mism.exe

Hi. I haven't posted since November 2012, but I received valuable help then, so I'm hoping I'll get help again now :) .

I ran a full scan today on my desktop PC (I'm posting this from my laptop) and Malarebytes detected something called mism.exe in C:\Program Files\Vuze\.install4j\user, and the vendor was PUP.Optional.Conduit.A. I quarantined and removed the file, then ran another full scan in safe mode and nothing was detected. I looked up mism.exe but couldn't find much about it. The "user" folder it was found in was created on the 1st of July, which was when I last updated Vuze.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I know Malwarebytes has recently started cracking down harder on PUPs, and I think that's a good thing, but I don't know if this is was a harmless nuisance caused by a checkbox that I should or shouldn't have ticked, or something more sinister.

Hello AntP,

A few things that need addressing:

Always scan in Normal Windows Mode.  Malwarebytes is more effective in normal mode. If normal mode is not a option, then of course safe mode will work. More Info HERE

Quick Scans are the recommended scan to use by the Dev's of Malwarebytes.  It is designed to find the most malware. It knows where to search. More info HERE

What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?

See HERE for improvements being made to Mbam concerning PUP's

Of course you always have this option to get help from a Expert

Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

• 3 months later...

Hello and :welcome: , gijoe50000:

This thread is a bit old, and each computer is unique.

Without seeing the scan logs, it's impossible to say for sure.

However, we don't analyze logs or work on possible malware issues in this particular section of the forum.

So, the best bet would be to follow our forum Admin's advice in his earlier reply to the OP >>HERE<<.

One of the malware experts will guide you, one-on-one, through some scans and any needed cleanup.

Hope this helps,

daledoc1