Infected computer- Appreciate help!

zionstrat

Hello, 

I have followed the advice from the sticky post and I have uploaded the log files (one for the Asus that is infected and one for the Toshiba that is on the same network that I hope is not infected)-

In one place it told me not to upload the 'attach' file until asked, so I have a copy ready to go and  I would appreciate your input asap-

If you are interested in background, on 9-15 Avast reported that there was a high severity rootkit problem at windows\_Temp\asw_aisl.tm~a11060- I told avast to move it to the chest, however, it responded 'error this is not supported'

Since that time I have had regular crashes, blue screens, etc.

I ran regular malware bytes and the chamelian version and they didn't find anything- However, malwarebytes rootkit detector claimed there was a missing file and then identified a rootkit virus- 'an unknown rootkit virus' . However the app would hang and not fix the problem-

I'm way over my head and appreciate any and all input!

Much appreciated

ZS

dds-ASUS.txt

dds-toshiba.txt

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disconnect the second PC from the Network for now, using the PC you assume is infected run the following:

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Kevin

Ah, looks like I was close to you when I took the train from London to Edenbourough! First time I ever saw the North Sea and for some strange reason it felt like I was home... have a lot of Carter blood in the family and the US version were fisherman, so maybe the UK forefathers were as well.

Anyway, don't worry if you don't get to it tonight, but thanks in advance either way!
ZS

That log is OK, you can close RK out. Continue as follows:

1.Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from this link:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

2. Unzip the File to a convenient location. (Recommend the Desktop)

3. Open the folder where the contents were unzipped to run mbar.exe

Image1.png

4. Double-click on the mbar.exe file, you may receive a User Account Control prompt asking if you are sure you wish to allow the program to run. Please allow the program to run and MBAR will now start to install any necessary drivers that are required for the program to operate correctly. If a rootkit is interfering with the installation of the drivers you will see a message that states that the DDA driver was not installed and that you should reboot your computer to install it. You will see this image:

mbarwm.png

5. If you receive this message, please click on the Yes button and Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit will now restart your computer. Once the computer is rebooted and you login, MBAR will automatically start and you will now be at the start screen. (If no Rootkit warning you will go from step 4 to 6.)

6. The following image opens, select Next.

Image2.png

7. The following image opens, select Update

Image3.png

8. When the update completes select Next.

Image4.png

9. In the following window ensure "Targets" are ticked. Then select "Scan"

Image5.png

10. If an infection is found select the "Cleanup Button" to remove threats, Reboot if prompted. Wait while the system shuts down and the cleanup process is performed.

MBAntiRKcleanA.png

11. Perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If they do, then click "Cleanup Button" once more and repeat the process.

12. If no threats were found you will see the following image, Select Exit:

Image6.png

13. Verify that your system is now running normally, making sure that the following items are functional:

•      
  • Internet access

• Windows Update

• Windows Firewall

14.  If there are additional problems with your system, such as any of those listed above or other system issues, then run the 'fixdamage' tool included within Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit folder.

15. Select "Y" from your Keyboard, tap Enter.

16. The fix will be applied, select any key to Exit.

17. Let me know how your system now responds. Copy and paste the two following logs from the mbar folder:

System - log

Mbar - log   Date and time of scan will also be shown

Thanks,

Kevin...

I'll try it, but per my intro note, I had run this app before I contacted you- It did say it identified a problem, but then it got hung up- I let it run for 1/2 a day on Saturday- It never reached the clean up stage- I had to stop it each time I tried it (2 or 3 times) and it gripped that I shoudlnt stop it, but I'm willing to try it again-

M

Run windows defender offline tool, see how this progresses... Sleepy time for me....zzzzzzzzzz

Do you have access to another PC to create the Widows Defender Offline Tool, I give the instructions to load to a USB flash drive.

Download the tool from here :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline and save to the Desktop.

You will have to select the correct version for your system, either 32 or 64 bit

Run the tool, Windows 7 or Vista user right click and select "Run as Administrator"

Read the instructions in the new window and select "Next"

WD2.png

In the new window accept the agreement:

WD2a.png

In the new window select your USB Flash Drive, then select "Next"

WD3.png

In the new window ensure you Flash drive is selected, if not click on "Refresh" then select "Next"

WD3a.png

In the new window accept the formatting alert by selecting "Next"

WD3b.png

Files will be Downloaded:

WD4.png

Files will be processed and created

WD5.png

Flash drive will be formatted and prepared

WD6.png

Files will be added to the Flash Drive and the tool will be created.

WD7.png

The procedure is finished and the Tool created, click on "Finish" to complete.

WD8.png

Plug the USB into the sick PC and boot up, if it does not boot from the flash drive change the boot options as required,  Use F12 as it boots, change options...

As it boots you`ll see files being loaded and the windows splash screen, eventually the tool will run a "Quick Scan" follow the prompts and deal with what it finds.

When complete do a full scan, deal with what it finds.

When finished, remove the USB stick then press the Esc key to boot into regular windows.

Navigate to the following file:

"C:\windows\windows defender offline\support\mssWrapper.log" Open with notepad and copy and paste it into a reply.

Kevin...

Ok, I'm stuck and I'm guessing it is something that I did-

I made the 64bit dvd on the 32 bit machine and put it in the 64 bit machine-

Then I did f12 to get the bios screen and I activated boot option 2 which listed my CD drive first 

Then I booted and windows defender ran- however after it ran for a few minutes,  it stopped with the message:

This app can't be started. Eror unable to detect a windows system device- this could be due to missing drivers, an encrypted device, or a corrupt windows instalation- Error code- ox8004cc01

So I did f12 back to the bios screen and got a shock- the old option1 is now gone- Option 1 is the boot from CD drive that I had selected when I enabled option2- Best I can tell, the original boot option1 is gone  and I cant see how to get it back-

I think this is important because I have 3 drives-

1. DVD/cd

2, Solid state

3. regular spinning hard drive

So I think I'm stuck at the bios window although the PC will still boot-

Will try to launch the app after windows is running but not expecting that to work