MBAM Protection Module & VIPRE

I have been using the free version of MBAM for years with great success. I recently purchased the paid version. I'm running MBAM 1.45 and my AV software is VIPRE (4.0.3248).

The problem is that when I check "Enable protection module" in MBAM and reboot, my XP Pro PC locks up right after getting to the desktop (probably during the loading of VIPRE). VIPRE never finishes loading (no icon in Task Tray), I can't bring up Task Manager, and clicking on any desktop icon does nothing and I can't do a proper shutdown. The only thing I can move is my mouse pointer around the desktop. I have to hit the reset button, start in Safe Mode and disable the MBAM protection module. I have already added mbam.exe, mbamgui.exe, mbamservice.exe, zlib.dll, mbam.dll, mbamext.dll, rules.ref, mbam.sys and mbamswissarmy.sys to the VIPRE's "Always Allowed" section.

Any suggestions? Anyone else using the MBAM protection module successfully with VIPRE 4.0.3248?

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

Did you excluded the MBAM files from the antivirus software being used?

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Welcome PGIV -

This may help - It depends on your version of VIPRE -

For those using VIPRE PREMIUM and having problems with V1.45 updating, here is the fix.

-Open VIPRE

-click Web Filter Settings

-click Allowed Web Sites

-add "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com" (without the quotes)

-click OK

Close VIPRE

Now MBAM V1.45 will update normally.

VIPRE This diagram may assist you -

Thank You -

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

Did you excluded the MBAM files from the antivirus software being used?

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

If you read the last sentence in my second paragraph, you would see that I have added those files to the 'always allowed' list in VIPRE. I am using no other firewalls except the Windows Firewall. I am not using VIPRE Premium, which does include a firewall.

Welcome PGIV -

This may help - It depends on your version of VIPRE -

For those using VIPRE PREMIUM and having problems with V1.45 updating, here is the fix.

-Open VIPRE

-click Web Filter Settings

-click Allowed Web Sites

-add "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com" (without the quotes)

-click OK

Close VIPRE

Now MBAM V1.45 will update normally.

VIPRE This diagram may assist you -

Thank You -

I am not using VIPRE Premium (the one with the firewall). I am not having any problems getting MBAM updates. The problem is that I can't turn on "Enable protection module" or my PC locks up on the next reboot. BTW, this happens on all three of my Windows XP machines.

This might sound like a dumb question, but I don't yet see any mention of it in this thread: Do you have "Start protection module with Windows" checked or unchecked??

Seems obvious to me when I read:

The problem is that I can't turn on "Enable protection module" or my PC locks up on the next reboot.

I'm having the same problem as PGIV. I've used the free version of MBAM for years. I bought the paid version today. AV software is VIPRE (4.0.3248) and I'm using Windows XP.

My computer also locks up right after getting to the desktop. VIPRE does not load (no icon in Task Tray), I cannot access Task Manager nor can I click any desktop icons. Must restart in Safe Mode and disable the MBAM protection module.

I do not use VIPRE Premium so my issue isn't the same as those folks are having. . . .

Yes, I have the "load protection module' unchecked, which is the only way I can get MBAM to play nicely with VIPRE and keep my PC (s) from locking up on startup. Essentially, by unchecking the "load protection module at windows startup" I have turned my paid version of MBAM back into the free version.

In checking the VIPRE forums, many are having the same problem with the paid version of MBAM and its realtime protection. There was mention in the VIPRE forums that Malwarebytes had entered into some sort of a partnership with Sunbelt Software (makers of VIPRE). Perhaps the two companies will eventually get the two products to play well together (or better yet, integrate MBAM right into the VIPRE AV/AS software).

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update about the MBAM - VIPRE a/v combo.

(a short note: MBAM real-time now runs fine here with AVAST and Kaspersky I'm now trying for a month)

I had reinstalled back VIPRE (the straight a/v) earlier today, and the MBAMservice doesn't seem to play well with it. (attached pic)

MBAM used around 9% of CPU time, in continuous, while it's completely idle with AVAST and Kaspersky when I do nothing.

Also, the I/O is continuously at around 4MB. (also idle with both AVAST and Kaspersky)

Very strange behaviour.

And since VIPRE and MBAM are now sisters, it should be quite easy to solve, no?

Best regards,

Fran

post-16154-1273968566_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions? Anyone else using the MBAM protection module successfully with VIPRE 4.0.3248?

PGIV: I am using both of the above mentioned products successfully without any issue since last week. Just try the same settings as I have, hopefully it will work for you too

Always Allowed, ignore last four please

2u6eex0.jpg

Scan Options

20gy3iu.jpg

Active Protection

ru9tsi.jpg

Please reply if it works. On a side note, I have not yet configured Scheduled Scans for any, however, after updating I do run Scans manually with both products one after other

Hi, Haider:

Thanks for the helpful tips!

It looks as though your OS is XP and that you are running just VIPRE (not the Premium with FW)?

Reason for asking is that I think I may ditch Webroot ISE on my W7 Pro (x86) laptop in favor of VIPRE Premium.

I ran Counterspy for many years on my XP and Vista boxes, and really liked their products and support.

But I am also firmly in love with MBAM Pro and can't imagine running a computer without it.

So, I want to be sure VIPRE PREMIUM will play nicely with MBAM before taking the plunge... ;-)

(System resources shouldn't be an issue, since I have a robust chipset and 4 GB RAM.)

Anyone else have any advice or feedback on the MBAM Pro + VIPRE PREMIUM combo for Win7 (x86 *and* x64 -- in case I ditch McAfee on my desktop PC)?

TYIA,

daledoc1

Hi, Haider:

Thanks for the helpful tips!

It looks as though your OS is XP and that you are running just VIPRE (not the Premium with FW)?

Thanks daledoc1: for responding, your are right - I am using fully patched Windows XP Professional SP3, and yes it is VIPRE Antivirus 4.0.3275 NOT the Premium Version. I too am a fan of MBAM and that is why I installed the Professional version with real-time protection enabled (actually I am Paranoid when it comes to Computer Security)

I am not at all against VIPRE Premium but I have some other products to complement VIPRE & MBAM. If you would like I could give you details of those

The 60 second delay Registry hack did the trick! Thank you.

I spoke a little too soon.... Although the 60 second delay did allow my PC to start without locking up, other undesirable traits popped up, like mini-freezes (a few seconds) every few minutes. As soon as I turned off MBAM's Active Protection, the mini-freezes went away. I'm leaving the Active Protection turned off for now.