Mbam update on XP now wont start on 2 machines

Hello banger,

One would want some better description than just "crash". Do any of the systems have other "real time" monitor apps?

Give the following a try (do not repeat again if it fails but give plenty of detail, including what programs are in auto-start with Windows startup)

Please folow this sequence for MBAM removal & re-install:

1) Go to Control Panel and Add-or-Remove programs.

uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Exit Control Panel

2) Logoff and restart your computer

Get, save, and then run the utility at the following link

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

3)Logoff and restart your computer again.

4)Now, reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

You may download a fresh copy for the reinstall from the following link:

http://malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

If you have MBAM PRO (have a license) you will need to reenter your ID and Key afterwards to get the Protection module enabled.

I believe I have the same problem.

XP Professional Service Pack 3 Build 2600. I'm using a free version.

When I try to update to 1.6 I receive a runtime error when trying to open the program I have tried various different ways to install & depending on the method I used (see below) I may also get an error saying that a particular file is read only (Sorry,I do not now remember what the file was)

I have tried to allow the default update definitions & open after update- Result nothing happens.

I have tried no update of definition file but did tick open after instal - Same result..nothing happens. Just sits there & nothing opens

I have tried do not update definition file & do not open after instal... .Now when I double click on the MBAM icon I receive the runtime error.

I fully installed MBAM, did a registry clean & short cut clean with System Mechanic, rebooted then re-installed the OLD version 1.5. Next I cancelled when asked if i wanted to install the new version 1.6 & after that no problem. I can open MBAM & I can scan

After this, I did a backup using System Restore. I think rebooted my machine & then allowed MBAM to install the new version that had already been downloaded. Once again MBAM did not work. Exactly as previously listed. Next I rolled my machined back using the System Restore file I just created (so supposedly I was now back to ver 1.5) However the runtime error is still there.

Only thing to fix it is to fully uninstall MBAM again & install the OLD version 1.6

I have done this 3 times & each time exactly the same problem

• Root Admin

Please list the exact error message.

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Same problem on the one XP computer I updated (paid version).

Yes I rebooted more than one and each time I get mbam has encountered a problem and needs to close.

szAppName mbamservice.exe szAppVer. 1.60.0.25

szModName mbamcare.dll szModVer 1.60.0.52 offset: 00060ae0 (I think I wrote all the strings correctly.

For the next reboot and crash, I will double check my notes.

• Root Admin

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

XPSP3 free version of MBAM and had the same problem. I uninstalled, rebooted, ran

MBAB-clean.exe, rebooted again and did a clean install and it works fine now.

Edit to add that I do not have ZoneAlarm or another third party firewall installed so in MY case there was no conflict with that.

I am on windows 7 64bit and never had issues with mbam but after the update today, I cannot run it I keep getting this crash:

Faulting application name: mbam.exe, version: 1.60.0.59, time stamp: 0x4ef23d40

Faulting module name: mbamcore.DLL, version: 1.60.0.52, time stamp: 0x4eea37f7

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00060ae0

Faulting process id: 0x728

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccc5a628681f28

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamcore.DLL

Report Id: 6715bea5-3199-11e1-b441-002618944030

I will try the mbam cleaner described in this thread but there is no reason for me to have to go through hoops to get new version working... I never had to before. Anyone know if this is related to new build version?

Ok again me, final update I did run mbam cleaner and rebooted, installed latest version and now it runs fine. I just wanted to add I was windows 7 and not win xp like the thread original poster, so this issue did occur across OS. May need to fix up the mbam uninstaller/installation to clean up files properly. Thanks for your time.

• Root Admin

Sorry it took so long. It was after midnight my time and I knew that I'd need a clear head to follow the DDS instructions.

I have the required two files and am attaching them.

I also downloaded the cleanup tool and a fresh copy of Malwarebytes for my other computers. I won't to prevent the problems.

@plodr only...

Please send an email to support@malwarebytes.org and ask for Ron to look at your system for this error.

We may need to do some other scanning for Malware on this system and we don't do that in this forum.

Thanks

Running Outpost Free, MSE, Windows XPSP3. Newest version of Malwarebytes closes on reboot as soon as everything is loaded on reboot. (...'has encountered a problem and has to close', that message).

Other XP SP3 machine with MSE and Windows Firewall updated just fine. Malwarebytes has actually been misbehaving on this machine for many months now and I've given up trying to fix it after numerous attempts (cleaning out Malwarebytes and reinstalling). Updating Malwarebytes often freezes the computer completely, forcing a hard boot. I put up with it because Malwarebytes has saved this particular machine from some very serious problems on a few occasions already.

I'll try the clean and reinstall option on computer #1.

Both computers are using Malwarebytes Pro.

This thread should maybe be merged with the other one...?

Anyway, I ran the mbam cleaner and it did its thing, but it was a very messy uninstall, with numerous error runtime error messages being coughed up by malwarebytes on its way out. I realized that I should have had Outpost set to learn mode during all of this. Somewhere in a reboot, Outposts drivers crashed as well. The laptop also blue screened, which it rarely does. I mean, I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times this laptop has ever blue screened, and I've had it 3 1/2 years now, she's VERY stable.

I left Outpost in "Rules Wizard", where it 'learns'. After a couple of reboots, I reinstalled the newest version of Malwarebytes and re-registered, and everything seems to be fine. I rebooted again for good measure and all appears well. I've set Outpost back to "Block Most" mode, where it usually is.

I suspect Malwarebytes and Outpost were not playing nicely together.

@AdvancedSetup There is no malware on that computer.

I have uninstalled the troublesome version (1.6), rebooted, used the MBAM cleanup, rebooted and installed 1.6 cleanly. It is working properly and updating incrementally on that computer.

I only supplied the attachments in the hopes that your team could discover what is making most XP computers crash when upgrading from v1.5 to 1.6.

I did an upgrade on a 64 bit Win 7 system running MBAM Pro and had no problems.

I did an upgrade on a Win 2K system running MBAM pro and had no problems.

On two other XP computers, both running the free version, I uninstalled, rebooted, ran the cleanup tool, rebooted and cleanly installed v 1.6.

All 5 computers are running free or Pro MBAM v 1.6 with no problem.

• Root Admin

@AdvancedSetup There is no malware on that computer.

I have uninstalled the troublesome version (1.6), rebooted, used the MBAM cleanup, rebooted and installed 1.6 cleanly. It is working properly and updating incrementally on that computer.

I only supplied the attachments in the hopes that your team could discover what is making most XP computers crash when upgrading from v1.5 to 1.6.

I did an upgrade on a 64 bit Win 7 system running MBAM Pro and had no problems.

I did an upgrade on a Win 2K system running MBAM pro and had no problems.

On two other XP computers, both running the free version, I uninstalled, rebooted, ran the cleanup tool, rebooted and cleanly installed v 1.6.

All 5 computers are running free or Pro MBAM v 1.6 with no problem.

Well there is a hidden service running that is not identified so if it were my own computer I would be at least somewhat concerned what it was is all I'm saying, but if you're satisfied that's what matters as it's your machine.

Thank you for your reply.