Conflict between Norton 360 and MWB (Pro?)... what to do atm?

This has been discussed in other threads and on Norton's forum. Norton is telling me that MWB conflicts with Norton's operation and MWB needs to be REMOVED. I've seen in other threads that you're looking into this and contacting Norton about resolution.

In the meantime what do WE users DO? I run MWB Pro on several computers and I need to keep those systems protected. Should I temporarily remove MWB until an announced solution is reached? Should I just disable RT protection for the time being? Should I ignore Norton and leave things "as is"? I do notice that both programs SEEM to run their scans properly as per their log files. So I'm willing to believe Norton's claim is wrong. But I can't afford to have multiple systems with less than maximum protection and I seek guidance from you folks as to what to do while we await resolution. Unfortunately the threads already posted here give conflicting and varying advice so I would appreciate the best advice from the admins and experts here! Thank You!

(PS: I'd also like to know why I can't start a new paragraph using the text editor in posting here like I used to be able to do before. I say "again" because I've seen this complaint raised by others.) I was able to insert breaks between paragraphs here by writing in Notepad and pasting here.

Thanks for your help!

Hello and :welcome:

There is a lot of antivirus vendors claiming that you need to remove Malwarebytes so that they do not conflict. This is a tactic that they use to avoid possible conflicts.

If you currently have both installed and all is working well, then you do not have a conflict and you can leave both on and enabled. I some cases exceptions need to be entered to avoid a conflict but these cases are rare and depends on your setup. We can work with you should you experience any issues so that you can continue and use both should a problem arise.

As for starting a new paragraph, its an issue with IE10 and this forum. What you can do is one of two things....

1. You can click on the compatibility button (broken page in the address bar) and run in compatibility mode while on this forum.

2. You can toggle off editing mode (little switch on the top left of the window where you are typing your reply)

There is a lot of antivirus vendors claiming that you need to remove Malwarebytes so that they do not conflict. This is a tactic that they use to avoid possible conflicts.

Well, it may be a "tactic" but if there IS a conflict, then obviously this is an area of concern.... right? Now if you're saying it's a tactic to undermine a competitor's product and has no basis in fact, then that's a different issue. This would be lame though since I don't even think Norton contends that a user should rely SOLELY upon their product.

If you currently have both installed and all is working well, then you do not have a conflict and you can leave both on and enabled. I some cases exceptions need to be entered to avoid a conflict but these cases are rare and depends on your setup. We can work with you should you experience any issues so that you can continue and use both should a problem arise.

I do see entries in Norton's logs showing blocking attempts by MWB to access certain Norton files. I also see "blocks" of SuperAntiSpyware activities. Should I configure Norton to ignore certain MWB files? (I'll let SAS speak for themselves on this topic.) If so, which files? I run MWB on various systems, XP and Win7, 32-bit as well as 64-bit.

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated. BTW, I did enable compatibility mode and seems to work fine now for ensuring readability of my posts! :)

I can not speak for Norton or any antivirus vendor but if they are like any other company, they care about the numbers and the money they bring in, so yes I do believe that they would want you to solely use only there product.

For example I recently upgraded our backup software (from Symantec which is Norton as well) and in the process of installing the software it ran some checks on our system and even though I already had antivirus software installed, it kept insisting that I install their version of antivirus software.....

If you want to exclude the MBAM files from Norton 360 you can do that to avoid any possible conflict. Not sure what version of Norton 360 you have but here are the files that need to be excluded.....

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

I am using Norton 360 as well as Norton 360 Premier, both on current version 20.3.1.22.

I will do as suggested, thanks for the info.

Note that I use Norton as my firewall, replacing Windows own firewall. So you're saying I should excluse the named files within Norton's firewall, or is that automatic if I exclude it with respect to their anti-virus software?

Just had the Norton 360 on my system today tell me that latest update MWB I have auto installed should be removed as it will cause conflicts. I have read the above and whilst I might agree with the view that Norton are saying MBW "might" cause conflict problems and that they may have very good (but naughty) marketing reasons for this statement, I have already removed MBW. I am NOT computer literate and at my age simply not about to try and understand what files to disable or remove from Norton to make it all go away.

I fail to understand why Norton should decide now that MBW is persona non grat,a when it's been installed for years on my system without problems - so I have assume they have genuine concern about the latest version of MBW and conflicts arising. I had to decide straight away I thought and make a decision. I value the total Norton package and rely on it as my AntiVirus. Whether I "need" MBW is debatable surely as it did not come with the PC, Norton did.

Also if I re-install MBW - how do I know that Norton is running as it should?

I am a user, not a techy - I need a resolution and am certainly not about to delve into various routines and change/remove files and so on. From the little experience I have, that often causes more problems than anything.

My only course of action I'm afraid as I see it, is to find another add on program that roots out Malware without any Norton conflict. This is a pity as I have always liked and rated MBW, but times move on.