Using MBAM real-time and Anti-virus real-time protection

I don't use the answers for questions, because it seems that most of the employees are brain dead and think Windows defender is a good program.

Also: I use it when my computer doesn't work, but I would never venture into security part of the forum for the reason above..

I'll say this, I have used (and still do use) Microsoft Security Essentials in realtime with the PRO version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on all of the following operating systems without a single conflict:

• Windows XP Pro SP3
  • Windows Vista Ultimate x86 SP2
  • Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x86
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64

All I had to do was set the appropriate exclusions in MSE to get the two to work together without any performance issues or conflicts:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Add... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I've been using this configuration on all those operating systems for around a year now and have upgraded to the latest versions of MSE (2.x) and MBAM (1.50.1) and both still work together just fine. My systems boot fast and I have no issues when something is detected, the key reason being that, while MSE (like pretty much all antivirus software) scans files on-access, meaning they get checked as they're downloaded to disk. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on the other hand only scans files on execution, meaning they must first enter memory to be detected by MBAM, so if a file is downloaded or attempts to run, MSE checks the file first, so if MSE blocks/removes the file, MBAM never even sees it, therefore the only items MBAM will detect in realtime will be items that went completely undetected by MSE, thus avoiding any lockups/conflicts due to simultaneous detection (the most common cause of conflicts between security software).

Thank exile, that was really helpful :huh:

May i ask though, is windows firewall sufficient to use with MBAM + MSE combo to ensure good security? If not, may i ask what firewall software do you use?

Yes , generally speaking Windows Firewall is good firewall and enough to provide you with good protection as well as your antivirus+MBAM .There is nothing wrong in Windows Firewall - it is just simpler than the others and provides basic protection from what is really needed.

Of course there are cases where other firewall may be more appropriate but generally speking Windows Firewall is enough and good.

I'll say this, I have used (and still do use) Microsoft Security Essentials in realtime with the PRO version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on all of the following operating systems without a single conflict:

• Windows XP Pro SP3
  • Windows Vista Ultimate x86 SP2
  • Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x86
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64

All I had to do was set the appropriate exclusions in MSE to get the two to work together without any performance issues or conflicts:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

5. Click on the + next to Program Files
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I've been using this configuration on all those operating systems for around a year now and have upgraded to the latest versions of MSE (2.x) and MBAM (1.50.1) and both still work together just fine. My systems boot fast and I have no issues when something is detected, the key reason being that, while MSE (like pretty much all antivirus software) scans files on-access, meaning they get checked as they're downloaded to disk. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on the other hand only scans files on execution, meaning they must first enter memory to be detected by MBAM, so if a file is downloaded or attempts to run, MSE checks the file first, so if MSE blocks/removes the file, MBAM never even sees it, therefore the only items MBAM will detect in realtime will be items that went completely undetected by MSE, thus avoiding any lockups/conflicts due to simultaneous detection (the most common cause of conflicts between security software).

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have taken the liberty to quote your post in paraphrase on the topic in question. It is my sincere hopes this will clarify the issue for many users who are confused and mislead about the functions of anti-virus and malware scanners. It is apparent that such misconceptions ultimately decrease the sales of MBAM Pro. I wish there were some way for me to change the topic label for this post so that a simple Google search would lead others here for clarification. I believe the appropriate topic would be "Can I have anti-virus and a malware scanner at the same time if both have real-time protection or something along those lines.

If there is anything you or anyone else would like to contribute to the topic I will be happy to share that as well. Thanks again for all the answers.

Regards,

Joel

Guest garybear

Hello!!

I use Avira AV- Online armor Firewall- Malwarebytes in real time.

No conflicts. MSE is good, but I like to know whats going out and coming in to my PC. That's why I use a 3rd party firewall.

Online Armor is really user friendly. Nothing gets in or out without my permission. Windows firewall works in the back ground and is OK I think. I tested my PC with GRC(Gibson Research Center) with Windows firewall;it failed the tests. Online Armor passed all tests. No open ports, no pings. Can't really talk computer talk very well. I'm self taught

GRC said I had no leaks and gave me a excellent rating on all their free tests. I keep a back up image of my OS and I feel very secure. PS You can Google GRC and run the free tests. See if you can pass!!

• 2 months later...

First, thanks to all for detailed and reasoned advice. Before I babble about my specific experience, would forum members please confirm my understanding: MBAM can detect and remove malware, such as Trojans, that MSE fails to detect. In other words, don't abandon MBAM. {I am running paid version of MBAM.]

My details: twice in last few months MSE complains that its realtime protection is turned off (please see screenshots), and attempts to turn it on fail. I have had to resort to Exiting MBAM protection, killing mbamservice.exe, uninstalling MSE then reinstalling. Now that I have found this helpful thread, it appears:

(1) excluding the 3 MBAM exes from MSE will avoid this problem.

(2) there is no need for a mirror image exclusion of MSE executables from MBAM.

(3) running MBAM and MSE together (without the exclusions) could explain sporadic freezes of the Windows desktop.

Many thanks for your advice.

O/S: XP Home SP3

post-31034-0-45262800-1301583231.png

post-31034-0-87667800-1301583245.png