Error 732(12029,0)

I have gotten error codes for the last couple versions of Mbam but didn't bother to update. I've disabled the firewall and the virus programs but the code is still the same. I've looked at other error codes on this forum but can't seem to find this one. Suggestions?

Clicked on your link and checked out the automatic update setting in IE 8 although I use Firefox. With Firefox closed and IE8

open, tried the update again. Tells me to report error 732(12029,0). No more information available.

Thanks

By the way, also used Revo to uninstall, rebooted, downloaded the mbam-clean file and tried to run it which gave me another error message then reinstalled mbam. All else works or seems to except the update function.

Hi ghinfla,

Please see Section D of the FAQ here.

If this suggestion does not work for you, please post again with details of any error messages you may receive.

Hi ghinfla,

Sorry about that. I seem to have pointed you to the wrong section in my previous post.

Please do the following to see if it corrects the updating problem:

Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity of Internet Explorer:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box copy and paste the text in the following code box exactly as written and press Enter or click on OK:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• Try updating again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 2

Step 2: Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Now try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware once more and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 3

Step 3: Verify Your Internet Connection Settings:

• Open Internet Explorer
    • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser

[*]Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options

• Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up

[*]Click on the Connections tab

[*]Click on the LAN settings button

[*]Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it

[*]Under Proxy server make sure that the box next to Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) is not checked and if it is, click the box next to it to uncheck it

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window

[*]Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works correctly

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks ;)

I've used Malwarebytes for several years and have occasionally encountered problems with it's inability to load it's own files.

I also use Avast every month or so as a second check just to be sure.

This morning I deleted version 1.39 and installed version 1.44, but still have the same problem, Error 732(2,0).

I have a problem with any software that for whatever reason can't find and download files from the manufacturer's database.

This to me is an indicator that the software is incapable of correctly installing.

As I have the latest version as of this morning and it still wont work I think I'll start using Avast as my main anti virus scanner until the faults in malwarebytes are corrected..

ps: All the best wishes for the new year,

KAKTUS.

I have a problem with any software that for whatever reason can't find and download files from the manufacturer's database.

This to me is an indicator that the software is incapable of correctly installing.

This has nothing to do with installation. It normally has to do with Internet Explorer settings, like "Work Offline", proxies, etc.

As I have the latest version as of this morning and it still wont work I think I'll start using Avast as my main anti virus scanner until the faults in malwarebytes are corrected..

Our software is not anti-virus software, and should not be used without a real-time anti-virus installed. ;)

This has nothing to do with installation. It normally has to do with Internet Explorer settings, like "Work Offline", proxies, etc.

Thank you Arthur for your rapid response.

I use Firefox not IE, and am certainly not working "Off line" so I don't understand what has gone wrong with Malwarebytes that has prevented it from downloading the latest definitions, I get the message,

An error has occurred, please report the following error code to the Malwarebytes anti Malware support team.

Error Code 732(2,0)

The System cannot find the file specified.

Our software is not anti-virus software, and should not be used without a real-time anti-virus installed. :D

I have Avast running in the background as anti-virus, but I like to have Malwarebytes to scan at least once a week, and before each scan I update the definitions file.

I am not able to do this now. ;)

@ KAKTUS

Malwarebytes updates via (settings in) Internet Explorer ;) (Anyone please correct me if I am wrong)!

If Internet Explorer is set in "work offline" mode, that could be cause for it not updating. Please check to make sure that IE is not in offline mode.

Thank you Arthur for your rapid response.

I use Firefox not IE, and am certainly not working "Off line" so I don't understand what has gone wrong with Malwarebytes that has prevented it from downloading the latest definitions, I get the message,

You should set your anti virus to run at least once a week if it is the Pro version, more often if it is the free version - The browser you use is not in any way adding or detracting from the fact of not updating - As long as your online settings are OK then the only other thing is to add exclusions to your A/Virus - You need Internet Explorer settings to be set on line to get updates as mountaintree16 has stated -

If you read this post (linked below) it should help you -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=182584

Also a clean new copy of Malwarebytes can be downloaded if you follow item #7 from the link below -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...ost&p=49525

Thank You - ;)

@ noknojon

I do not have avast! anti virus set to run a scan every day as its resident protection makes this un-necessary and can only be scheduled with avast! Pro just like Malwarebytes Full.

This is the equivalent of having Malwarebytes run a Full scan every day.

Your other points are good to follow though.

You should set your anti virus to run at least once a week if it is the Pro version, more often if it is the free version - The browser you use is not in any way adding or detracting from the fact of not updating - As long as your online settings are OK then the only other thing is to add exclusions to your A/Virus - You need Internet Explorer settings to be set on line to get updates as mountaintree16 has stated -

If you read this post (linked below) it should help you -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=182584

Also a clean new copy of Malwarebytes can be downloaded if you follow item #7 from the link below -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...ost&p=49525

Thank You - :)

To both links above I got the message...

Page Not Found

Unfortunately the page you were looking for could not be found. Please return to our home page.

I don't use IE I use Firefox so IE and it's settings don't enter the equation.

If I can can use the internet quite successfully, as I'm doing right now, with no problems with any downloads except Malwarebytes, the only logical conclusion I can reach is that the fault lies in Malwarebytes.

To prove my point I just downloaded the latest Avast database and then tried to download the Malwarebytes database.....

Sigh!, which just successfully updated the database from Ver 3510 to Ver 3581, Oh well, Such is life.

I could have deleted this post so I wouldn't look like an idiot, but I chose to leave it so that anyone else who has the same problem knows that they're not alone.

I don't know why for 3 days I couldn't update, I just kept getting the message, error 732(2,0), then on the fourth day it works as if nothing was wrong!

I don't use IE I use Firefox so IE and it's settings don't enter the equation.

Yes they do, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware uses Internet Explorer to access the internet, regardless of what browser you use and regardless of which browser you have set as your default:

• Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser

Yes they do, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware uses Internet Explorer to access the internet, regardless of what browser you use and regardless of which browser you have set as your default:

I had to restore defaults in IE. I couldn't find anything amiss so I hit the reset button and it fixed the problem. I had the same problem with Avira and it was fixed too.

A good example that Internet Explorer is used in Windows just enter C: into the address field then you will see Windows Explorer open to the root of the C: drive using a graphical user interface (GUI) for accessing the file systems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

-

This can only mean your Internet Explorer settings are not set for On Line -I am sure all the others could reach them or I would have been informed that I had left a wrong link - You can run 2 3 or 4 browsers on any computer even though only one is usually set as default - I run 3 but I E is set as default at the moment -

F/fox and Safari are both just there if I wish to use them -

Thank you exile360, You are the first person to say clearly that MWB only uses IE to update.

Strange that MWB have coupled their software to what some people consider the worst browser on the net. :(

I don't know why on some occasions MWB would download with Firefox and not other times. :)

@ KAKTUS -

It is not just the browser , it is the Windows (Microsoft) basics - That is the easiest way to distribute a product -

Strange that MWB have coupled their software to what some people consider the worst browser on the net.

Have you ensured I.E. is on line - Then you can read the links that were left for you -

Thank You - :(

Our software is not anti-virus software, and should not be used without a real-time anti-virus installed. :)

Thanks all parties for your patience and help, My problems with MWB have all been overcome thanks to your good advice.

As a newbie to malware/viruses etc, I would like to ask 1 more question,

If as GT500 says, MWB is not an anti virus software what does it do?

I thought that viruses were the problem and as such were malware to be eliminated.

Now I'm unsure... :)

Hello Again KAKTUS -

You will find Malware and Virus's are not exactly the same thing - Malware or malicious software is designed to be more of a pest and it will include programs written to disrupt your computer - A virus is similar but not usually as malicious in its activities - For full definitions between the 2 please refer to Wiki for full descriptions of the 2 items -

name='KAKTUS' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:04 PM' post='185045'

This above quote means your I.E. setings were 'off line' at the time - I am glad you fixed it - :)

Thank You - :)

Just open Wiki and type Malware , read the article , then type Computer Virus , and read that article - the full definitions are too big to explain in one panel here -

Thanks all parties for your patience and help, My problems with MWB have all been overcome thanks to your good advice.

As a newbie to malware/viruses etc, I would like to ask 1 more question,

If as GT500 says, MWB is not an anti virus software what does it do?

I thought that viruses were the problem and as such were malware to be eliminated.

Now I'm unsure... :D

Well, KAKTUS, you live up to your name. You're a bit prickly to listen to/read. These people give you a free program AND support. And you are pissy? hmmmm

Okay, the name of the product is "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware". Hence, it is a "malware" cleaner". "Virus" belongs to a class of programs that can reproduce themselves and infect other computers, much like its biological analogue. Malware can't do that.

Here are some definitions for you:

Malware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Computer Virus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus

Avast! and MBAM are the top two tools in my arsenal of repairing software issues in my business. I make damn sure that every one of my customers are given the opportunity to have them installed on their computer before I give them back to them. And many have purchased the Pro version of both products.

You make your own decisions, but careful as a newbie. Some would not be so gentle with ya.

Peace,

OneRing2Rule

Well, KAKTUS, you live up to your name. You're a bit prickly to listen to/read. These people give you a free program AND support. And you are pissy? hmmmm

Okay, the name of the product is "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware". Hence, it is a "malware" cleaner". "Virus" belongs to a class of programs that can reproduce themselves and infect other computers, much like its biological analogue. Malware can't do that.

Peace,

OneRing2Rule

Prickly?, Pissy?... MOI?:D

Thanks to yourself, noknojon and Wiki I now have an understanding of the difference between Virus and Malware.

It's good to know that my "Arsenal" is the same as yours.

Thanks for all the assistance shown to a dumb newbie.

Cheers,

KAKTUS.