Decorum

False Positive:

This IP: 64.202.189.170 is a GoDaddy address for my personal homepage www.abckinney.com (a perfectly safe page of links).

Are you seriously banning GoDaddy servers?? Please...update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to add an exception list as soon as possible. Blanketing entire servers without an exception list is absurd.

Also, if I turn off IP Protection, it is automatically re-enabled after re-boot. Why? If I turn it off, I want it to stay off. Is there another way to disable IP Protection permanently? Or do I have to wait for an update for this too?

Perhaps you would consider putting any future "improvements" in front of a test group before subjecting the entire user population to a poor kick-off of a new feature? This type of "shove it down your throat" development process is a good way to lose customers. And in this market, every customer counts.

Sorry for the rant...but this one is REALLY annoying.

I can't comment on why the IP in question is blocked. When MysteryFCM logs on he should be able to tell you.

I will pass on the comment of IP protection turning itself back on even after a reboot.

As far as beta testing, we do beta test MBAM. There are always things that will be missed no matter how much you beta test a software. We are currently looking into the possibility of adding IPs to the ignore list and silent IP logging without the pop-up balloon.

64.202.189.170 is home to a slew of malicious domains, which is why it is included. If GoDaddy responded to abuse reports and took down the malicious sites, they wouldn't have been blocked.

http://hosts-file.net/?s=64.202.189.170&view=matches

In addition to this, SudoSecure have also identified this IP as being part of the Waledac infection.

In reference to possible "silent IP logging", MBAM will not allow me to access my homepage at all (unless I turn off IP Protection). If not for the pop-up balloon, I would not have known why I couldn't view my web page. If possible, perhaps is should be "semi-silent IP logging"? Silent when there is only a warning but the web page is allowed to load, then an actual descriptive pop-up for those pages (like mine) that are not allowed to load at all.

Do please let me know if you come up with a solution to the IP Protection turning itself back on after reboot.

Thanks.

I can't comment on why the IP in question is blocked. When MysteryFCM logs on he should be able to tell you.

I will pass on the comment of IP protection turning itself back on even after a reboot.

As far as beta testing, we do beta test MBAM. There are always things that will be missed no matter how much you beta test a software. We are currently looking into the possibility of adding IPs to the ignore list and silent IP logging without the pop-up balloon.

64.202.189.170 is home to a slew of malicious domains, which is why it is included. If GoDaddy responded to abuse reports and took down the malicious sites, they wouldn't have been blocked.

In addition to this, SudoSecure have also identified this IP as being part of the Waledac infection.

There are 220 sites under that IP listed as malicious in some form or another. How many THOUSANDS of other sites are unjustifiably being blocked because they happen to share the same IP? You say it's GoDaddy's responsibility to disable these sites, but I would submit that MBAM should share some responsibility here as well. In other words, if GoDaddy is taking the easy route by ignoring abuse reports, then so are you by ignoring the other end of the spectrum. Obviously, the relatively easy solution for all parties involved is the addition of an IP Protection Exception List.

I recognize the intent, as do so many others who have written in, as a good one. But the execution of this feature, and the blatant failure of the BETA users to pick up on this incredibly obvious problem should get some serious consideration.

The IP protection turning back on after a reboot is a known issue, however I'm not sure whether or not it will be fixed in the next version. I'll get back to you on that when I know.

The beta was by no means a failure. As I stated above, things will always be missed when testing software. Issues that we came across were fixed and when we felt it was ready, MBAM was released. There are some things that still need to be fine tuned and over time and the next few updates/versions those things should be fixed/improved.

The IP protection turning back on after a reboot is a known issue, however I'm not sure whether or not it will be fixed in the next version. I'll get back to you on that when I know.

The beta was by no means a failure. As I stated above, things will always be missed when testing software. Issues that we came across were fixed and when we felt it was ready, MBAM was released. There are some things that still need to be fine tuned and over time and the next few updates/versions those things should be fixed/improved.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the BETA issue. Thanks for recognizing and addressing the outlined issues. Looking forward to the next release. Hopefully sooner than later. Cheers!

There are 220 sites under that IP listed as malicious in some form or another. How many THOUSANDS of other sites are unjustifiably being blocked because they happen to share the same IP? You say it's GoDaddy's responsibility to disable these sites, but I would submit that MBAM should share some responsibility here as well. In other words, if GoDaddy is taking the easy route by ignoring abuse reports, then so are you by ignoring the other end of the spectrum. Obviously, the relatively easy solution for all parties involved is the addition of an IP Protection Exception List.

I recognize the intent, as do so many others who have written in, as a good one. But the execution of this feature, and the blatant failure of the BETA users to pick up on this incredibly obvious problem should get some serious consideration.

PERFECTLY said!

This update seems to have caused more harm than good. Not only is it an annoyance, but now I'm experiencing a complete lock-up when booting the computer. I was able to uninstall MBAM and that solved the problem and improved performance. I wonder how many others have had this happen to them? I won't be trying your program again...at least until there is a major update. Hopefully you'll make an announcement for your next program overhaul. Your anti-malware program became too great of an annoyance to be worth any good it might have once offered. Too bad really. Please don't ask me any questions about the specifics of the boot-up problem I was having. I just don't have the time or patience for any more of this. I'll have to rely on AVG and Stopzilla to keep my online travels safe for now. Hope to see a new and (much) improved version down the road.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. My gaming clan website "www.akaclan.org" is registered through Godaddy and apparent is also on the blocked IP 64.202.189.170. I'm sure there are hundreds of legitimate websites that are being blocked by blocking that IP. If you insist on blocking whole domain name servers it would be nice to have the option of excluding sites from the block or at least be able to turn IP Protection off and have it stay off.

I didn't really buy the full version of the program because I needed it. Everything I needed was available in the free version. The wife's not that good on computer security and got a few stubborn bit of malware a couple of times on her computer which Malwarebytes was the most effective in removing. The reason I bought the full version even though I didn't have to was because I think things like these should be supported if you find them useful. But I am a little irritated that it's blocking a lot of legitimate sites since that's not what I bought it to do.

This one has already been removed. Please check you've got the latest update.

Did you send out an email notice to let your customers know that this issue had been resolved with a new update? I didn't receive anything. And if you'll recall, I was one of the ones who stepped away from using your program until the issue was resolved. An announcement could bring back customers that you may have once lost...