Can Malwarebytes reset certain IE settings?

I have had a number of machines I have cleaned off with Malwarebytes in the last couple weeks, and they all seem to have one problem after the Malwarebytes scan. Basically, the malware that was on the machine changes the proxy settings in IE (Internet) Settings. If you go to Tools - Internet options - Connections tab - and then click on "Lan Settings..." you will see that all internet traffic is routed through a proxy. I disable the proxy everything is working again.

My question is, could Malwarebytes scan those settings and automatically clear the proxy option? My guess would be that a very low percentage of users would actually use that option so there would be a higher benefit to go ahead and reset it?

Thanks!

• Staff
I have had a number of machines I have cleaned off with Malwarebytes in the last couple weeks, and they all seem to have one problem after the Malwarebytes scan. Basically, the malware that was on the machine changes the proxy settings in IE (Internet) Settings. If you go to Tools - Internet options - Connections tab - and then click on "Lan Settings..." you will see that all internet traffic is routed through a proxy. I disable the proxy everything is working again.

My question is, could Malwarebytes scan those settings and automatically clear the proxy option? My guess would be that a very low percentage of users would actually use that option so there would be a higher benefit to go ahead and reset it?

Thanks!

Hi.

The malware makes these changes and at the current time we do not detect them but we're always working on developing new tools to improve our software.

If you're a licensed reseller or affiliate, you can get support below:

corporate-support@malwarebytes.org.

They can assist you in these matters. Please provide your corporate license information when requesting help.

• Root Admin

Unfortunately we cannot just arbitrarily change the proxy setting as many Corporate Customers do use a proxy and that would end up disabling their Internet access.

You can follow the directions below to reset it yourself. This is probably a feature that will be added to a future build where you can decide yourself if you want to reset the proxy setting or not.

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you've completed backing up your Registry, please perform the following fixes until fixed or all methods have been tried

STEP 02

Disable Internet Explorer Proxy Settings

• Please start Notepad and using your mouse make sure you select and copy all the information below in the Code box into your new document.
  • Then save the file as "fixme.bat" to your Desktop
  • In the drop down box for Save as type: make sure you select All Files (*.*) and keep the quotes on the name as well. Then close the new file.
    @ECHO OFF
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• On Windows XP you can double-click the file to run it.
  • On Vista/Win7 you need to Right click the file and choose Run as administrator to run it. With User Account Control on it should ask permission to run it. Click Yes
  • This will flash a black DOS box very quickly and go away, this is normal.
  • Restart your computer now.
  • Launch Internet Explorer and see if you can connect to the Internet.
  • Launch MBAM and check for Updates

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Thank you for the advice everyone! If this continues to be an issue I'll keep an eye out for a new feature. I can reset it manually for now.

Unfortunately we cannot just arbitrarily change the proxy setting as many Corporate Customers do use a proxy and that would end up disabling their Internet access.

You can follow the directions below to reset it yourself. This is probably a feature that will be added to a future build where you can decide yourself if you want to reset the proxy setting or not.

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you've completed backing up your Registry, please perform the following fixes until fixed or all methods have been tried

STEP 02

Disable Internet Explorer Proxy Settings

• Please start Notepad and using your mouse make sure you select and copy all the information below in the Code box into your new document.
  • Then save the file as "fixme.bat" to your Desktop
  • In the drop down box for Save as type: make sure you select All Files (*.*) and keep the quotes on the name as well. Then close the new file.
    @ECHO OFF
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• On Windows XP you can double-click the file to run it.
  • On Vista/Win7 you need to Right click the file and choose Run as administrator to run it. With User Account Control on it should ask permission to run it. Click Yes
  • This will flash a black DOS box very quickly and go away, this is normal.
  • Restart your computer now.
  • Launch Internet Explorer and see if you can connect to the Internet.
  • Launch MBAM and check for Updates

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.