64 Bit version?

I wander what the issue is with 64 bit with windows. Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome have yet to release a stable 64 bit release for windows but they have for linux.

Point is, we live in a 64 bit world now. You go into a store these days and every computer they have to sell is 64 bit so why the hell are all the software developers still stuck on developing 32bit programs.

• Root Admin

Well much of it has to do with the fact that for Windows all software that requires a driver must use a signed driver. That costs money to obtain and many software applications are written by independent developers and I'm sure the cost vs need is not there for them. If your code is not taking advantage of any of the features of x64 then coding it x64 might not make sense either.

Please review the following link which may provide you with more insight.

As I said when or if we'll make a GUI purely x64 is unknown at this time, but the driver is a signed x64-bit driver. Thank you again

• 4 years later...

4 years on, I'm using 64bit Chrome beta version, still just 32bit firefox, guess the advantage for browsers aint great. I was told the big advantage for 64bit Chrome was security, but don't know it thats due to any 64bit attribute, Im not a techie. I DO know that 64 bit is huge advantage for my limited MatLab and Python play. I'm on Windows 8.1 (yeah shoot me!), if I do get more techo, I wouldn't mind getting away from Windows, OS or Linux  all together. One Python MOOC reckons you can do all your Python learning on a Raspberry Pi 

OH, got premium Malwarebytes, I had the same thought when I saw 32bit in the task manager, so thanks for the info.

It works perfectly for me, keep up the great work.

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2012 at 8:46 AM, phpjunkie said:

I wander what the issue is with 64 bit with windows. Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome have yet to release a stable 64 bit release for windows but they have for linux.

Point is, we live in a 64 bit world now. You go into a store these days and every computer they have to sell is 64 bit so why the hell are all the software developers still stuck on developing 32bit programs.

Yes You can get a 64 bit of both FireFox and chrome for windows all it takes is looking and not just clicking the big "Download" button, I can direct you to the spots you need to go to get legitimate from Google and Mozilla 64 Bit versions.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, I was just looking for the same answer as phpjunkie.