STOPzilla Poll

Comprev

STOPzilla  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stopzilla is not good. Its has rogueish Techniques. I rate it "crap"

Such as? If you read my post on what it means to be a rogue, STOPzilla might scrape the edges of a rogue. From what most computer users think, SZ is crapware/scamware. I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it :) I would enjoy seeing how far that would go :D

Thanks for sharing your opinion,

Comprev

Okay, okay, I see that. Could one person step up and describe how rogueish it is? I would appreciate it, as I don't want to test it myself :)

Comprev

If it is rated 100.00% as Crap why would you want to test it? :)

Pros

Scans quickly. Did okay in malware-removal testing. Offers Internet Explorer specific pop-up blocking and phishing protection. Free tech support by phone, e-mail, or live chat.

Cons

So-so performance protecting a clean system; allowed several rootkits and Trojan horses to install. Phishing protection is significantly less effective than what's built into IE and Firefox.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2162968,00.asp

Guest Bomb123

It's hard to say what should i think about this program i tested it on my computer it found 27 infections from registry one called catchme trojan those infections were about 24 allthough when i tried to search the registry keys that the program detected i did not found them. Here is a screenshot of the scanresults screen...

stopzilla.jpg

The catch me trojan should be in the registry in the key hklm/system/currentcontrolset/services/catchme and many others but i did not found them. It also detected some things like registry disabled and such. So i dont know what to think about this program. It slowed my computer down a little bit but i only have 512 mb ram so this computer aint very modern.

• 3 weeks later...

this is a rogue program from what i can gather.

look closely at the graphics and it is using a similar icon from spycheck.

there are spelling issues as well.

looks rogueish in my opinion.

Guest name cool

In my opinion .. this deceptive software. As a Spyware program and the protector. In fact I think it's a program (Rogue) . Although I did not try it yet .. These programs are mostly not working well and may be the target. Them to spy on the users of this program or others, and not for the purpose of protection! And my vote is, of course (Rogue) And considered it a bad program

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

More roguish then crapware. It's everywhere similar to PC Tools Registry Mechanic/Spyware Doctor junk. :)

I am not sure if spyware doctor is rogue.

However, it is apparently not excellent, its marketing techniques are questionable, and there are better programs out there for free.

However you know more about this subject, being a malware trainee.

I am not sure if spyware doctor is rogue.

However, it is apparently not excellent, its marketing techniques are questionable, and there are better programs out there for free.

However you know more about this subject, being a malware trainee.

It's not. Mostly meant how it's marketed. On advertisements everywhere, on malicious sites with a fake link name etc. In my opinion they aren't worth recognizing as a security computer using tactics like that. Same goes for Zone Alarm. Possibly yes, but not as much as L00N3R or others. :)

It's not. Mostly meant how it's marketed. On advertisements everywhere, on malicious sites with a fake link name etc. In my opinion they aren't worth recognizing as a security computer using tactics like that. Same goes for Zone Alarm. Possibly yes, but not as much as L00N3R or others. :)

What do you mean with a fake link name?

It can not be classified as "rogue" because...

1. There is no unsolicited intrusion/penetration into the system

2. There is no explicit enforcement/offering to buy a higher/pro version of the same program.

3. Detection of the mentioned program is based on behavior (such as registry changes)

4. Can not find any illegitimate advertisements/offers in program.

They give a link pretending to lead to another web page or a different download than Spyware Doctor, but it downloads Spyware Doctor?

That is correct. A random link name for example "Download SpyNabber Now!"and it ends up downloading Spyware Doctor.

@Jay

I agree. It is garbage though. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you guys got to test it. My dad was bothered by pop ups and a quick search yielded Stopzilla. The awards looked authentic and I didn't have time for research; I was leaving and had to pack.

I installed it, entered the registration # (it was on "sale" at $9.99, I figured for $10 I'd just register it without going through the demo).

Rebooted as they requested, got to the Dell opening screen and then was left with a flashing cursor in the lower left corner of the monitor. Tried this several times, even entering F2 for setup would yield an "Enteringf Setup" message for about 2 seconds and then back to the flashing cursor.

In short, the program hosed dad's computer.

I'll do a reinstall when I get back from my trip, but I would warn anyone to stay away from this piece of garbage.

And next time, I'll do more searching first and if time does not allow, just wait until I have time.