Want to vent about bad antivirus software? What are your worst experiences?

davidmg

I need more information to select an antivirus program. I thought I might start by eliminating the bad ones Anyone can tell me about a good experience with an antivirus program. Can you tell me about a bad experience with one or which ones just irks you ?

I started this post and have two sites which might help others with this difficult question. 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp
   for paid antivirus  or

http://freebies.about.com/od/computerfreebies/tp/best-free-antivirus.htm
   for free antivirus.

Please note the free antivirus article lists the programs alphabetically not best to worst. 

Firefox thanks for responding again. If you believe these article deserve a wider audience help list them where others can see them. THANKS

Thanks for posting those articles, but as for the content, I believe they are just opinions and this can be debated over and over again.

Get 10 experts in one room and you will have 10 different answers. Best thing to do is try them out for yourself and go with what works best for you.

The ones we suggested here on the forum, were also opinions from screen317 but most of us here would agree since we have tested them all....

Firefox,

The first link is to pc magazine, they did testing with twelve infected computers. Not something I am likely to replicate.

Also the rated MBAM top malware remover. That fact alone reinforces their other opinions. Check it out.

Thanks for pointing that out, but once again I have seen many articles/test were they claim this one is better and that one is better and what not.

I know not one antivirus program is going to be 100% effective and that is why we like to run layered protection.

I for one use a corporate versions since I work for a business, and I am using three different version (not all on the same network). We have Sophos, Symantec Endpoint Protection, and McAfee Enterprise. All good products and all have their own faults.

Off subject, I can't wait to run MBAM on my mothers computer. She is 76 and has had her computer 10 years, loves Facebook. Her computer is "protected" by Microsoft security essentials and has windows xp. She never surfs risky sites. I wonder what MBAM will turn up.

She recently received a phone call from someone that stated they were a Microsoft employee and that she had a malware infection. He wanted her to do something on her computer. She did not comply but is now worried about malware. I am the family person to call about computers. I did contact Microsoft and report the persons telephone number and that they represented themselves as a Microsoft employee. MBAM is going to give me and mom peace of mind. Priceless to me.

Firefox,

Thanks for the great info. Very interesting. I just purchased MBAM pro for myself. People like you do help sell the product I was going to buy it in about 10 days but my credit card kept burning a hole in my pocket.

I am going to get the word out to friends and family. Better to have MBAM before you need it than after you need it. I also notice a lot of support forums. GREAT JOB EVERYONE.

From my personal experiences and my favorite Antivirus of choice is and always will be ESET NOD32.

I have been using it for years and it has never let me down and I haven't noticed it to hinder my computers performance.

I have never had any infections using NOD32 but, thats also because I only surf safe and don't click any unknown or suspicious links.

No Antivirus will protect you 100%, so practicing safe browsing habits goes a long way too as well as keeping all your software up to date including your operating system.

Antiviruses that I had bad experiences with are Norton, McAfee, AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! I personally do not care for any of those.

I seen and have worked on so many computers with one of them installed and the computer would be highly infected with all sorts of nasty stuff all while the Antivirus is sitting there saying everything is peachy keen.

That's my personal experience using Antiviruses, I stick to what works best for me, and in this case obviously, NOD32.

Also like Firefox has said, everyone has their own answers and opinions, so what you hear will vary greatly.

Take Care!  :)

I am new to MBAM just purchased pro today. Did not know I was not supposed to post this question. I am not implying any AV programs are bad. Just asking for any INDIVIDUAL bad experiences. I am NOT ASKING ANYONE TO ENDORSE ANY AV PROGRAM. Please feel free to shut this question line down anytime you deem it necessary. I have not seen any zelots around here yet.

Toby_Jackson,
Thanks for your time and input.

And this is the type of posts that we've asked not to post.  There is simply no way that all the major av products are bad.

I hope you're not referring to me, as I am posting my opinion. I never said they were bad I said I had bad experiences with them thus I do not care for them.

If you did mean me, you need to to reread my post and not jump to conclusions so fast.

I think you're upset because the majority of the Antiviruses that I said I had bad experiences with you guys recommend, thats not my problem.

Thats another reason right there, what Toby_Jackson said, that I don't care for Avast! most of those freebies try to offer / install crapware.