Reply Options".

post-119961-0-49470200-1360187788.png

After you will be taken to a new screen and you can attach files by clicking on the button "Choose Files" at the bottom.

post-119961-0-01266900-1360187805.png