Can Someone Tell Me...

Greetings :)

This error indicates that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware had problems connecting to the update server to download updated definitions. Please try the following steps to see if they correct the issue:

Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity Registry Settings:

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you've completed backing up your Registry, please do the following:

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @ECHO OFF
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    del /f /q %0

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Update Fix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
    • Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you must right-click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.

Step 2: Verify Your Internet Connection Settings:

• Open Internet Explorer
    • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser

[*]Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options

• Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up

[*]Click on the Connections tab

[*]Click on the LAN settings button

[*]Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window

[*]Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works correctly

Now try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware once more and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 3

Step 3: Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Step 4: Ping the Content Delivery Network

For Windows XP:

Click on START - RUN and type in or Copy/Paste the following and verify that you get a response

CMD.EXE /K PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

Click on START and in the search line type in CMD and press the Enter key

Then in the DOS console window type in the following and press the Enter key and verify that you get a response

PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Please let me know how it goes.

Hi, Sam!!

Thanks for a most extensive course of action re fixing the EC732!! Also ..Thanks for the New Version 1.45 delivered & installed successfully

this evening! Went in like a dream as usual!

The request was for another poster elsewhere having the problem so I will link him to my post w/ your reply. Hopefully, my earlier advice will have been enough but just in case.... I believe it's in the firewall and probably didn't get ALL the different files ok'd there.

Great service as always here! Thanks again & will post back with results or forward him here if negative. Sandy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Sam!!

Thanks for a most extensive course of action re fixing the EC732!! Also ..Thanks for the New Version 1.45 delivered & installed successfully

this evening! Went in like a dream as usual!

The request was for another poster elsewhere having the problem so I will link him to my post w/ your reply. Hopefully, my earlier advice will have been enough but just in case.... I believe it's in the firewall and probably didn't get ALL the different files ok'd there.

Great service as always here! Thanks again & will post back with results or forward him here if negative. Sandy

Hi Again, Sam!!

The poster has tried numerous things including all of your leads as well as my own & still says "No LucK'.

He later posted that his IE 8 ( & IE 7 before that) won't work at all & gets on the net via Mozilla now. I'm out of ideas now.

I've suggested that he try posting here & to please link to this string to avoid duplication> Thanks again for your time & help! Sandy :D

Hi sandybeach -

Can he post here - There may be another small problem causing this , or can you find out his Antivirus program -

Exile360 has the main solution but there may just be another problem -

Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom when responding -

Thank You - :D

Hi! Thanks for responding!

It's actually his fathers machine. His original post started this way:

"Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop running Vista. I installed Ad Aware, Malaware Bytes Anti Malware, and Avira. I am unable to download updates of any of them. It is not an internet issue as I can go online."

Thru multi posts I variously had him disable AAW, try sys restore, check his dns & net connections , no proxy and manually update MBAM & linked him to exile 360 post. After admitting the IE story, I had him download SAS & manually update & run their repair tools for IE policies & LSP chain repair & scan. Also manually check IE settings to default just in case. Suggested firewall settings , UAC, Security Center settings, Said he'd tried all. No infections found. No Luck.

I admitted I was getting low on ideas suggested he might try here and link to this thread to avoid duplication and suggested others may have ideas. Only "others" response there was basically too many protectors. **** After that he seems to have abandoned the thread (can't blame him). **** I suspect his father probably had Norton or McAfee on the machine originally don't know if removal tools were used. Never replied with what firewall in use.

In other forums he'd posted problems getting 6 machines to work on a non server windows OS network (apparently 5 is the limit) & suspect his fathers machine is or was to be one of the 6. Unless he posts here, I'm considering the thread closed & thanks again for the time & effort! of you BOTH!! :-) Sandy

:D Hi Again -

It would seem that there is an infection causing this problem - The computer needs checking now -

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums, please follow these directions and get him to post as directed -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - The experts can get a bit busy so please be patient -

If you want to remove any other A/V programs please use this site for information -

Thank You - :)

EDIT - Unless exile360 adds extra to this post then he agrees with it -