Version 1.45 scans take longer.

Hi, Shaduf. I saw a substantial increase today, but not from changing to 1.45. Today ran a quick scan on my Win7 netbook with version 1.45 and definitions 3947. It took 9 minutes and 47 seconds. Two days ago, I updated to 1.45 and then ran a quick scan using definitions 3939, and it took only 7 minutes and 12 seconds. The two scans covered roughly the same number of items (115,000+). Thus, the scan today took 35% more time than the one two days ago, even though both scans used version 1.45.

I took a look at the timing of a couple more scans. The day before the 7:12 scan, I ran one with version 1.44 and definitions 3930 that scanned fewer items (111,940) but took slightly longer: 7:21. And a few days before that, I ran a scan with definitions 3925 that scanned MORE items (122,152) but took only 6:58.

As far as I can tell from this small sampling, the definitions seem to make more difference than the version number. :)

What we scan and what we find and how we analyze it changes frequently and can affect scan times as you've seen. If using the paid version all of this can be set to update, scan, and remove all silently.

The difference in scan times were for before/after update to 1.45 scans carried out about 10 mins apart on each PC.

The comments made about definitions files by whatmeworry? are valid, but I don't understand what AdvancedSetup is saying, and how it specifically relates to my original question...

The scan engine itself was changed as it now contains a new heuristics detection component used to identify unknown infections called Heuristics.Shuriken, and that would likely account for at least some of the increase in scan time. Another would be that the database that comes with the 1.45 installer is likely a different version than you had with 1.44 before you upgraded and each database version change can often affect scan times.

• Staff

I run scans for each update, flash and quick, on three different systems, works out to be about 24 scans a day:

XP Pro SP3- 512

Vista SP1 Ultimate- 1GIG

W7 Home Prem 3GIG

All 3 show very little if any increase in scan times. People want to associate a new heuristic scan engine and blame the tech, this is just not true nor fair.

Just because it's new does not necessarily equate to faster scan times, it equates to better detection of malware. And that's the bottom line, if we detect better, who's complaining about long scan times? Seems misplaced concerns to me.

My quick scan times take anywhere between 7 mins and 9 mins depending on whether I have rebooted the computer since the last scan, whether or not I've cleared out temp files etc, and what else my computer is doing at the time (behind the scenes, or any applications I have running).

I have not found the times vary any since moving from 1.44 to 1.45, however I'm very pleased to hear that 1.45 employs a new engine that detects malware better. As a user that matters a lot more to me than how quickly the engine scans, particularly when MBAM quick scans are so "quick" (minutes rather than hours).

I don't mean to invalidate anyone in this thread, I'm just trying to put the change into perspective a little. Sometimes new things need a little tweaking too, so please can we give the MBAMs guys a bit of a break eh?

I started this thread because my scans now take longer, and I wondered what others had found. I was not complaining, just curious.

TeMerc - Please note it was Exile360 (Malwarebytes staff) who suggested that my increased scan time could be caused by the new heuristic scan engine, not me. Please slug it out with him!

I have been using this excellent software for years, I am a fan, and would recommend it to anyone.

Of course there are teething problems with new versions - this one is only just out of beta testing!

Bottom line, You are doing a great job guys. Thanks :)

I solved the mystery.

My Scans are taking longer because MBAM CPU usage is now 'topping out' at 100% as described by other users. For example-----

I thought it was just my PC when MBAM spikes at odd times. The problem has been happening on my machine too but after the short spike cpu and mem usage goes back to normal.

Maybe the next version will cure this?

• Root Admin

@Shaduf

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.