Need help in this issue...

I was sent here from the networking forum when I asked for help, they said I need a further one-on-one expert assistance, I'm having problems on a certain site www.animeultima.tv where I can't access it from time to time, I'm getting the page error 137, cannot find server and the likes, for the other details and logs I was made to do, here is the link:  http://forums.malwar...128711&p=698275

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Let's see what we can find on the system that might be causing an issue.  Please run the following scans and post back the logs.

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from one of the following links: Link1 | Link2 | Link3
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected. [*]Click on OK [*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 02

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from HERE

• Unzip the contents to a folder in a convenient location.
  • Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exe
  • Follow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.
  • Click on the Cleanup button to remove any threats and reboot if prompted to do so.
  • Wait while the system shuts down and the cleanup process is performed.
  • Perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If they do, then click Cleanup once more and repeat the process.
  • When done, please post the two logs produced they will be in the MBAR folder... mbar-log.txt and system-log.txt

STEP 03

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus

STEP 04

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode to your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes to allow it to run.
  • Under Actions click on the Delete button.
  • Click OK on all prompts.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the entire contents of that logfile to your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[s1].txt where the number in brackets indicates how often it was run.

STEP 05

button_eos.gif

Please go here to run the online antivirus scannner from ESET.
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked
  • Click on Advanced Settings and ensure these options are ticked:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology

[*]Click Scan [*]Wait for the scan to finish [*]If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file.... [*]Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please click on START - All Programs -> Startup

In there you should find a shortcut for ERUNT AutoBackup

Please either delete that entry.  That is causing the alert on reboot because it needs Admin rights. 

Next, please run the following.

Please download the following scanner from Kaspersky and save it to your computer: TDSSkiller

Then watch the following video on how to use the tool and make sure to temporarily disable your security applications before running TDSSkiller.

PC Winvids - How to run Kaspersky TDSSKiller

If any infection is found please make sure to choose SKIP and post back the log in case of a False Positive detection.

Once the tool has completed scanning make sure to re-enable your other security applications.

Next, download Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

• Root Admin

Interesting.  Please try to download and run this tool.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

• Root Admin

Are you able to download the TDSSKiller link now?

The logs show you have a bad block on one of your disks which is not good.  A bad block though it may be able to mark it to not use it is generally a sign that the drive is probably starting to fail. 

Error: (07/04/2013 08:57:40 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Though it may potentially last a while you should prepare for a failure and make sure you backup all your important data to an external drive.

After you backup the drive then try to do a full disk check.  You don't want to do it before the backup as it could stress the drive and cause it to fail sooner and then you wouldn't be able to backup data. 

When ready you want to run the FULL option here for both of your drives:
8. To Scan and Automatically Attempt to Fix Errors and Recover Bad Sectors:  How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7

If your computer has a built-in diagnostics to test the drive then run that.  If not there are some you can find online from the MFG or from disk drive MFG if you need help let me know.

• Root Admin

There really is no "fix".   If it were crossed linked files, or invalid indexes, etc then yes it could easily be fixed.  However a bad block is due to physical deterioration that cannot be fixed.  If or when it will escalate to a point that it can no longer reliably save data is unknown.  It could be a year it could be you wake up tomorrow and the drive is just dead. I've had that happen to me twice over the years on my own computer and it's a rude awakening to find that any data that is not backed up is now permanently GONE and cannot be recovered.  That's why I say you should really backup your data now while you can to an external drive.  Then look at buying a new drive as soon as you can and in the meantime keep data backed up just in case.

Please see if you can download TDSSKiller from here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/

its been almost a year since I had this desktop, and when I asked the place where I bought it, it is still under warranty, I could still ask for a replacement right? the new link is not working too, same result as the last one, there was a prompt to download but the no size or anything...

• Root Admin

You can certainly try to see if they will warranty replace the drive, doesn't hurt to ask.

Did you disable your antivirus when trying to download TDSSKiller?  Perhaps it's blocking it? 

Please download and run RogueKiller 32 bit to your desktop.

RogueKiller<---use this one for 64 bit systems

Quit all running programs.

For Windows XP, double-click to start.

For Vista or Windows 7-8, do a right-click on the program, select Run as Administrator to start, & when prompted Allow to run.

Click Scan to scan the system.

When the scan completes > Close out the program > Don't Fix anything!

Don't run any other options, they're not all bad!!!!!!!

Post back the report which should be located on your desktop.

oh boy....guess the DNS my ISP provided was the one causing me not to be able to connect to sites...when I used google's public DNS, all is now well ...who would've thought I skipped one of the easiest ways  :wacko: ....but if you are seeing some suspicious things in my logs, I would really love to clean it though..

• Root Admin

There was a little bit of junk but nothing major.  I would still like to have you run the TDSSKiller though just to make sure there is nothing there.

Also please run this now.  I'll check on you some time tomorrow as it's quite late here for me now.

Next, download Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.