Error Code : 702 (0, 453)

Hey guys, nice to be back for once- I haven't updated MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware in a long time, so I decided thats the first thing I would do. The download for the update ran fine, once it started installing the update, I got a mysterious update error (Error code : 702 (0, 453)) right after detecting a false positive for a rouge remover that I had made. Tried again, get the same error. Thanks in advance

-Noah

Hi Noah! Try this: and post back please: Refresh us on what your AV/Firewall is to?

(Error occurred expanding variables)

let see if a total removal & a clean tool & reinstall helps....

please try a clean tool below, remove the program and re-install again

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and run a Quick Scan.

@ Noah

Regarding your last post, just to clarify for you in case you didn't' know the difference, Malwarebytes is NOT an anti-virus program, it is an anti-Malware program. AVG is an anti-virus program though :)

And I am sure you know this too, but you should NEVER run more than one antivirus at the same time as this can cause problems.

Nice to see you again in here also! :)

@ Noah

Regarding your last post, just to clarify for you in case you didn't' know the difference, Malwarebytes is NOT an anti-virus program, it is an anti-Malware program. AVG is an anti-virus program though :)

And I am sure you know this too, but you should NEVER run more than one antivirus at the same time as this can cause problems.

Nice to see you again in here also! :)

MBAM is not in real-time protection, I know it's anti-malware program. Thanks. :)

Great to be back!

Noah! I can't find any more info on this error, The Clean & un-install tool did it for 4-6 users, and it worked. Do you want to go into the HJK forum?

Well, I doubt it's anything with malware. Is there a way I can manually delete the files associated with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware?

Does your AVG trust these files:

Go to AVG, then add our files to the exclusion list:

Right-click the AVG icon in the system tray.

On the shortcut menu select Launch Control Center.

Click the 'Tools' tab, select Advanced settings...'

Scroll down or select 'Exceptions'

Click 'Add List' and copy and paste the following list of files:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Click OK 3 times.

Reboot your PC.

Let us know, maybe you missed one?

@ Noah

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if you were sure.

You're welcome!!

We're glad to have you back!

Good luck sorting this out, I am not sure how to resolve it unfortunately.

@noah

It sounds like something is missing that the clean tool is expecting to see and that's why it is failing. If you can, try re-installing MBAM without any updates. Then go through the whole control panel - add/remove programs, uninstall, reboot, clean, reboot, re-install the latest version process like Yardbird outlines in post #2.

If it still fails, you can perform a manual deletion of the program but the clean tool is the preferred method so that you don't have to go into the Windows registry.

These directions are for XP32. Note that Vista and X64 file locations are a little different.

First delete the following three folders

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
  • C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Malwarebytes

and two files

• C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Then click on Start - Run and type in "regedit" without the quotes.

When regedit opens, navigate to the two keys below and right click to delete them:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

NOTE: Be very careful here. You don't want to delete anything else except those two keys or you may mess up your entire Windows installation to the point that it is unable to boot again.

When finished, reboot the computer and re-install the program and see if you are able to run updates.