MBAM_Error_Updating (12029, 0 WinHttpSendRequest)

I just rebooted my system into Safe Mode with Networking. I ran MalwareBytes and checked for updates. The download was successful in Safe Mode with Networking. My definitions are now up to date but why do I have to go into Safe Mode every time I want to update? Why is it that updating will not work unless I am in Safe Mode with Networking?

• Root Admin

That error indicates that it was unable to connect to the update server. In most cases it is the firewall but could be AV as well.

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Ron,

I am getting the same error listed above and have tried your instructions. I was able to update definitions prior to updating my client to version 1.45. The definitions are currently up to date as the above procedure brought down a more recent version, but I am looking for a permanent resolution for this as I can't reinstall the client every time I need a definitions update. Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks.

-Matt

Ok guys no problem at all with any antiviruses (like norton, symantec, etc.) or any other conflicts.

This is simple as that. 1.45 version requires (earlier versions didn't) if you use a proxy server to access internet to enter it's specifications in mbam specific tab (settings -> update settings).

That' all. Earlier versions didn't require to enter any specifications. Just put in your proxy's address and port and everything works fine.

That goes to any update problems related to mbam 1.45. Greetings from Greece.

Everytime I try to update MBAM, I get this error message. I have added the exclusions to my antivirus (Avast) and my firewall is off. I have tried all the other steps suggested in the forum and nothing seems to work. Can someone please help?

As of yesterday I started to get the same error. I didn't see any Antivirus software running in the systemtray, but it turned out the machine had McAfee protection services running. I opened it and added malwarebytes to the allow list. Update went okay.

I would suggest downloading and using two programs.

1. LSPFIX
  2. Winsockfix

These programs will help you to remove any bad host entries, added .dll files that could be causing you problems, and also help get rid of anything that could be redirecting the web or blocking malwarebytes.

I have followed every step in this forum down to the letter and still cannot get it to update. I either get error code 12029 or 12002. I have uninstalled, restarted, ran mbam-clean.exe, restarted, disabled antivirus(avast), install malwarebytes, launched program and checked for updates only to have the same thing happen again and again. My firewall is OFF and I have set exclusions in antivirus. I have set proxy setting to match connection settings in IE and Firefox. NOTHING WORKS! WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO DO?!!!!!!!!!!

I have followed every step in this forum down to the letter and still cannot get it to update. I either get error code 12029 or 12002. I have uninstalled, restarted, ran mbam-clean.exe, restarted, disabled antivirus(avast), install malwarebytes, launched program and checked for updates only to have the same thing happen again and again. My firewall is OFF and I have set exclusions in antivirus. I have set proxy setting to match connection settings in IE and Firefox. NOTHING WORKS! WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO DO?!!!!!!!!!!

Wait for version 1.46. Hopefully MBAM sees how many people this is affecting and will incorporate a fix for this in their next release.

Everytime I try to update MBAM, I get this error message. I have added the exclusions to my antivirus (Avast) and my firewall is off. I have tried all the other steps suggested in the forum and nothing seems to work. Can someone please help?

To make it update please go to IE dont matter which one you use if its 6 to 8 and go to tools on the top if you dont see it hit alt in your keyboard. then select internet options, and on the top connections tab, then lan settings at the bottom. Where it says Proxy server there should be a box if you click on it it should check and un-gray the address and the port. Go to this address for proxies http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy-list/ and pick any port with the ip and put it in there once your done click ok and exit out of your IE and if you have malware... open exit out of that to. Re-Open Mal... and go to updates and update...

This is cased by a ip block to the update ip in malwarebytes.org by a virus. NOT a harmfull thing just an annoying stoping you from updating.. Prevx csi has this exact same problem expt the ip Block list for Prevx is in C:\windows\Temp direcotry and by cleaning out the temp directory in windows folder with unlocker it should let Prevx run again perfectly... Malwarebytes tho I havent found the block list location which is sad.. and the only way to fix it is to re-install the os which no one wants to do.

One last thing I Have the fix around in Youtube for those that need a visual of how to do what i was talking about on the top. My name in youtube is curemymind and you can put that in the search and you can get all my videos. Best of luck to those with this problem.

Please don't make the proxies in Malwarebytes to match in the IE. The proxies in Malwarebytes will interfear with the proxies in IE even if its the same IP and Port. Remove the Malwarebytes proxies and uncheck the box so its grayed out again. Then Open IE just IE not firefox just IE no matter what version you are using and use a proxi from this address proxi list http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy-list/ . The proxi that works for me is 67.159.178.199 and port 8080 but ull have to find one that works for you. click ok to close and close the IE. Re open malwarebytes and try to update... Again i show how to do this in youtube video.. and have an explination of why malwarebytes is acting like this. And yeah even if you re-install mal.. it still will cause this problem b/c its not a malwarebytes problem its a block list which i cannot find. And the only way to fix it is to re-install the os but i know you dont wana do that so just be paient for someone or me to find the block list to the udpates webpage to malwarebytes.org. And even if you wait for v1.46 I bet the problem will still be there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you have McAfee Firewall enabled, you can correct the problem easily by opening the McAfee Security Center, select Internet and Network, then select Configure. In the Firewall Protection section, select Advanced..., then System Services, then put a check mark on the Web Server (HTTP) Port 80 box. Finish by selecting Apply or OK and you're done.

At that point, you can retry the update from Malwarebytes (no need to restart the program), and it should do the update with no problems.

W.