Submitting first two scan logs

I think we might be running into problems with rebooting randomizing file names , from this point forward I need for you to not reboot unless I ask you to .

I need a locations folder (please use the one attached here , not the one you already downloaded) . I also need a fresh DDS scan log . Please zip and attach both to your next post .

As far as the problem here I will explain the way this infection protects itself .

There are load points that point to files that at the time of the scan do not exist . The malware in memory prevents them from being deleted . When you reboot pending file rename takes backups of the malware , renames them to the empty load points , windows loads them and then the malware self deletes and sets up new pending file rename backup files for the next boot cycle .

The key here is being able to catch at least one of the hidden backup files before it gets renamed .

find.zip

find.zip

I think we might be running into problems with rebooting randomizing file names , from this point forward I need for you to not reboot unless I ask you to .

I need a locations folder (please use the one attached here , not the one you already downloaded) . I also need a fresh DDS scan log . Please zip and attach both to your next post .

As far as the problem here I will explain the way this infection protects itself .

There are load points that point to files that at the time of the scan do not exist . The malware in memory prevents them from being deleted . When you reboot pending file rename takes backups of the malware , renames them to the empty load points , windows loads them and then the malware self deletes and sets up new pending file rename backup files for the next boot cycle .

The key here is being able to catch at least one of the hidden backup files before it gets renamed .

-----------------

Attached are the items you requested -- locations folder (there are three files in here; hope that's OK ... I didn't think the scan was running so I repeated it) and a new DDS log. Do you need DDS Attach?

I won't reboot or run any other programs until you tell me to do so.

loactions2.zip

DDS_12.31.08.txt

loactions2.zip

DDS_12.31.08.txt

New capture attempt , this one should capture at least one file .

Make sure not to reboot still . What I am going to attempt to do is get new defs based on what I find , have you update MBAM and then scan .

I will let you know when the updates are up .

-----------

So, am I running JUST Capture now?

The update is ready , please make sure you have definitions version 1584 before you scan .

The update tab on MBAM will show you what version you have , make sure it says 1584 (or higher , I update often) .

If it is not use the update tab to select malwarebytes.org as the server and attempt to update again .

After a scan and remove cycle please post a new MBAM log and tell us how things are working .

The update is ready , please make sure you have definitions version 1584 before you scan .

The update tab on MBAM will show you what version you have , make sure it says 1584 (or higher , I update often) .

If it is not use the update tab to select malwarebytes.org as the server and attempt to update again .

After a scan and remove cycle please post a new MBAM log and tell us how things are working .

Full scan or quick scan?

MBAM almost never needs to be run in full scan , we designed it that way . Quick will catch 100% of malware that can enter memory 100% of the time .

-------------

Here's the new MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31

Database version: 1585

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

12/31/2008 1:57:00 PM

mbam-log-2008-12-31 (13-57-00).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|J:\|)

Objects scanned: 142703

Time elapsed: 41 minute(s), 56 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 25

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\malware\masahola.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\malware\sirifiwi.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\5H780K6F.exe (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\F73J8t3v.exe (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\l4JfDvps.exe (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\RUGVf86C.exe (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\uWNy0Sr0.exe (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP912\A0196419.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP915\A0206601.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP917\A0215756.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\defupabo.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\masahola.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\pibahoju.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\pufuyada.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ruvekifo.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\salayose.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\sirifiwi.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tayanage.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\yumuneye.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lawireyo.dll.tmp (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles\12292008_091845\windows\system32\jisagade.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles\12292008_091845\windows\system32\lanimaye.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles\12302008_210447\WINDOWS\system32\bekehutu.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles\12302008_210447\WINDOWS\system32\jolefayu.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hawupula.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Please reboot and post a new Hijackthis log . I also need to know if the popups return .

I hope that this infection did not have time to mutate during the 41 minute full scan , vundo is known to take advantage of typical long scan times .

If after reboot you are still having problems please do a quick scan and reboot .

Please reboot and post a new Hijackthis log . I also need to know if the popups return .

I hope that this infection did not have time to mutate during the 41 minute full scan , vundo is known to take advantage of typical long scan times .

If after reboot you are still having problems please do a quick scan and reboot .

------

Sorry about the full scan. I was leaving the office and started that before I received your reply.

I rebooted the system and ran Hijackthis. Here is the new log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 4:13:12 PM, on 12/31/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ARPWRMSG.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Program Files\Sonic\DigitalMedia Plus\DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe

C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FAMTADA.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FARNADA.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msfeedssync.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.att.net/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = \blank.htm

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://r.office.microsoft.com/r/rlido11custreg?clid=1033

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.5\coIEPlg.dll

O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\IDS\IPSBHO.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.5\CoIEPlg.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlwaysReady Power Message APP] ARPWRMSG.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD08] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\{33D6CC28-9F75-4d1b-A11D-98895B3A3729}\hphupd08.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMAScheduler] c:\Program Files\Sonic\DigitalMedia Plus\DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIADA.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX4800"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [userFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [zerovaseki] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mupitera.dll",s (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.exe (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.exe (User 'Default user')

O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Pin.lnk = C:\hp\bin\CLOAKER.EXE (User 'Default user')

O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra button: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {2D8ED06D-3C30-438B-96AE-4D110FDC1FB8} (ActiveScan 2.0 Installer Class) - http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/cabs/as2stubie.cab

O16 - DPF: {6A344D34-5231-452A-8A57-D064AC9B7862} (Symantec Download Manager) - https://webdl.symantec.com/activex/symdlmgr.cab

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: ,C:\WINDOWS\system32\pufuyada.dll,C:\WINDOWS\

O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe

O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_ADM~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.jpg

--

End of file - 10776 bytes

------

Sorry about the full scan. I was leaving the office and started that before I received your reply.

I rebooted the system and ran Hijackthis. Here is the new log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 4:13:12 PM, on 12/31/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ARPWRMSG.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Program Files\Sonic\DigitalMedia Plus\DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe

C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FAMTADA.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FARNADA.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msfeedssync.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.att.net/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = \blank.htm

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://r.office.microsoft.com/r/rlido11custreg?clid=1033

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.5\coIEPlg.dll

O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\IDS\IPSBHO.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.5\CoIEPlg.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlwaysReady Power Message APP] ARPWRMSG.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD08] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\{33D6CC28-9F75-4d1b-A11D-98895B3A3729}\hphupd08.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMAScheduler] c:\Program Files\Sonic\DigitalMedia Plus\DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIADA.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX4800"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [userFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [zerovaseki] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mupitera.dll",s (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.exe (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.exe (User 'Default user')

O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Pin.lnk = C:\hp\bin\CLOAKER.EXE (User 'Default user')

O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra button: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {2D8ED06D-3C30-438B-96AE-4D110FDC1FB8} (ActiveScan 2.0 Installer Class) - http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/cabs/as2stubie.cab

O16 - DPF: {6A344D34-5231-452A-8A57-D064AC9B7862} (Symantec Download Manager) - https://webdl.symantec.com/activex/symdlmgr.cab

O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe

O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_ADM~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.jpg

--

End of file - 10776 bytes

-----------

Forgot to mention (and I'm almost afraid to type the words) ... no pop-ups yet.

Run Hijackthis again (scan only this time) and put checks in the following boxes :

Use the fix checked button to remove these (they are only dead traces at this point) .

Unless you see any additional problems your system is clean .

Another expert will likely come back with additional instructions on how to better secure your system (I can confirm that this infection does enter through open security flaws) .

Run Hijackthis again (scan only this time) and put checks in the following boxes :

Use the fix checked button to remove these (they are only dead traces at this point) .

Unless you see any additional problems your system is clean .

Another expert will likely come back with additional instructions on how to better secure your system (I can confirm that this infection does enter through open security flaws) .

---------------

Done!

You and sjpritch25 are absolute heroes to me. Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, I would love to know how to better secure our system. I am an editor and I use the Internet constantly for my fact-checking research. I need to know how to protect our computer when I'm visiting so many different sites.

Glad to see that its clean.

Since surfing the internet is a big part of your job, i recommend using Firefox with NoScript. NoScript blocks scripting on websties and i only allow it on trusted sites.

Next delete dds.scr from your Desktop. Open OTMoveIt3.exe and click on Cleanup. Reboot your computer if needed.

Now that your system is clean you should SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent future reinfection from the old restore point AFTER cleaning your system of any malware infection. Any trojans or spyware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore and are waiting to re-infect you. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete files, trapping viruses inside. Setting a new restore point should be done to prevent any future reinfection from the old restore point and enable your computer to "roll-back" in case there is a future problem.

To SET A NEW RESTORE POINT:

1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".

2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.

3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr

4. Click "OK".

5. Click the "More Options" Tab.

6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Graphics for doing this are in the following links if you need them.

How to Create a Restore Point.

======================================

Here is some useful information on keeping your computer clean:

1. Most important thing is to make sure Windows is kept up to date with the latest patches and updates from .
  2. Here are two great Preventive programs

:

1. protects you from malicious ActiveX controls and cookies. Make sure and check for updates twice a month.
  2. Surf Safe with McAfee's . SiteAdisor will work with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. SiteAdisor is a browser plugin that assigns a safety rating to domains listed in your search engine. SiteAdvisor uses the following color codes to indicate the safety level of each site.
  1. Red for Warning
  2. Yellow for Use Caution
  3. Green for Safe
  4. Grey for Unknown

Here are the link to install SiteAdisor in and

1. For Even More Information On Securing Your Computer read Tony Klein's

Glad to see that its clean.

Since surfing the internet is a big part of your job, i recommend using Firefox with NoScript. NoScript blocks scripting on websties and i only allow it on trusted sites.

Next delete dds.scr from your Desktop. Open OTMoveIt3.exe and click on Cleanup. Reboot your computer if needed.

Now that your system is clean you should SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent future reinfection from the old restore point AFTER cleaning your system of any malware infection. Any trojans or spyware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore and are waiting to re-infect you. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete files, trapping viruses inside. Setting a new restore point should be done to prevent any future reinfection from the old restore point and enable your computer to "roll-back" in case there is a future problem.

To SET A NEW RESTORE POINT:

1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".

2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.

3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr

4. Click "OK".

5. Click the "More Options" Tab.

6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Graphics for doing this are in the following links if you need them.

How to Create a Restore Point.

======================================

Here is some useful information on keeping your computer clean:

1. Most important thing is to make sure Windows is kept up to date with the latest patches and updates from .

2. Here are two great Preventive programs

:

1. protects you from malicious ActiveX controls and cookies. Make sure and check for updates twice a month.

2. Surf Safe with McAfee's . SiteAdisor will work with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. SiteAdisor is a browser plugin that assigns a safety rating to domains listed in your search engine. SiteAdvisor uses the following color codes to indicate the safety level of each site.

1. Red for Warning

2. Yellow for Use Caution

3. Green for Safe

4. Grey for Unknown

Here are the link to install SiteAdisor in and

1. For Even More Information On Securing Your Computer read Tony Klein's

Many thanks! I have done everything you advised. Now I just have to retrain myself to use these new tools.

If future issues come up -- hopefully not a massive infection like this time, but just best-practice questions -- can I post them to this forum? (For example, how often do I need to run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware? SpywareBlaster? etc.)

You guys are the best! Thanks again.