19-hour full scan...

Just completed a full scan on a friend's machine (Averatec 3200 Series, Mobile AMD Sempron, 1.6GHz single processor, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HD). I started the scan before I left the office last night. It only JUST completed. Time elapsed: 18 hours, 59 minutes, 29 seconds(!!!). Is that normal? I know the machine is nothing to write home about, but that scan time strikes me as horrendously bad. Thoughts?

Welcome Eric.Hope -

An average Full Scan can take from 45 mins to 2 hours - After that I would be concerned about infections or major computer problems -

Did the scan show any results (other than clean), also have you done a Quick Scan on this machine (10 mins-30 mins maximum) - Again after 30 mins I would be concerned - My 3 1/2 year old XP SP3 takes around 7 mins for a Quick Scan and maximum 1 1/2 hours for a Full Scan -

Current updates show 1.44 Version 3716 -

Thank You - :)

Hi, noknojon.

Thanks for the response. I'm afraid it came up with nothing. And the application was only just installed yesterday, with updates applied. I don't anticipate having to do another full scan for quite some time, but I thought I should at least look into this, as it seemed unusually long.

Did you clean out the temp files prior to the scan?

ATF Cleaner and/or CCleaner would be a good choice for this, I can provide you links to both if you need them.

Nearly every time I come across a machine like that, I run chkdsk and find errors. I suggest running this test BEFORE anything else. It may save some data that would otherwise be lost. Then run CCleaner or another tool to remove uneeded files.

I have also seen slow scan times when Windows Update is trying to download while the scan is going. This is another reason why a boot scan is so good.

I have 50 minute Quick scans and 14 hour full scans. I'm sure there's something left on my computer, but what?

I had the Internet Security 2010 virus which I, like an idiot, hit the X button trying to click it off, which of course activated it. Immediately scanned with Norton 360 and Spy-Bot . They both found 3 problems. Rebooted as they suggested, then couldn't get past the Windows Welcome screen and couldn't get into safe mode. Spent more than a week researching on a laptop to figure out how to get the desktop working. Finally found my XP recovery disk, did a repair, was able to get into Windows and Internet, immediately downloaded Malwarebytes which found 10 problems (thanks). I've defragged, disk clean-up. I've run Glary Utilities to clean up junk files, duplicate files and out-of-date/not needed Registry files, CCleaner, Super AntiSpyware, Windows Defender, ad nauseum. I currently only allow Malwarebytes and Norton 360 to run at start-up and run the other programs manually. And I uninstalled Spy-Bot in favor of Malwarebytes, which I purchased. Again, thanks. Ran a CHKDSK yesterday, no errors found.

I have Dell Dimension 4700, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.80 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows XP Home Edition, SP3 (which I had to re-download because after the recovery disk's repair it was back at SP2, and I'm up-to-date on Windows Updates). I have 71.8 GBs free on a 146 GB disk. Currently as I'm typing this I'm running a Quick scan, (I usually don't have anything else running when I do my scans, FYI), and Task Manager says I'm using 2% of CPU usage with 34 programs running and the scan is very, very slow.

Here's the last full scan I did. The last quick scan, also with nothing detected, took 50 minutes. Sorry to be so verbose.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3694

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

2/6/2010 4:27:20 PM

mbam-log-2010-02-06 (16-27-20).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)

Objects scanned: 97068

Time elapsed: 14 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Note to self: Always follow suggestions in previous posts. I did a Quick Scan in Safe Mode and it only took 9 minutes. It's probably StupidNorton that slows down the scan. Does Malwarebytes have a known conflict with Norton or vice versa? StupidNorton always likes to blame other programs without taking any responsibility at all, so just curious. Thanks.

Some AV have conflicts, to avoid the conflicts you can exclude the processes that MBAM uses from your AV to avoid it. See below:

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Lynn32, your computer system has problems though they may not be infection related. A full scan of a drive that small will usually complete in less than an hour - - not 14 hours. I do maintenance on systems to get back to "new system performance" but cannot do it remotely. There are many things that can cause poor performance. Have you ran chkdsk yet? Have you looked at Event Viewer for problems?

If you don't get it working better soon, I suggest backing up your files and reloading XP. That should fix it and save you from wasting many more hours trying to diagnose the problem.

I worked on a PC last year that ran terribly slow. It turned out to be the disk drive controller on the motherboard. I put in a 2nd party PCI ATA controller (~$30) and it ran great.

Also, be careful not mixing too many active resident protections or tools.

This can be checked, if you want, using a tool. Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Note to self: Always follow suggestions in previous posts. I did a Quick Scan in Safe Mode and it only took 9 minutes. It's probably StupidNorton that slows down the scan. Does Malwarebytes have a known conflict with Norton or vice versa? StupidNorton always likes to blame other programs without taking any responsibility at all, so just curious. Thanks.

Just saw your latest post. Good to hear the Safe Mode scan worked better.

Yes, conflicts appear to be more common now. Both Symantec/Norton and Avast! now conflict with Malwarebytes. i never had a problem with Avast! before version 5. Follow Firefox's instructions. I find that it is worth the extra work to keep Malwarebytes running on PC's. It really does provide an extra level of protection.

@ sys-eng -

Note that I have a clean computer XP SP3 about half the size of Lynn32 and my scan times have always been about 7 1/2mins Quick scan and

1 1/2 hrs Full scan - That is my average over the last 1 - 2 years - Note that No 2 comps scan the same -

Regards - :)

EDIT - MBAM is not designed to operate in safe mode unless while being checked by an expert -

@ Lynn32 - Please continue with advice from Falkra -

To add to Firefoxes exclusions this was from the Norton site -

For Most New Norton Products

Add exclusion to Auto-Protect and Risk scan

1 Start your Norton 2010 product.

2 In the Computer pane, click Settings.

3 Under Exclusions, next to Scan Exclusions, click Configure.

4 If you want to exclude a file from scan, under Scan Exclusions, click Add.

5 Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

6 If you want to exclude a file from Auto-Protect, under Auto-Protect Exclusions, click Add.

7 Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

8 Click Apply > OK

EDIT - @ sys-eng ,"Avast! now conflict with Malwarebytes." This has been fixed - See Avast Forum for latest details -

And if you read above Symantic/Norton has released an exclusion variation that works - (From Symantic site) -

Thanks everyone for reading my post and responding so quickly.

Here's my Security Check text:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.1

Windows XP Service Pack 3

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!

Norton 360

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

Windows Defender

HijackThis 2.0.2

CCleaner

Java 6 Update 11

Out of date Java installed!

Adobe Flash Player 10

Adobe Reader 8.1.7

Out of date Adobe Reader installed!

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

Norton ccSvcHst.exe

Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe

DNS Vulnerability Check:

GREAT! (Not vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning)

`````````End of Log```````````

I updated my Norton 360 to version 3, which made it easier to find the Scan Exclusions and exclude the files mentioned.

Then did a Quick Scan in Malwarebytes. Results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3741

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

2/15/2010 8:12:22 PM

mbam-log-2010-02-15 (20-12-22).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 161453

Time elapsed: 36 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I then did a SuperAntiSpyware scan which took 39:30 minutes and found 1 Adware.

I know the sensible thing is to reload Windows XP. I have backed up everything I need in case, but I'm hoping I can get this darn thing to work. Thanks!

noknojon - While Malwarebytes is not designed for safe mode scanning, there are some infections that are removed in that mode. SystemTool is one of them. Malwarebytes was ineffective at blocking or removing it in normal mode but quickly cleaned it in safe mode. I like to try the more simple fixes first.

Oh, and sorry, Virusgobyby: Hope you were asking me, but I'll answer regardless. Yes, I used CCleaner. Twice actually. It actually fixed some problems I had with the slowness of my post-virus computer, but didn't fix the slow Malwarebyte scans. Just did a Norton 360 scan in 3 hours and 23 minutes. A lot faster than the 14 it took to do a full scan in Malwarebytes.

Super AntiSpyware is not active. I chose to have Norton 360 and Malwarebytes active. I thought I wasn't supposed to have too many things going at once. I used to have Norton 360 and Spy-Bot, but discontinued Spy-Bot when I discovered Malwarebytes. I scan with Super AntiSpyware manually.

Oh, and I know the message above was for someone else about running Malwarebytes in safe mode, but it does say something to the fact that something's wrong with my computer if it took 9 minutes to do a Quick scan in Safe Mode and more than 45 minutes in normal mode, with my Internet disconnected and unplugged and Norton's anti-virus and firewall turned off, with 2% of CPU used and nothing else running. So Malwarebytes is conflicting with something, but I can't figure out what.

Hi Lynn32 -

It was also meant for you to read (the quote) - Malwarebytes misses many of the files it is designed to scan when done in safe mode -

There was a quick ask (discussion) between a couple of the advanced members about it - That was where the quote came from -

If you have done a Disk Cleanup (from Accessories>System Tools) , a Error Checking (Open My Computer>Right click >Properties>Tools>Error Check) as well as using C Cleaner (defrag is the only other one not mentioned) then you seem to have a more severe problem -

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums please read and follow the instructions below -

Please print out, read, and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - As the volunteer experts are very busy in that area it may be up to 5 or so days for a reply -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Thank You - :)

EDIT - An update to current (1.44 Version 3748) should only take a few mins (even on a slow ISP) - If it takes over 5 mins this is also a problem -