Can't update with version 1.45 MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12150, 0, WinHttpQueryHeaders)

Hi,

I had version 1.44 (full version) installed and today it downloaded the new version (1.45). After it installed I tried to do a manual update to make sure I had the latest definitions and I got the following error message:

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12150, 0, WinHttpQueryHeaders)

I tried uninstalling and using mbam-clean.exe and then reinstalling, but I'm still getting the same error message.

Any ideas?

Tony

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please try to temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and Firewall and try the update again and let me know.

What Anti-Virus are you using?

Hi There,

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2008. I disabled both the antivirus (autoprotect) and the firewall, but it made no difference, same error message. This only started after upgrading to version 1.45. Version 1.44 never had any problems updating, in fact it downloaded version 1.45 via update :-/

Thanks,

Tony

• Root Admin

No you need to set an exclusion in your Firewall for mbam.

I'm fairly certain that these other programs also need to have the firewall told again to allow mbam. They probably have a signature for the old version and are not allowing the new version to bypass.

Please double check and verify that your firewall is either OFF (many people think it is but it's not) and test again. We can assist you if needed but it will take time so I would double check and verify that the AV and Firewall is told again to allow the new versions of MBAM and test again.

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Please download the following files first. mbam-clean and the installer for Malwarebytes 1.45 then make sure you have the registration key and everything needed to re-install your Anti-Virus.

Then disconnect from the Internet and fully uninstall your Anti-Virus and Firewall and reboot the computer. If it's Windows Vista or Windows 7 also disable the built-in firewall after the AV/Firewall removal as it will enable itself after that.

Then uninstall MBAM and then run the mbam-clean tool and reboot. Then install MBAM and register it if its the paid Pro version. Then connect back to the Internet and start MBAM, go to the UPDATE tab and click on the "check for updates" button. Let me know if you're still having trouble updating or not.

Download the required files first and save them. Then run the following while your connection to the Internet is disabled. Only connect back when ready to check for updates.

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

When this is all done make sure to re-install your Anti-Virus and Firewall and check for updates for them as well.

Hi Ron,

I'm glad I don't face the same issue as the other members here. I have installed MBAM 1.45 and run updates without an issue. As a matter of fact I also scheduled hourly updates.

Your suggested solution for members that cannot update, is troublesome and easier said than done. Asking people to Un-Install their AV, then follow a procedure that is questionable, and then asking them to re-Install their AV, in my humble opinion is not feasible. It also is very discouraging.

The point of product update is not to create more issues than it can solve. MBAM update should be smooth and quiet.

I would appreciate your views.

Thanks.

TrDo.

I fully understand and agree and I do not recommend it for everyone. I should have contacted the user via PM as I've now asked and manage it that way and used some other tools to see what's going on.

Thanks.

Hi There,

Any chance you could help me too?

G'day All

Not sure if I should have opened a new topic but I'm getting the same error message as in this topic header after updating my MBAM to 1.45 and then trying to download the latest definitions.

Just to be clear my problem is not updating to the latest version of MBAM, but in updating the malware definitions.

Judging by the number of views of this topic I'm not in a minority.

By way of updating my status and (lack of) progress to date:

1) I tried downloading the latest definitions after disabling my Norton 360 V2.5 AV and firewall ... no success (although I already have MBAM as a firewall exclusion). I've not previously noted any conflicts between Norton 360 and MBAM.

2) I followed the MBAM uninstall and mbam-clean procedure in Advanced Setup's post.

3) I reinstalled MBAM 1.45 (with Norton AV and firewall disabled) without a problem, but still get the same error message when I try to update.

As always, I'm happy to assist in resolving this problem by running diagnostics, etc.

Cheers

Well, I tried a few things:

Removed MBAM.exe from Norton's list of trusted programmes and let it find it again. Same problem.

Removed MBAM.exe from Norton's list of trusted programmes and told it to ask me when something tried to access the internet. Norton warned that MBAM.exe was trying to do just that and I told it allow all access. Same problem.

Turned off all aspects of Norton Internet Security that I could find. Same problem.

Disabled Spyware Guard. Same problem.

Undid all the changes made by Spyware Blaster Same problem.

In desperation I restarted in Safe Mode With Networking (so as to have internet access) Started MBAM an was able to update fine.

So.... something on my computer is stopping MBAM accessing the update server, but it doesn't seem to be Norton, Spyware Guard or Spyware Blaster and that's all the security software (apart from MBAM) that I have.

BTW I'm running XP SP3. I also have a machine runing Vista Ultimate SP2 and I'm having exactly the same is happening on that. :-(

Curioser and curioser.

OK, I've tracked it down. It is Norton Internet Security 2008.

I used msconfig to knock out all the startups, rebooted and was able to update MBAM fine. Then I started to put the startup items back in one by one. The first one I put in was ccApp (which starts Norton Internet Security 2008). I rebooted, tried to update and got the error message.

Now to see if I can get NIS 2008 and MBAM to play nice together.

Will keep you informed.

Tony

I have the same problem-Norton 360 4 blocks the update MBAM. Disabling the firewall doesn't help. Removal and cleaning of MBAM-Clean.exe also not helped. But you can only update in safe mode F8-then version 1.45 is updated successfully. Early version 1.44 was perfectly :rolleyes: