Malwarebytes crashed and XP wont boot

Please Help...

I was running Malware bytes (protected mode) as a maintenance check.

MW downloaded and installed new version and I rebooted

MW finnished install

I started thourough scan

XP rebooted 30 seconds into scan (no files processed that I could tell)

getting boot error "windows\system32\config\system" missing or corrupt, press r from set-up etc.

XP Pro, SP3 & updated, AVG running and current

What now?

Thanks,

Ted

Much obliged, LDTate. ;)

@ TedThayer:

It's not clear if the problem you describe relates to a possible infection or to hardware/software issue (perhaps a conflict between AVG and MBAM).

1) Are you saying that you cannot boot the computer at all?

2) Have you tried booting into Safe Mode (tap the F8 key after turning on the power button on the tower)?

3) Is there any chance that your system might be infected? (The advice we will provide will be different for a possible malware-related problem, versus one just due to software compatibility issues.)

Thanks,

daledoc1

Good questions, I wish I really knew.

I have not experienced an issue with AVG and MBAM for 12+ months of use

1) I cannot boot at all

2) The selection for Safe Mode comes up but the boot error comes up within 5 seconds

3) I was running MBAM because I thought it strange that I had 70+ processes running. I have about 50 right after a boot. So there was no real indication of a virus.

I am surly not blaming MBAM for the crash. Who knows if it is simply coincidental or not that I crashed at the beggining of a scan.

Hi, Ted:

Sorry for not replying earlier, but I had to go to work...

Usually AVG and MBAM work fine together, so long as the necessary permissions are set up.

The fact that the computer will not boot into Windows suggests to me that you may have been infected, and that the malware may have infected important system files.

It is also possible that there is something else wrong with your system, such as a failing hard drive.

Do you have either your Windows XP installation disks or a recovery disk from which you can try to boot?

If not, then you will certainly need more expert assistance than I can provide. :(

I'm not sure if we should continue here, or whether it would be best to have you start a new thread at the malware removal forum first.

(As the problem may have been the result of an infection, the authorized experts would provide free, one-on-one assistance there, including working to restore your computer to working order...)

If LDTate or one of the other mods is still monitoring this thread, let's see what they suggest.

In the interim, I would check to see if you have your original Windows CDs that came with the computer, or a recovery disk you may have created.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

Thanks for the response,

I do have the Windows XP install disk

I do not have a recovery CD,

Regards, Ted

Good questions, I wish I really knew.

I have not experienced an issue with AVG and MBAM for 12+ months of use

1) I cannot boot at all

2) The selection for Safe Mode comes up but the boot error comes up within 5 seconds

3) I was running MBAM because I thought it strange that I had 70+ processes running. I have about 50 right after a boot. So there was no real indication of a virus.

I am surly not blaming MBAM for the crash. Who knows if it is simply coincidental or not that I crashed at the beggining of a scan.

Hi, Ted:

Until an expert stops by with more assistance, you might want to try to boot the computer from your Windows CD, and then run a chkdsk.

There is an excellent tutorial explaining how to do this here.

Best regards,

daledoc1

PS: Please use the a8JTu.jpg button, instead of other ones, when you reply, so that it will be easier to read without all the duplicate, quoted posts. :)

Hi, Ted:

Well, this is now pretty much "above my pay grade".

If LDTate or another expert or mod is still monitoring this thread, I'll need to defer to them as to how to proceed.

My hunch is that they will suggest burning and using a Linux recovery disk, which will at least permit the computer to boot, so that you can recover your data from it.

It doesn't sound very promising in terms of being able to otherwise get this computer restored to working order without some drastic measures.

One other thought: since this particular sub-forum doesn't get as much traffic from the experts, and since this might have all been the result of an infection causing corruption of the Windows files, you might wish to start a new thread here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=7.

One of the authorized experts can assist you from there.

I would definitely provide them with a link to this thread, so that they will know where you started....

Hope this helps a bit, but sorry I can't offer more substantial advice,

Daledoc1