StartUpLite deleted items

Jamin4u

I used StartUpLite to disable all of the unnecessary startup entries the program found.

If I look in MSCONFIG under Startup, the items are not there. It appears they have been deleted instead of disabled.

Why did StartUpLite delete all of the entries instead of disabling them?

That's because it doesn't use the same method as MSCONFIG to disable startups. It uses the deletion of startup keys in the registry.

If thats the case, then how am I to use MSCONFIG to Re-enable the items I disabled? (as stated in the program)

t2635_Capture.JPG

MSConfig is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:

When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.

Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.

Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.

Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user) and does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list.

You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to a running service. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. With the Services Management Console (services.msc) you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

from QM7

Ah, for that, all you must do is run MSCONFIG and select the option for Normal Startup, it should put everything back the way it was before you ran StartupLite.

Msconfig is in Normal startup and all of the items that I disabled using StartUpLite are gone.

I have used Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel in XP which removes an item from Msconfig startup, but it can be re-enabled by checking the box within Startup Control Panel.

I have also used CCleaners startup tool in Vista which disables items but leaves them in Msconfig startup with a cleared box. I can re-enable it within CCleaner.

I don't see any way to re-enable an item within StartUpLite.

Am I missing something or do I need to use system restore or Erunt?

Nice read DaChew.

Thanks

t2647_1.JPG

If I click on Re-enable disabled items it just opens Msconfig.

It would be helpful if someone who has used the program, or a developer would add some support.

I think StartUpLite is great for listing unnecessary items, but I think I will use another program to disable them.

Thanks

I like Sysinternal's Autoruns as well. It works like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel.

When disabling an item, it's removed from Msconfig > Startup so the system runs in normal startup.

Then you can Re-enable it by checking the box from within the program.

I read that Marcin intends to rewrite the code for StartUpLite. I look forward to it's completion.

However, I'm still bewildered by the fact that I can't Re-enable items as indicated in the program.

Thank you for your time and effort exile360.

Malwarebytes Rocks!!!

You're very welcome.

Regarding Autoruns, it's kind of neat how it works, it backs up the reg keys to a to a different location in the registry called "Autoruns Disabled" so even if the program was run portably and isn't on the machine anymore, you can see what's been modified by looking there. It's powerful too, as it also works on services, drivers and bho's. It's one of my all-time favorite tools.

• 1 year later...

hi.on a personal note,the only reason i would even look at the start-up is if the computer is running extremely slow.otherwise i dont go in there.in the wrong hands it could stop your machine from booting.and for that reason its not an action i would recommend.if it isnt hampering your general use of the computer then i see no sense in tinkering with sensitive windows functions. :(

hi.on a personal note,the only reason i would even look at the start-up is if the computer is running extremely slow.otherwise i dont go in there.in the wrong hands it could stop your machine from booting.and for that reason its not an action i would recommend.if it isnt hampering your general use of the computer then i see no sense in tinkering with sensitive windows functions. :(

I'm not referring to tinkering with sensitive Windows functions, I'm referring to disabling third party software (ie, NOT a part of Windows itself), and it should only be handled by someone who knows what they're doing and knows what they're disabling before they do so.

If you aren't comfortable with that then by all means, don't do so, but for others, they choose to do so to get as close to the performance of a clean Windows installation as possible without having to reformat or actually remove all that third party software.

• 2 weeks later...

I should have read this thread before using StartUpLite as I found out the hard way it removes start up entries rather than just disabling them. They can't be reenabled through the program. As has been discussed, a program like CCleaner and others merely disables the entries. They can always be enabled again if needed. Based on my own experience (and admitted naivety) I would advise against using StartUpLite.