Malwarebytes Acquires ZeroVulnerabilityLabs

RubbeR DuckY

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks great. Could you answer a few questions?

Will it automatically update?

Will it always be free?

How does the technology work? I think they used to have this on their old site but all the pages are gone.

Thanks

• Staff

Thanks for the welcome Marcin!

@salmon, the technology is based on the concept of application shielding. It monitors the behaviour of certain applications (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, MS Office, Adobe Reader, Java, etc.) and prevents the successful exploitation of vulnerabilities by detecting exploit-like behaviour. The product itself provides real-time protection and it's not required to run any type of manual scans... simply install and forget.

Since it does not rely on blacklisting it does not need to be updated with new signatures. New versions will be released in the future but a simple uninstall/install will suffice for now to upgrade to the newer versions (which don't happen that often). In the future when we integrate with Malwarebytes GUI and advanced features one of the things we need to look at is hot upgrading to new versions.

During beta we've made the full version available for free. Once out of beta it will follow the same approach as MBAM Pro.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit.

@pbust

I have mixed emotions about this being integrated into MBAM Pro, but I understand why. It would be great if there was a standalone version even after it is integrated as the amount of computers that are made vulnerable by Java, Adobe Reader, flash, shockwave etc are so high, just the other day I spent a good long time removing a virus which I'm pretty confident this would of prevented (They were running JRE 5 and IE 7 on XP SP2). There aren't many people who get excited over updates ;) If a free version is released, I'll definitely be installing this on peoples computers that I help. I really the idea of behaviour based blocking and things that don't use large amounts of system resources, such as DNS filtering and IP. So once this is integrated into MBAM Pro, its going to be excellent. Good luck to your team :)

• Staff

I have mixed emotions about this being integrated into MBAM Pro, but I understand why. It would be great if there was a standalone version even after it is integrated as the amount of computers that are made vulnerable by Java, Adobe Reader, flash, shockwave etc

Sorry I should have been clearer in my response above. When I said integrating into Malwarebytes GUI I meant as a stand-alone "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit" application with Malwarebytes look-and-feel, not integrating into MBAM (at least not for the short or mid term).

• Staff
Plays well with others?

(I run KIS on my 3 rigs, and KL products can be a bit finicky about other real-time security apps.)

In the vast majority of the cases it should play well with others. We've done some testing over the last year and only found incompatibilities with Webroot, Comodo and Trusteer. The Webroot and Trusteer issues were fixed and Comodo issue still remains if I'm not mistaken. If you find other incompatibilities please let us know so we can get them fixed!

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

Hello everyone. I am apart of ZVL team current status is beta testing, forum helper, and compatibility tester while other statuses are still pending on me. For a complete list of compatability and incompatibilty you may go here: http://www.zerovulnerabilitylabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173 As for me, I guess I have another reason to come back to MBAM. Keep up the good work guys.

In the vast majority of the cases it should play well with others. We've done some testing over the last year and only found incompatibilities with Webroot, Comodo and Trusteer.

For a complete list of compatability and incompatibilty you may go here: http://www.zerovulnerabilitylabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173

Thanks to both of you -- If I understand the link at the ZVL page correctly, it appears that KIS itself will probably be fine, but the Safe Money feature won't?

So, it seems one might need to disable "MBAE" to run Safe Money?

(FYI KL is substantially reworking this feature (and many other features under the hood) for their next version update -- 2014 -- which is currently in beta testing for public release within the next few months.  So, you might want to look into that. :))

Thanks!

daledoc1

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

Hello daledoc1. If you were to post an issue about ES at KIS, it might increase it's chances of being compatibility to the next version and future versions. I will run a re-test for the 2014 version, as you request. Thank you for the update.

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

Same issue with B-boy. I just manually terminated explorer.exe and restarted it and ES does not show in taskbar, but does still show in processes. Seems like a bug to me. Will have to update the known issues section for this. Thank you for reporting. If you have anymore issues, feel free to post here or at the ZVL forums as I have a few hours free and can post quick replies for you.

Hello daledoc1. If you were to post an issue about ES at KIS, it might increase it's chances of being compatibility to the next version and future versions. I will run a re-test for the 2014 version, as you request. Thank you for the update.

Hi:

Actually, in my experience as a home user of KL products, they are not particularly receptive to end user requests/inquiries for this sort of thing, either via Tech Support or at their use forums.

(Heck, they still do not update their browser plugins for Firefox in a timely manner, despite a long-standing groundswell of user complaints...)

So, I suspect this sort of request to evaluate/resolve compatibility problems might be more effective if conducted through "official" channels?

It may well not be readily resolvable for the Safe Money feature, as the "sandboxing" may be inherently incompatible with the Anti-Exploit program.

But I'll leave that for the experts to sort out. :)

Thanks!

daledoc1

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

I actually have no clue what the issue is with KIS safe money feature. I only tested out the AV and firewall parts. A user posted that issue up, but wasn't very descriptive about it. As for sandboxing, I know some sandboxes have exclusions and adding exclusions makes these 2 compatibility. Other then that, I haven't known of any sandbox compatibility with ES.

• Staff

Btw, when explorer.exe is killed by some reason and restarted the program icon is no longer shown in the system tray (the process is still running in the background).

Yes this is known issue. In the future as we develop the GUI and service from scratch this should be fixed. For now its just an annoying bug. You can kill the process and run it again to recover the traybar icon.

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

On a kind of different subject, who will be managing Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit now? I would like to pm the person about my old position.

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

We have known issues with tray icon. Sometimes a fail load will happen and the tray icon won't show. Also, it could be an incompatibility with one of your other security apps. Can you check on that?

Hello ROCKNROLLKID,

When google chrome is started it instantly crashes down due to MBAE running. When I either stop the MBAE through the stop protection button or exit it the mentioned browser opens normally. I have comodo firewall, webroot secureanywhere and Rapport trusteer. Any help is highly appreciated.

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

Thanks for your feedback. In comodo firewall, there is a protection module called HIPS. Please check and tell me what this is set to? We have had previous issues with this feature and MBAE.