Error message when closing MBAM 1.50

I'm running XP SP3 with the free version of MBAM. The error message I get if I exit MBAM via the 'Exit' button is:

'The instruction at "10x010a3d70" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program'

If I use the red 'X', I don't see this message, The program works normally apart from this. It updates and scans as it always has done with previous versions. Is this caused by a bug in the new version of MBAM? If not, does anyone have any idea what may be causing it? Originally I got v1.50 when I updated v1.46, but since getting this message, I uninstalled MBAM, downloaded a new set-up file from a link here and re-installed the program, but the error message persists.

In a way this is a minor issue because it doesn't seem to affect the running of the program, but I'd like to know why it happens, if possible. Thanks.

Please try the following to see if it helps:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• 1. OS version including 32/64-bit
    2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall
    3. MBAM version (current 1.50) (Free or Pro)
    4. Definition version (current 5235)
    5. Do you use a router to connect to Internet
    6. How much Ram is installed

The answers to your questions are as follows:

1. Windows XP Home SP3, 32-bit

2. Norton Internet Security 2010 and SpywareBlaster version 4.4.

3. MBAM Free, version 1.50

4. Definition version 5235

5. Dial-up modem. Broadband isn't available where I live unfortunately.

6. 1.5GB

In addition to the above, I also have SAS Free 4.46.1000 which is fully up to date, as are all my programs.

Hi Madeline :D

Please do the following:

Create a Crash Dump:

• Click on START and select Run
  • In the Run box type or copy/paste drwtsn32 and press Enter or click on OK
  • In the Dr. Watson for Windows verify the paths shown in Log File Path and Crash Dump which should be the following:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

[*]Next to Crash Dump Type: make certain that Full is selected

[*]Make certain that under Options the following are all checked:

• Dump Symbol Table
    • Dump All Thread Contexts
    • Create Crash Dump File

[*]Click on OK

[*]Now replicate the memory error by opening and then closing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

[*]Once that's done, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft and right-click on the Dr Watson folder and choose Copy

[*]Close the explorer window and right-click on your desktop and select Paste

[*]Right-click on the Dr Watson folder which you should now see on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Upload the Dr Watson.zip file you just created to RapidShare by clicking on the Upload File button on that page and browsing to the Dr Watson.zip file and selecting it

[*]Once the upload completes you'll be given a link for the download, please copy and paste that link into your next reply

Hi exile360,

I've done what you said and the download link I was given by RapidShare is as follows:

http://rapidshare.com/files/434752360/Dr_Watson.zip

Hopefully this will help you to shed some light on the error message. I wasn't able to get the error message just by opening MBAM and then closing it by either the 'Close' button or the 'Exit' button, so I did an update and it appeared then!

Many thanks for your help. :(

Hi, everybody!!! I've the same problem: the program runs well, but at the moment to close, I've the same error, even if a different number:

'The instruction at "0x10003d70" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

I uninstalled the program, cleaned the pc, and reinstalled, but the error remains.

Could it be the same mistake?

Thanks a lot for your attention!!! :(

Greetings Pilosio and welcome :(

It indeed appears to be the same issue.

Please do the following:

Create a Crash Dump:

• Click on START and select Run
  • In the Run box type or copy/paste drwtsn32 and press Enter or click on OK
  • In the Dr. Watson for Windows verify the paths shown in Log File Path and Crash Dump which should be the following:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

[*]Next to Crash Dump Type: make certain that Full is selected

[*]Make certain that under Options the following are all checked:

• Dump Symbol Table
    • Dump All Thread Contexts
    • Create Crash Dump File

[*]Click on OK

[*]Now replicate the memory error by opening and then closing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

[*]Once that's done, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft and right-click on the Dr Watson folder and choose Copy

[*]Close the explorer window and right-click on your desktop and select Paste

[*]Right-click on the Dr Watson folder which you should now see on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Upload the Dr Watson.zip file you just created to RapidShare by clicking on the Upload File button on that page and browsing to the Dr Watson.zip file and selecting it

[*]Once the upload completes you'll be given a link for the download, please copy and paste that link into your next reply

Thanks, exile360!!! ;)

I don't understand very well english, I'm afraid of making a mistake. I'll do all when I find someone who knows english better than me.

I opened Dr.Watson. In Cras Dump type it's checked partial. Can I change to complete without problem?

In options are checked the 2, 3 and 6 options. No problems if I change?

The rest... I'm not sure, I don't want to make mistakes for a little thing. I'm not very expert of pc. :)

I've got some new info from one of the developers.

If any of you are running Scansoft's OmniPage OCR software then you need to try updating it to the latest version. It's apparently the file ophook32.dll, which is a part of that program, that's causing the problem.

Thanks for the info. We do have an old version of Scansoft's Omnipage on this PC - the SE version. I have never, as far as I know, used this program. When I scan things into the PC I use a different program altogether, which works fine for scanning in photos and letters. Apart from that, the scanner isn't used all that much. Omnipage isn't free, so I don't want to pay for an update to it. Do you think it would cause any problems if I just uninstall it? We have the program only because it was bundled with other software for our Canon scanner and the scanner isn't configured to use Omnipage at present.

Thanks for all your help. ;)

• Root Admin

Yes you should be able to uninstall it and the current issue should be resolved. If you have an installation key or ID please make sure you keep a copy or back it up in case you ever do want to re-install it.

If that does not correct the issue then please let us know.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply about Scansoft's Omnipage. I expect everyone who's tried to help will be as pleased as I am to know that the error message has gone!

I uninstalled Omnipage and restarted my PC. I then updated MBAM and used the 'Exit' button to close the program - no error message appeared! In order to confirm that the error message had gone, I ran a scan, used the 'Exit' button and again no error message in evidence. Thank you all very much for helping me to get rid of this small annoyance.

While I'm here, I'd like to thank you for this excellent program; I know from visiting various sites that MBAM is frequently recommended to people and rightly so. I'm very impressed by the increased speed of scanning in version 1.50 too.

Thanks for your good wishes! I wouldn't like to be without Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

I was interested to see on the Canon UK site that the model of scanner I have still comes with Omni-page SE OCR software. So apparently this hasn't changed over the last 7 years!

Incidentally, although I said in Post #5 that all my programs are up to date, maybe I should qualify that by changing it to 'all the programs that I actually use are ....'! :)

Thanks again and my very best wishes to everyone for a happy festive season. :)

• Root Admin

Well make sure you make a system restore point before doing any program updates and take a look at using this program which will check for updates needed on your computer.

Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

The Secunia PSI is aFREE security tool designed to detectvulnerable andout-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Attacks exploiting vulnerable programs and plug-ins are rarely blocked by traditional anti-virus and are therefore increasingly "popular" among criminals.

The only solution to block these kind of attacks is to apply security updates, commonly referred to as patches. Patches are offered free-of-charge by most software vendors, however, finding all these patches is a tedious and time consuming task. Secunia PSI automates this and alerts you when your programs and plug-ins require updating to stay secure.

Download the Secunia PSI now and secure your PC today - free-of-charge.