Malwarebytes freezes after 20secs

Hi,On my friends laptop,mbam freezes at aprox 20 secs when it gets to this file c:/boot/bcd.log.

I've tried uninstalling and then running mbam clean tool then reinstalling but same thing happens.

Also when mbam freezes it says "not responding" then the laptop crashes and it has to be turned

off at the power button.

His os is Windows Vista home premium 64bit.Thanks in advance for any help.Neil.

Thanks for your reply.He's got Avast free and no exclusions set up.

Not sure if the laptop is infected,but he told me IE9 and FF wont connect

to the internet but google chrome does.

So i was thinking maybe a virus and told him to do a full mbam scan,but

as i said earlier mbam crashes and then crashes the laptop,he did say he's

been getting vista is non genuine popup,but it is.

Have also tried running mbam in safe mode but still crashes.

• Root Admin

Well if he's having such issues and non genuine coming up I'm guessing the system is infected.

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum

so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems or infections you may have.
  • Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Follow this topic and choose Instantly,
    so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE: Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk
here

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our
Malwarebytes Premium Consumer Services
partner, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.

While AdvancedSetup returns, you can try and enter exceptions in your Avast AV as stated in our FAQ located => HERE

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks for the info.I don't have the laptop with me yet ,but i will try out what you said.

Also i was wondering what if i added the file that causes the crash c:/boot/bcd.log to the

ignore list in mbam would that stop it crashing?

No do not add c:/boot/bcd.log to the ignor list. As stated by AdvancedSetup above in post number 5, its best to have the experts help you get that computer cleaned up. Follow his instruction and if you want to be on the safe side also add the exceptions to your AV for malwarebytes as per our FAQ.

Thanks