A portable version

chu300

I see little difference between installing it or using a portable version in such scenarios because users would then certainly have to extract it if it's contained in a zip file (something not all users know how to do, though it isn't too difficult), or it would be a self-extracting compressed file, which is really all an installer is anyway.

I could see such a tool being useful for repair techs, but not so much for forum use etc., of course that's just my opinion.

Guest name cool

If there is a portable version now does this mean that the installer will be dispensable? And that the portable version is used from now? I wonder if the portable version works like the regular version or not??

If this version is available it will be up to date? Right? Or we will have updated it the usual way?

One thing to consider is Mbam uses driver technology. In a portable environment, this probably will not work properly for complete removal. Plus what would happen with quaritine and logs getting mixed from multiple systems.

Could you not set it to delete instead of quarantine? Plus I know several repair shops that download tools like ComboFix and then delete if after they use it. What makes you think they wouldn't just download a new version of Malwarebytes every time they use it?

• Root Admin

Well a repair shop should not be downloading and using our product like that as it's against the EULA

Free use is only for consumer, home users not any type of business. All types of business use require proper licensing.

We put a lot of time, effort, and money into providing what we believe is an excellent tool to assist in detection and removal of malware. We provide unlimited free use for consumer, home users.

No, that is not ours. That is a pirated/cracked copy of our program altered to run portably without our authorization and using a pirated key. We would never host any of our products on sites like MegaUpload or RapidShare.

edit: An additional note on such creations, this is an excerpt from the End User License Agreement for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, with certain key points in the EULA highlighted that apply to such creations:

Malwarebytes End-User License

THIS END-USER LICENSE (“LICENSE”) IS DESIGNED FOR USERS OF THE MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE FREE AND FULL VERSIONS. IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED SPECIALTY VERSION OF THE MALWAREBYTES SOFTWARE, SEE BELOW FOR SPECIAL LICENSE TERMS THAT MAY APPLY TO YOUR PRODUCT.

By installing or running this software, you are agreeing to the terms of this License. If you do not agree to abide by the terms of this Agreement, you may not install or run the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Software (the “Software”) and must delete any copies of that Software in your possession. If you agree to the terms of this license without modification, then you may install and run the enclosed Software under this License subject to the following restrictions:

One Computer Per License

1. This License applies to one instance of the Software, which may only be installed on one computer at a time.

2. Once installed onto a computer, the Software may be operated by any person using the computer, whether directly or via remote connection.

3. Users who wish to transfer their license to a different computer must first completely uninstall the Software from the first computer, then reinstall the software on the new computer and re-register the Software on the new computer with Malwarebytes.

4. You may not run the Software on a network, but must install it on only on the quantity of individual computers you are licensed for and run it locally on those computers. However, you may install the Software onto individual computers via upload or ‘push through’ via a network.

Copyrights and Permitted Use of the Software

5. You agree that the Software is the property of Malwarebytes and that all code within the Software is the valid copyright of Malwarebytes. You also agree that the Malwarebytes Malware Database (the “Database”) is the exclusive, valid copyright of Malwarebytes.

6. You may not use a single instance of the Software across a network; rather, you may install it on only one computer at a time per license and run it locally on that computer.

7. You may not, nor may you permit any other person to sublicense, rent or lease any portion of the Software.

8. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, modify, or create derivative works of the Software, nor may you make any attempt to discover the source code of the Software except where permitted by law.

9. You may not use the Software as part of a service provider or service bureau.

10. You may not use the Software as part of any computer repair, help desk or troubleshooting service, unless you have each customer purchase an individual Full License for each of their respective computers which you repair or otherwise service.

11. You may not use the Software for any commercial purpose. The License is for use on the personal or business computers of its owner only.

12. You may not combine this Software with a script, application, hardware or tool which would cause it to run on an automated or unattended basis.

Edited by exile360
Added additional info

• 2 months later...

I don't really see the need for a portable version of MBAM, there are already plenty of portable tools on the market. It would be simpler to download a "fresh, up to date" version, if necessary using another computer, then boot into safe mode (w/networking) to update. Then run a full scan. Twice if necessary.

Having MBAM as a portable version would only serve to cut into their profits, and I feel that it's only fair that they should be paid, should the company decides to market a portable version. In other words, market it as a technician's tool, & charge for it. Because if not, very few users would pay for MBAM any longer, and why not, when one can carry it on a flash drive in their pocket?

I've been using MBAM for at least 4 years, and there's no tool like it. I like it so much that when Newegg offered it for $14.99, I had to take it. Indecision caused me to miss out on the previous promo, when I decided a couple of hours later to buy it, it was sold out. I didn't make the same mistake the second time, I grabbed it for my notebook.

MBAM works well with all AV/IS packages that I've used, whether it was the free or paid versions. The really good thing that I love about MBAM is that the program blocks access to known malware sites. Even with careful computing, one can run across a malware laden site, waiting to steal everything that one has.

MBAM + SAS + ESET Smart Security = a clean computer!

Cat

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed... I would pay for a portable version. But only if it is a bootable usb version.. I.E. a Tech toolkit.. some malware out there blocks all net access so booting into safe mode does no good. No way to update if the program cannot phone home. Being in IT Professional this would be very helpful in our jobs...