MBAM_ERROR_updating (122, 0, multiByteToWideChar)

Windows XP SP3 IE 8 or Firefox or Chrome

CA ISS 2010 Plus, but using Windows Firewall

Malwarebytes 1.46.0.1 db ver 4052

I've been getting this error for a couple of months when I attempt to update Malwarebytes before running a scan:

"MBAM_ERROR_updating (122, 0, multiByteToWideChar) The data area passed to a system call is too small."

When I close the error message, it disappears and takes with it, the intended internet connection.

When I uninstall, restart, and reinstall Malwarebytes, it doesn't go for an update, but I can immediately go for a scan. I am not getting any malware. Should I be? or is the updater broken? Shouldn't it just tell me "No updates available at this time."?

On the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware panel, there is a tab labeled Settings > Updater Settings. The only thing checked is "Download and install program update if available." My ISP is www.rr.com in the Albany Capital region - nycap.rr.com. I do not know if I am behind a proxy, if that makes any difference regarding this error.

I ran Ade Gill's procedure (change mbam.exe to mbam.com, etc)

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=23983.

This brought up the Malwarebytes working panel, chose Quick Scan, it ran 3 or 4 extra minutes than usual ("checking out other files," it said). However, it did not find any infection.

Is there something I need to do with this problem, or is it a program error?

jimbo-joyce

Hi jimbo -

Please try this first -

STEP 01

• Open Internet Explorer
  • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser
  • Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options
  • Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up
  • Click on the Connections tab
  • Click on the LAN settings button
  • Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it
  • Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window
  • Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window
  • Use this diagram as a guide
  • Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 02

STEP 02

Disable Internet Explorer Proxy Settings and Reset TCP/IP

It is very important that these steps be carried out exactly as shown otherwise the fix will not work.

If you have any questions please ask before moving on.

• Please start Notepad and using your mouse make sure you select and copy all the information below in the Code box into your new document.
  • Then save the file as "fixme.bat" to your Desktop - The .bat extension is important
  • In the drop down box for Save as type: make sure you select All Files (*.*) and keep the quotes on the name as well. Then close the new file.
    @ECHO OFF
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

• On Windows XP you can double-click the file to run it.
  • On Vista/Win7 you need to Right click the file and choose Run as administrator to run it. With User Account Control on it should ask permission to run it. Click Yes
  • This will flash a black DOS box very quickly and go away, this is normal.
  • Restart your computer now.
  • Launch Internet Explorer and see if you can connect to the Internet.
  • Launch MBAM and check for Updates

Please post back if the problem persists - Also list your Antivirus program -

Thank You - :P

JUNE 11, 2010

Responding to Malwarebytes Forum ( of June 4 10:47 PM)

As noted in my original post (June 4) my original information is:

Windows XP SP3 IE 8

CA ISS 2010 Plus, (Computer Associates Internet Security Suite 2010 PLUS) but using Windows Firewall

Malwarebytes 1.46.0.1 db ver 4052

As per your suggestion, I

Hi Again -

The usual problem in your situation is with your A/V (C.A) - Did this start when you installed C.A. ??

There was a known conflict with that program at this time - Version 4192 is the Malwarebytes current update -

Please disable your C.A. while you reinstall - This allows full access to Malwarebytes - Enable it once you have finished -

This way you should get the updates that are missing -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Thank You -

Please let me know if there is still a problem -

Windows Error Code 122: 'ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER'

Description of Error - The data area passed to a system call is too small.

Errors on your system may be caused by invalid registry entries and outdated or corrupt drivers.

After doing the above Reinstall (without C.A. activated) Then look at the updates for drivers -

This is almost the same as your problem -

Can you also go to Control Panel > System > Device managers and check you have no problem drivers -

Note : My latest information for C.A security -

CA 2010

Open 'My Internet' section.

If so open that up and click 'View Settings'.

Look for 'Identity Protection'

Scroll down to 'Trusted and Untrusted Sites'

Paste in the following:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Tick 'Trusted Site-always allow'

Click 'Add'

Click 'Apply' and reboot

See if that helps

-------------------

In CA ISS 2007 and 2008:

Open the CA Personal Firewall GUI;

Click the 'Privacy' icon;

On the tab: "Internet Browser Protection", click the "Manage Sites" button;

In the 'manage sites' dialog box, click "Add";

In the 'URL' field, paste this URL:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

In each tab of that dialog box, make sure that no boxes are checked;

Click OK;

On the 'manage sites' dialog box, click 'Close";

Close CA Personal Firewall GUI.

2007 Identity Protection:

Open GUI

Click 'Privacy' button

On the left side, click 'Manage Sites' button

At the top right side, add the following url:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Click 'Ok' close software

Thank You - :P

Thanks for letting me know the current MBAM db version. I am at 4052. I think, also, that CA is giving me a little trouble, though I used Malwarebytes A-M for a few months before I had a problem with updates. It may have been because of a security breach I experienced the middle of May or before when the CA firewall was turned off by an intruder. I have had to uninstall CA ISS 2010 twice and reinstall. The second time I just turned off the CA Firewall-part of CA's "My Internet" and returned to using Windows Firewall.

Your instructions look hopeful. I will return a reply in a day or two. Thank you.

jimbo-joyce

Comment before answering your post # 4

Replying to messages in this forum is the most user-unfriendly project I've ever seen on a forum. When I Get to the bottom of your message and click on "Reply, it always returns me to your previous post, instead of a fresh place to type in my post. I've found my messages do get to the right page if I use the Add Reply at the very top of the page. Is something broken?

Reply to noknojon post # 4

I'm here this afternoon to work through your instructions for Removing and Reinstalling fresh copy of Malwarebytes - and I haven't gotten very far.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as instructed and restarted computer easy as pie, of course.

When I was returned to the desktop, the MBAM Icon with which we can open the program was gone, but mbam-setup 1.46.exe is still there with 5.86 MB. It's no longer listed in Add and Remove Programs. Its folder in C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data is there but is now empty.

I thought I would re-download and rerun mbam-clean.exe but it threw an error:

SHGetValue failed with Error Code 0. On a third try it didn't do a thing.

What shall I do with that?

to answer your first part, you can click on Add Reply on the top of the page, or at the bottom of the page..... the reply next to your post, quotes the post you click on.

I thought I would re-download and rerun mbam-clean.exe but it threw an error:

SHGetValue failed with Error Code 0. On a third try it didn't do a thing.

When you run the mbam-clean.exe and you get this error, it is normal, it means that clean tool had nothing to do (I know the wording could be better on the error code).

All you have to do now is download a fresh copy of mbam-setup 1.46.exe and install it and update it.

As I said:

"I uninstalled Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as instructed and restarted computer easy as pie, of course.

When I was returned to the desktop, the MBAM Icon with which we can open the program was gone, but mbam-setup 1.46.exe is still there with 5.86 MB."

Why will I be downloading a fresh copy of MBAM when the old material is still on my desk top after running the uninstall and the cleaner? Please be kind. This is a legitimate question.

jimbo-joyce

Replying to messages in this forum is the most user-unfriendly project I've ever seen on a forum. When I Get to the bottom of your message and click on "Reply, it always returns me to your previous post, instead of a fresh place to type in my post. I've found my messages do get to the right page if I use the Add Reply at the very top of the page. Is something broken?

If you click on "Fast Reply" you can have problems adding 'extras' to the post but posts will appear in normal rotation with the last post at the top -

We usually ask for ADD REPLY in case we need other items included - Both will work OK as long as you do not use the REPLY tab all the time , as it Quotes the Full item in the panel above that you are responding to -

I hope this explains the answering system a bit better -

Thank You - ;)

Hi - new to the forum. Running Windows XP Service Pack 3. I too have been having the same issue and I have done absolutely everything that has been mentioned on this forum (and on other sites) to rectify this problem. I am running the latest version of VIPRE Antivirus Premium and yes, Mbam is mentioned everywhere that it should be so it is not excluded in anyway (can you tell I'm not very good with technical terms?!).

I note since running the fixme.bat file today, for some reason my Vipre Firewall is showing as disabled even though it is checked as enabled. I may have to do an uninstall and reinstall to fix it, or a system restore, as don't feel comfortable with this.

I can install any version of MB prior to 1.45 (not including 1.45). It will automatically update to 1.46 version 4052 but after that I get the above message. I am also running VIPRE on three other computers running Windows XP Service Pack 3, and it updates perfectly. My laptop is running Vista, and VIPRE and again, no problems updating MB.

VIPRE actually recommends using Malwarebytes as a back up to their own software.

Nothing shows up when doing a scan on either VIPRE or MB (both quick and deep scan using the last version of MB that I have -

I have also run a-Squared Free and it shows nothing, even though a couple of weeks ago it did pick up a trojan but not sure if that was a false reading.

Thank you for any help you can give. I hate not being able to solve problems, and this is driving me nuts.

Hi -

I am running the latest version of VIPRE Antivirus Premium

My latest ideas/information regarding VIPRE are listed below -

For those using VIPRE PREMIUM and having problems with V1.46 updating, here is one fix.

• Open VIPRE
  • Click Web Filter Settings
  • Click Allowed Web Sites
  • Add "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com" (without the quotes)
  • click OK
  • Close VIPRE

Now MBAM V1.46 should update normally.

A picture of VIPRE included to assist you -

Thank You - ;)

I am running the latest version of VIPRE Antivirus Premium

Hello Clare5858: I have VIPRE Antivirus (not the premium) installed on my system and running both with real-time protection enabled for a while without any issue

As far as I know there's a known issue with HIPS driver and Sunbelt is working on it. For a workaround you may search their support forum for How to disable HIPS driver

Thanks everyone. Will give all these a go when I get home. It is very weird, as VIPRE does not cause any of these problems on the other 3 PCs all running XP SP3. MB updates without a hitch. Ultimately I would like to go for the full version of MB, but want to iron out these problems first. Will feedback on whether the above works. THANK YOU!

Hi Everyone.

Well I tried all the above suggestions and Mbam still failed to update, giving the same message.

SO, I uninstalled VIPRE, uninstalled Mbam as well as running the Mbam cleaning tool, restarted my computer, ran Mbam version 1.44. It updated as per usual to 1.46 4052.

VIPRE has still not been reinstalled at this stage.

Once again when I tried to update version 1.46 4052, I received the same error message 122,0 multibyte etc etc.

I have now reinstalled VIPRE, which basically goes to prove that the Mbam error has nothing to do with VIPRE (which I kind of figured given that Mbam runs perfectly well on the other three desktops, all running the same system and VIPRE).

I have a horrible feeling that my system has been hijacked, but what ever it is cannot be detected by VIPRE, a-squared free or even the version of Mbam I do have.

Thanks again for any further suggestions.

@ Clare5858 -

XP is usually the easiest system to install with , (unless you have another Administrator account and are not logged on, or infections) -

If you want you can wait for any other replies , or have the experts look at your system for infections or faults -

These are directions for our experts area (if you wish to go that way) -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :welcome:

@ Clare5858

To add to what noknojon said you will need to purchase MBAM licence for each XP system that you wish to run MBAM full version on.

I just installed Malwarebyte's 1.46 on a PC with "CA Security Center" already installed from Road Runner. I too was getting this error until I simply right-clicked on the CA icon in system tray, chose "CA Personal Firewall" and finally "Disable CA Personal Firewall". I was then able to update from 4052 to 4224. As a test I enabled the personal firewall again and then received the error.

Hope this helps... :welcome:

@ IWillDoWindows you have to enter the exceptions for MBAM into your CA products (both av and firewall) like listed below.....

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Hi IWillDoWindows -

This is my latest on CA Security Exclusions and Settings -

Listed in post # 5 on the previous page -

CA 2010

Open 'My Internet' section.

If so open that up and click 'View Settings'.

Look for 'Identity Protection'

Scroll down to 'Trusted and Untrusted Sites'

Paste in the following:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Tick 'Trusted Site-always allow'

Click 'Add'

Click 'Apply' and reboot

See if that helps

-------------------

In CA ISS 2007 and 2008:

Open the CA Personal Firewall GUI;

Click the 'Privacy' icon;