MBAM detection of file that does not exist (not a rootkit)

Tech

Hello, I use MBAM for years... But now I decided to register and login.

This is the second time I have problems with detection of a file that does not exist.

I have tried to solve this problem (twice) with the help of Essexboy (an antimalware guru) in avast forums.

What can I do more to help debbuging this as I'm quite confident this is a false positive.

I have already rum OTL, OTM, Combofix and avast.

External link to where I've discussed this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59953

post-42493-1274550535_thumb.png

I've restored a full partition image from 15 days ago.

Only avast Internet Security was there (no Comodo Time Machine) and the detection persists with the latest virus database of MBAM.

Any help? Should I give up?

This could be an issue with file/folder permissions. Please try the fix located here to see if it helps.

If it does not, then re-create the f.exe file you created previously and leave it in place then do the following:

• Perform a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and allow it to remove the file, rebooting the computer so it can complete removal.
  • Open C: and verify that the file is now gone.
  • Run another Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to see if the file is still being detected or not.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks exile.

The Microsoft fix is for Windows XP/Vista and seems to be dangerous to be applied to Windows 7 that I'm using. It could mess all Windows installation.

I've recreated the f.exe file (copying a new and different executable and renamed it). Direct copy give me access permission denied, even allowing UAC.

Run MBAM. The file was detected, I'll clean and reboot. I'll post after that.

The file is gone after boot.

But the next MBAM scanning detect it again. It's not shown in Windows Explorer (even unhidding files).

I'm afraid to change anything with Microsoft Fix as it is the root driver (C:\).

But the next MBAM scanning detect it again. It's not shown in Windows Explorer (even unhidding files).

I'm afraid to change anything with Microsoft Fix as it is the root driver (C:\).

post-42493-1275394722_thumb.png

post-42493-1275394731_thumb.png

post-42493-1275394743_thumb.png

That's OK, please do the following and we can verify the settings manually without altering anything:

• Open C: and right click in a blank area, not on any file or folder there, and select Properties
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click on SYSTEM under Group or user names: and make sure that Full Control along with all other entries except Special permissions have a check under the Allow column
  • Do the same for Administrators and make sure that Users has check marks for each of the following:
    • Read & execute
    • List folder contents
    • Read

Please let me know if any of the settings differ from what I have described.

Sorry for the double (triple) post... I don't know what happened :)

I've tried to boot from a CD (both Linux and DOS) and could never find a file called f.exe.

There aren't any references into Windows Registry also.

Can anybody help?

I'll give up on MBAM if I can't solve this issue. It's the logical of the lack of support.

I've tested my computer with ComboFix, OTL, OTM and GMER. Neither of them find the file.

The problem seems to be inside MBAM. If not, please, guide me. :)