Problems with Win7 Backup?

Just to save me several hours of time, I'm wondering if there are any known conflicts with Windows 7 Backup and MBAM?

Or, to put the question another way - Is anyone runninng Windows 7 Backup with MBAM (paid for) installed?

My Win7 system runs flawlessly except for the Win7 Backup (even the Restore works OK)

Tell me there ain't no conflict with Win7 Backup and the Paid for MBAM please. - This will save me time. I'm an old guy and don't have as much time left as I'd like!

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Rock on MBAM!

You know, I've been having probems too. I'm not getting error messages, it freezes up and doesn't continue through with the full backup. I'm running win 7 64 with MSE and MBAM....

I'm doing the backup with the image if that makes any difference...

Just to save me several hours of time, I'm wondering if there are any known conflicts with Windows 7 Backup and MBAM?

Or, to put the question another way - Is anyone runninng Windows 7 Backup with MBAM (paid for) installed?

My Win7 system runs flawlessly except for the Win7 Backup (even the Restore works OK)

Tell me there ain't no conflict with Win7 Backup and the Paid for MBAM please. - This will save me time. I'm an old guy and don't have as much time left as I'd like!

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Rock on MBAM!

You know, I've been having probems too. I'm not getting error messages, it freezes up and doesn't continue through with the full backup. I'm running win 7 64 with MSE and MBAM....

I'm doing the backup with the image if that makes any difference...

Hmmmmmmm. I'm running W7 64 with MSE & MBAM too. I am so pissed with that MS Backup. I mean really, if it can't play nicely with he rest of the well-behaved kids in the schoolyard then it should be forced to go the detention room and write on the blackboard: "I will learn how to code properly" 10,1000 times or something!

I'm running Win 7 Ult x64 w/ NIS2010. Two days ago MBAM (paid) was installed and excluded in NIS. I have a daily backup w/ image scheduled @ 4am (to an internal 1TB hard drive) using the built-in Windows backup utility. Ever since MBAM was installed the computer eventually becomes unresponsive once the backup has started. As an example I'll click the start button or try to pull Firefox up from the taskbar and they will appear on the screen. However Task Manager will not open up. A few seconds later you can continue to move the mouse but can no longer click on anything. After waiting several minutes the system is still not responding, so the only option is to press the reset button on the tower. What I have noticed in the even log (system) is that MBAM appears to be interfering with the Volume Shadow Copy service.

Event ID: 7009

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Volume Shadow Copy service to connect.

Event ID: 7000

The Volume Shadow Copy service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event ID: 10005

DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service VSS with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{0B5A2C52-3EB9-470A-96E2-6C6D4570E40F}

There are no more events generated until the pc is restarted. If I disable real-time or uninstall MBAM the problem goes away.

** added reference to backing up to an internal hard drive

A few seconds later you can continue to move the mouse but can no longer click on anything. After waiting several minutes the system is still not responding, so the only option is to press the reset button on the tower. What I have noticed in the even log (system) is that MBAM appears to be interfering with the Volume Shadow Copy service.

Event ID: 7009

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Volume Shadow Copy service to connect.

Event ID: 7000

The Volume Shadow Copy service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event ID: 10005

DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service VSS with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{0B5A2C52-3EB9-470A-96E2-6C6D4570E40F}

There are no more events generated until the pc is restarted. If I disable real-time or uninstall MBAM the problem goes away.

Thank you Elitekiller - those are PRECISELY the symptoms generated here too. I must have turned my system off and on like that 20 times or more over the last few weeks. I just hold my breath that it doesn't cause any hard drive errors or failures.

An additional annoyance/embarrasment was that I just gave a community presentation for over 2 hours on "Moving to Windows 7 and why". I dared not demonstrate the Backup feature for the reasons above. Yes, annoying and embarassing - the ONLY aspect of my complex & professional computing life that does not work! For what it's worth I use the Backup software that came with a 1TB Seagate SATA drive. It works just fine (as does a secondary redundant Xcopy - always my favorite anyway).

So, is this a question of MS Backup not playing nicely with the rest of the well-behaved kids in the schoolyard or, is this something that MBAM needs to look into?

Any volunteers to help MBAM tech. support work this one out? - if indeed further analysis demonstrates this to be the "conflict.

How can we help here and get this resolved asap.?

Another question to be asked I s'pose is "Does anyone using MBAM (paid for) manage to execute a successful MS Backup - image or not"?

An additional comment I have is that MS Backup - of late - certainly does not have the most reliable or transparent reputation. However, they are touting this "new and improved" feature in Windows 7 and, consequently, not only is it an embarassment for me to demonstrate this to corporate and home users alike - on MY system w/Powerpoint Demo and projector - but, will now make me have to check B4 selling MBAM to those on single systems using MS Backup. Darn IT!

thanks for the great feedback - saved me an hour and a reboot or two! I truly do appreciate that. Yes.

Yes EliteKiller nailed it. Thats what I should have said was unresponsive and yes have to push the reset button also....

Yes!! that is what I am experiencing also. I have to turn off the protection in order to keep my system from locking up. I'll report this to Doug and see what he says.

fwiw I'm as Elitekiller is on this - Win7 Ult 64Bit w/MSE as the AV. Plenty o' RAM.

I have a virtual machine running Windows 7 Pro x64, although there is no AV. I just have to drag and drop some files in after setting up a backup, and then fire up the protection module. ;)

I changed Win7 Backup shedule from weekly to daily on my Win7 system to 7:00pm then let a complete backup occur that took about 10 minutes without problem and I even made an additional Win7 Repair CD to have as backup.

I do have an extra internal 160GB hard drive that I use as backup storage as I added a 320GB hard drive that I installed win7 64-bit Home Premium fresh on.

I have a virtual machine running Windows 7 Pro x64, although there is no AV. I just have to drag and drop some files in after setting up a backup, and then fire up the protection module. ;)

Pls. explain a li'l more for me... "...and then fire up the protection module.."

Does that mean that on your virtual machine you are turning off the protection module b4 you "drag'n drop"?

Also, virtual mode does produce some weirdness with host o/s's.

For example, I can email invoices fine out of that awful QB software when no virtual XP session is open (under host Win7) but, when an XP virtual session is open (under Host Win7) that awful QB software refuses to email an invoice. My point being that there appears to be not a clean distinction or separation between the virtual session and its host O/S.

I'm just positing here that just because a Win7 Backup works in a virtual session ....... don't mean squat to do with it working or not in a non-virtual session.

Maybe that's all irrelevant? Sorry to waste your time....

Pls. explain a li'l more for me... "...and then fire up the protection module.."

Does that mean that on your virtual machine you are turning off the protection module b4 you "drag'n drop"?

The protection module is not normally set to start with Windows on my virtual machines. I have to start it manually when I want to test with it.

Also, virtual mode does produce some weirdness with host o/s's.

For example, I can email invoices fine out of that awful QB software when no virtual XP session is open (under host Win7) but, when an XP virtual session is open (under Host Win7) that awful QB software refuses to email an invoice. My point being that there appears to be not a clean distinction or separation between the virtual session and its host O/S.

I'm using VMware Player, which does not cause as many weird issues. It is true that a virtual machine is not the same as a physical computer, but normally it works OK for testing issues like this. If it doesn't, then I do have Windows 7 Pro x64 on my computer, I just don't mess with it unless I actually need to, as it is my main operating system.

I'm just positing here that just because a Win7 Backup works in a virtual session ....... don't mean squat to do with it working or not in a non-virtual session.

Since I am using VMware Player, the backup will work the same. The protection module should also work the same. ;)

The protection module is not normally set to start with Windows on my virtual machines. I have to start it manually when I want to test with it.

I'm using VMware Player, which does not cause as many weird issues. It is true that a virtual machine is not the same as a physical computer, but normally it works OK for testing issues like this. If it doesn't, then I do have Windows 7 Pro x64 on my computer, I just don't mess with it unless I actually need to, as it is my main operating system.

Since I am using VMware Player, the backup will work the same. The protection module should also work the same. ;)

'k. goddit. thanks for the enlightenment. appreciated.

'k. goddit. thanks for the enlightenment. appreciated.

My Windows 7 virtual machine just finished backing up a little under 3GB of stuff over the network, and it never froze. It did take a while, so I will have to make sure that the protection module didn't make it run slower. If I don't find anything, then I will rerun the tests on my physical PC.

Well I'm not sure whats going on.....

I'm backing up to an external hard drive, the only time I have it on is when I do the backup. This morning while it was off I went into the backup program and was going to look at some of the settings. I clicked on the change settings button and the same thing happened, the computer became unresponsive. Did a reset and disabled protection on MBAM, clicked on change settings and same thing again...

Did a reset, turned the external hard drive on, then clicked on change settings again and now the options window came up...went through and looked at the settings, didn't change anything. I'm doing a manual backup with a system image. I left protection on with MBAM.

Okay, what the heck, decided to try it, hit the backup now button....worked just fine....

For me anyway, right now, it seems like its just a "roll of the dice" if it does the backup or not....

Awhile back I did try a restore from image just to see if this thing is actually making a viable image of the OS. It does work, I took out my hard drive and put in the same model, velociraptor, booted from the recover disc and did an image restore. Worked just fine...

So, I guess if MBAM was causing problems wouldn't it hang every time I tried to do the backup, instead of hit or miss...

This morning while it was off I went into the backup program and was going to look at some of the settings. I clicked on the change settings button and the same thing happened, the computer became unresponsive.
It sounds like it may have frozen because it had that location saved in its settings, but since the drive was off, Windows could no longer see that location, causing it to have problems since the default backup location was to a drive that was no longer connected (Windows sees it as disconnected when a drive is powered off).

Same problems here for ~4 weeks on the Vista system.

Now that you mention it, it started at about the time I installed MBAM Pro, but I hadn't made the connection!

Files/folders backups generally have been successful (though incremental backups are taking far too long).

Complete PC backup has failed every time (same problem - computer hangs ~95% through backup, cannot kill process (b/c I cannot even bring up task manager), cannot shut down from start menu, have to do hard reboot).

No help from Dell TS or MS forums (though there are many threads about this at various MS boards).

The ext HD has plenty of space.

I can copy/paste files to the ext HD just fine - it's only the Windows backup utility that doesn't work.

I even went out and bought a brand new ext HD, and it won't even start the complete PC backup without generating an error.

Dell claims it's an OS failure and I need to do a deep repair of Windows or wipe the HDD! (Yeah, the standard cop-out. If I'm going to have to go to this trouble, I will be installing 7, not reinstalling Vista)

Did nearly all the troubleshooting suggested at a couple of MS boards, to no avail.

As such, I have not been able to do a complete PC backup for ~1 month.

I am using Carbonite to backup my files (which I disable during Windows backup, of course), and am performing F/F backup regularly (though what should take a few minutes is taking hours!), and even went to trouble of copying all my documents folders to an ext HD, as well (since I work from home and have lots of important files here, I cannot afford to lose my data).

I guess I will try today to disable MBAM Pro during my weekly F/F backup and maybe <gulp!> <gulp!> try 1 more time on the complete PC backup to see what happens....

Would appreciate any advice on this, since a nuke/pave would be a real PIA at this time.

Thanks,

Daledoc1

@ daledoc1

The external hard drive is connected using USB 2.0 that has transfer speed which is a lot slower than an internal hard disk connection's speed.

I gave up on using an external hard drive as it always seemed to fail on scheduled backups for some reason I could not figure out.

I have an extra internal hard drive in both of my systems that I use for backups and they have not failed on me yet.

Introductory video:

How to Install a Second Hard Drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vi9ECQdug

I gave up on using an external hard drive as it always seemed to fail on scheduled backups for some reason I could not figure out.

You might check the USB Controllers/Root Hubs in your Device Manager and make sure they are not set to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. on the Power Management tab. It's possible, even likely, that if the computer had been in a sleep or hibernate state when the backup was scheduled that the backup could not be created because the hub was powered down.

@ daledoc1

The external hard drive is connected using USB 2.0 that has transfer speed which is a lot slower than an internal hard disk connection's speed.

I have an extra internal hard drive in both of my systems that I use for backups and they have not failed on me yet.

Introductory video:

How to Install a Second Hard Drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vi9ECQdug

I had just built a new tower awhile back(for sale) and thats the way that one is setup, doing the backup to an internal. And come to think about it that one hasn't failed yet either and yes it has MSE with full MBAM...

Some of the newer computers and motherboards have an external SATA input, and also some external hard drives too. So thats another route to take that would be much faster...

I was doing the backup originally to a NAS box and that would be hit or miss also completing....but it did work, thats what I used when I did the system image restore to test it..

Yay I can edit:)