Infected laptop need help

Hello,

I am trying to clean up my DH's laptop, it started out with secure system antivirus virus and I thought I got it all but it is still doing odd things so I don't think it is completely clean even though Malwarebytes is showing no malicious items on a quick scan I just did on it.

I just downloaded dds and have both files on the desktop ready to post.

Thanks!

Lady Cutter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's lots of adware on the system.

Please uninstall these from your add/remove programs: (if possible)
DefaultTab
SySaver

Then......

Please download AdwCleaner from here and save it on your Desktop.

AdwCleaner is a reliable removal tool for Adware, Foistware, toolbars and potentially unwanted programs.

AdwCleaner is a tool that deletes :
· Adwares (software ads)
· PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program)
· Toolbars
· Hijacker (Hijack of the browser's homepage)

It works with a Search and Deletion method. It can be easily uninstalled using the "Uninstall" mode.

• Right-click on adwcleaner.exe and select Run As Administrator (for XP just double click) to launch the application.
  • Now click on the Search tab.
  • Please post the contents of the log-file created in your next post.

Note: The log can also be located at C:\ >> AdwCleaner[XX].txt >> XX <-- Denotes the number of times the application has been ran, so in this should be something like R1.

Note:
Please look over what was found......especially any folders, we're going to permanently delete it all in the next step....if there's something you may want to keep...please let me know and I'll explain to why it shouldn't be on your system.
If you see AVG Secure Search being targeted for deletion, Here's Why and Here. You can always Reinstall it.

Please note that Antivir Webguard uses ASK Toolbar as part of its web security. If you remove ASK by using Adwcleaner, Antivir Webguard will no longer work properly. Therefore, if you use this program please use the instructions below to access the options screen where you should enable /DisableAskDetections before using AdwCleaner.

You can click on the question mark (?) in the upper left corner of the program and then click on Options. You will then be presented with a dialog where you can disable various detections. These options are described below:

/DisableAskDetection - This option disables Ask Toolbar detection.

MrC

It's all adware......

Some of adware found....lets clear it out.....

• Please re-run AdwCleaner
  • Click on Delete button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart. Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
Note: You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[sn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Then......

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from HERE

• Unzip the contents to a folder in a convenient location.
  • Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exe
  • Follow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.
  • Click on the Cleanup button to remove any threats and reboot if prompted to do so.
  • Wait while the system shuts down and the cleanup process is performed.
  • Perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If they do, then click Cleanup once more and repeat the process.
  • When done, please post the two logs produced they will be in the MBAR folder..... mbar-log.txt and system-log.txt
To attach a log if needed:

Bottom right corner of this page.

more-reply-options.jpg

New window that comes up.

choose-files1.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note:

If no additional threats were found, verify that your system is now running normally, making sure that the following items are functional:

Internet access

Windows Update

Windows Firewall

If there are additional problems with your system, such as any of those listed above or other system issues, then run the fixdamage tool included with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and reboot. It's located in the Plugins folder which is in the MBAR folder.

Just run fixdamage.exe.

Verify that they are now functioning normally.

MrC

I am having trouble running the mbar, I downloaded it to MY laptop, then cut and pasted it to my flashdrive, then pasted it on to the laptop which is having issues and after I extract all files into a folder on the desktop it says the folder is empty...what am I doing wrong?

Anne

yes it does but it has been slow so was working with the flash drive to keep things moving...I just tried downloading from the infected laptop and I got it downloaded but it is doing the same thing, perhaps I don't have an up to date unzip software program on this laptop..I will try again.

Anne

Same thing just happened, I downloaded the mbar and right clicked on the zipped on, chose extract all and browsed to "new folder" on my desktop which I just created. When I open the new folder there is one folder called mbar and when I click on it, it say file is empty...

I don't know what you're doing wrong...do this instead:

Please read the directions carefully so you don't end up deleting something that is good!!

If in doubt about an entry....please ask or choose Skip!!!!

Don't Delete anything unless instructed to!

If you get the warning about a file UnsignedFile.Multi.Generic or LockedFile.Multi.Generic please choose

Skip and click on Continue

If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue

Please note that TDSSKiller can be run in safe mode if needed.

Here's a video that explains how to run it if needed:

How To Run TDSSKiller

Please download the latest version of TDSSKiller from HERE and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

image000q.png

• Put a checkmark beside loaded modules.

2012081514h0118.png

• A reboot will be needed to apply the changes. Do it.
  • TDSSKiller will launch automatically after the reboot. Also your computer may seem very slow and unusable. This is normal. Give it enough time to load your background programs.
  • Then click on Change parameters in TDSSKiller.
  • Check all boxes then click OK.

clip.jpg

• Click the Start Scan button.

19695967.jpg

• The scan should take no longer than 2 minutes.
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

67776163.jpg

Any entries like this: \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 ( TDSS File System ) - please choose Skip.

If in doubt about an entry....please ask or choose Skip

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.

Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

62117367.jpg

Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.

• A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here. There may be 3 logs > so post or attach all of them.
  • Sometimes these logs can be very large, in that case please attach it or zip it up and attach it.

Here's a summary of what to do if you would like to print it out:

If in doubt about an entry....please ask or choose Skip

Don't Delete anything unless instructed to!

If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue

If you get the warning about a file UnsignedFile.Multi.Generic or LockedFile.Multi.Generic please choose

Skip and click on Continue

Any entries like this: \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 ( TDSS File System ) - please choose Skip.

If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.

Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can attach the logs if they're too long:

Bottom right corner of this page.

more-reply-options.jpg

New window that comes up.

choose-files1.jpg

MrC

Run TDSSKiller again and choose Delete for this one only if found: (no need to post the log)

19:29:15.0663 3208 \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 ( TDSS File System ) - skipped by user

19:29:15.0663 3208 \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 ( TDSS File System ) - User select action: Skip

MrC

OK...next:

Please download and run ComboFix.

The most important things to remember when running it is to disable all your malware programs and run Combofix from your desktop.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Information on disabling your malware programs can be found Here.

Make sure you run ComboFix from your desktop.

Give it at least 30-45 minutes to finish if needed.

Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

---------->NOTE<----------

If you get the message Illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion after you run ComboFix....please reboot the computer, this should resolve the problem. You may have to do this several times if needed.

MrC (I'm gone for tonight, be back in the AM)

help, I messed up and told AVG to temporary disable until I restarted and it did but ComboFix is preparing the log report now and an AVG window popped up saying Trojan horse PSW.Generic11.ASJG was detected!

My choices are Protect Me (let's AVG deal with it)  or Ignore the threat...what do I do now? 

Sorry for my error...

I have the log ready on the other laptop (one I have been working on) but when I try to log back into this forum I got another rogue search bar...I will wait to hear back from you on what I should do about the AVG pop up and I have disconnected that computer from the internet...

Thanks..

Anne

Looks Good.....

Open up Malwarebytes > Settings Tab > Scanner Settings > Under action for PUP > Select Show in Results List and Check for removal.

Please Update and run a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, post the report.

Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

Please let me know how computer is running now, MrC