Should I run Malwarebytes in Safe mode?

Hi Guys, Last week I was told by various sites that my accounts had been hacked and hijacked.

Running Malwarebytes on an almost daily basis it found stuff and killed it for the first two days.

Now it runs clear.

Being of a paranoid nature I am still a little worried.

Does it help to run Malwarebytes in safe mode, like they say to run A/V?

Hello Chippychap!

MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware works in Safe Mode, but It's not designed to work in Safe Mode.

To get you fixed up please follow the instructions here:

I'm infected - What do I do now?

And post your logs in a new topic here:

Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal or scanning tools exept those that you are

instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult.

note: if for some reason you are unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one.

If you can't even run HijackThis, then just post here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs describing your issues and an expert will reply with further instructions.

I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing. :P

Hi Ken Keep the programs updated ever day & night if you can, your mbam & AV, thank you. Post back with any questions if we can help. I saw your post early this morning, but I was helping 2 other people.. sorry for the delay in response, regards....

MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware works in Safe Mode, but It's not designed to work in Safe Mode.

Is there any reduced functionality of MBAM when run in Safe Mode? Is it less effective at finding and removing malware when run in Safe Mode?

• Root Admin

Yes, MBAM works better and was designed to run in Windows Normal Mode. If you can run it in Normal mode then you should. If you can not but it will run in Safe Mode only then that is better than nothing, but once you have the system running better you should scan again in Normal Mode.

Thing that I feel is weird, at first none of my A/V stuff was picking anything up.

Companies were saying that my machine had been hacked.

I load MBAM and it finds tons of trojan droppers and bad stuff.

After a couple of goes MBAM is cool with my PC.

I load the Avira and it lights up with nasties.

Run it a couple of times and it 's now calm.

There won't be many days when I don't run one or the other.

Be happy guys and thank you for being there.

Ken

• Staff

Just an overall note here comparing detections, it's always best to list what some other scanner has detected, such as the file\registry path or cookies(non threats, we don't even detect them, unless specific threats)) or what have you.

Without that you really cannot compare what one detects to another. Not to mention that posting of infection names, unless something really big like Koobface, or Waldac is another useless stat.

Naming conventions are not universal across the security community. So what one calls abc.32Win.Trojan another may call Downloader.Win32. And still another will call it Trojan.Small Downloader. And don't get me started on how some vendors add letters to infections which just further still muddies up detection comparisons.

Just an overall note here comparing detections, it's always best to list what some other scanner has detected, such as the file\registry path or cookies(non threats, we don't even detect them, unless specific threats)) or what have you.

Without that you really cannot compare what one detects to another. Not to mention that posting of infection names, unless something really big like Koobface, or Waldac is another useless stat.

Naming conventions are not universal across the security community. So what one calls abc.32Win.Trojan another may call Downloader.Win32. And still another will call it Trojan.Small Downloader. And don't get me started on how some vendors add letters to infections which just further still muddies up detection comparisons.

I think it is time for someone to step up and get all the vendors to work together and come up with a common naming convention for all malware. It would benefit everyone. But there may be a competitive reason that I just can't see, which may stop that from happening.

Thanks for the information on running MBAM in Normal Mode versus Safe Mode.