Disabled.SecurityCenter

yardbird

Ignore or Remove, right now I have this in Ignore. On the other PC I removed it! any ideas?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34

Database version: 1875

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/19/2009 9:31:32 PM

mbam-log-2009-03-19 (21-31-22).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 64174

Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Hi "exile360"! thx. for the reply! I read that thread while you replied, just finished it. Well one pc I removed it a day ago. And on this Dell 2200 I put it in Ignore.....Let me/us know what it is in time?... PS: Using Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 for a firewall & av scanner.

Yes! Trend Micro comes up clean except for a few cookies it removes... This 2009 version of TM- Internet Security has a taskbar rt. mouse click with a new feature to "Disconnect from Network" which if I had to walk away from the notebook for while I would use this feature... don't know if it has any bearing? So one pc I removed the Disabled.Security Center. and was asked by MBAM to do a reboot? But all works ok. And on the notebook tonight....this problem is the only item in the Ignore list. Even though I read that thread you replied for me to read. I'm still not sure whats going on. But I'm over-worked & tired. been up to many hrs.... thanks for the reply...

No problemo. Basically what's happening is, normally in XP (since the release of Service Pack 2) Microsoft added the Security Center to Windows. It's a tool that lets you check the status of your setting for automatic updates (Windows Updates) and the current status of your anti-virus (whether it's enabled, disabled, or definitions need to be updated). However, the Security Center can only monitor anti-viruses that have been programmed to take advantage of it, so if you had an av that didn't communicate it's status with Security Center, then Windows would let you know that you don't have any anti-virus installed (even though you do). What many security vendors, like Trend Micro, have started doing is having their own built in "Security Center" type interface that lets you know the status of the av and all that so when you install their software, it automatically disables the notifications from the Windows Security Center so that if your av gets turned off, you don't have twice the notifications (one from the Windows Security Center and one from the av program itself). The reason that malware would disable this setting is so that it could disable your av without you being alerted to the fact that your protection is turned off, but obviously your protection is on because you were able to do a scan with it. Malwarebytes' is just letting you know about the setting being disabled in case malware had made this change and not your av, so you can safely ignore it in this case.

Thanks for the explanation! I do have my (windows updates) set for: Notify Me but don't automatically download or install them! I do have Service pack 3 on both pc's, which you replied service pack 2... but your explanation was a relief after I read it twice! now I know whats going on....thx. for the time you took for a detailed explanation!

• 1 year later...

hello ive just been reading this forum and it has helped sort of to understand what this actual registry is. and what the people above have been affected i have been too after open a email from postmaster which i did not know was a virus or malware. and after i installed MBAM i got this results

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

11/6/2010 4:25:09 PM

mbam-log-2010-11-06 (16-25-09).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 168099

Time elapsed: 27 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 3

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

and i have removed it after i told me to reboot which i did, and after that sometimes the firewall says its not turned on and turns back on again leaving me confused but it hasnt happened that quite recently, also my anti virus is AVG and i didnt seem to find anyone use the same program or have the same effect, because when i start my computer my av (AVG) has a yellow caution sign maybe stating its disables and after a few seconds it immediately turns back on? it does it everytime and its really irritating, also i had a computer tech friend and he says to ignore it because MBAM has already removed it. And please someone can you write a clear message is that registry key anti virus disable and firewall etc is a virus or something should i be concerned? and its funny because my computer works fine? apart from the fact my Anti virus (AVG) has a caution sign then disappears..

ANYONE WHO HAS READ THIS PLEASE PLEASE REPLY ASAP! D; In need of assistance THANK YOU!