Vista Installing Update 3/3 0% restart loop

tree_fu_go

This is a place for computer help?? Forgive me if I'm wrong...

My other computer has got the installing updates 3/3 0% then the computer restarts and does the same thing, I cant do anything because it doesnt let me login to windows, so no safe mode or anything is working. I've had it for ages....

So I've tried doing the first answer here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/latest-vista-update-stuck-in-stage-3restart-loop/2f70b13c-9db4-4bf9-90ee-7ca63a809973

But I think I need a windows installation disk to get to System Recovery options, which I didnt get one. So what do I do now?

If you don't need a windows installation disk to get to System Recovery options then how do I get to this?

Thanks for your time.

So mashing the F8 button on startup doesn't bring up any options? If you can get into the menu there should be some good options like last know good configuration. Otherwise you will need to get your hands on a disk. Vista disk would be preferred, but you should be able to work with a Windows 7 disk as well.

Pressing F8 does come up options, but none of them work and I've tried all of them. Safe Mode loads the basic files or whatever then windows starts up, then Installing update 3/3 0% comes up, after a while the computer restarts and does it again. This happends with all of the options. I tried last known good configuration but that didn't work.

Can I burn a windows disk? Can I buy one? Can I borrow one? Will it still work??

You can use just about any disk as long as it's the same as your os. You wouldn't be able to use a 64bit disk on a 32bit windows install.

On the F8 options, its there an option for "Repair your computer"? If there is, that will be the best way to go since you should be able to get into a command prompt from there.

Yep, no option "Repair your computer".

I just need someone to confirm if I do need a windows installation disk to get to the System Recovorey Options that the top answer (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/latest-vista-update-stuck-in-stage-3restart-loop/2f70b13c-9db4-4bf9-90ee-7ca63a809973) says. "Use the System Recovery options to rename the Pending.xml file and edit the registry"

I wanted to try that, because some people on there said it worked for them but I just want to know if I need the Windows Installation Disk.

If I do need the Windows Installation Disk, how do I get one?

@rgabbard: When you say "You can use just about any disk as long as it's the same as your os", what kind of disk do you mean?

I have a Windows 95 disk, not sure if that would help.

@ tree_fu_go

Please STOP and slow down.

Are you the original or participating poster in the Microsoft Answers forum thread? if so, what handle?

If you rae just an observer, my instinct is to advise you to STOP & not do any registry changes !!

btw, If your system is Vista, then a Windows 95 disk is of NO help. Do not even think about using that.

Press Windows-key+R key

type in

cmd.exe

and press [Enter-key] to get a command-prompt window

type in

net stop wuauserv

press <Enter-key>

EXIT <Enter-key>

N.B. That will temporarily stop the windows update automatic service. On your next Windows restart, it will be on again.

Go to Windows Explorer.

Look on your system drive (usually C ) and look at the Windows folder name. Like Windows or WINNT.

Modify following as appropriate.

If your Windows folder is C:\Windows.

Look at this folder

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download <<<--- this folder

Delete all the contents of the Download folder.

Next,

Download this zip file from here http://sdrv.ms/Kp1lc3 so we can get a report.

Save the zip file to a unique folder.

Extract the contents. Then double-click the vbs file to start it.

You will get a Notepad report named UpdateHistory.txt located in your %temp% (temporary file folder).

The topmost entries (at the top of the file) are the most recent update items.

Copy the topmost 2 pages and then paste into your reply here.

I appreciate your help but the installing windows update 3/3 0% screen doesn't let me get into the windows login so I pretty much can't do anything.

All of the F8 options don't work, they all still have the windows update 3/3 0% screen and there are no restore points for system restore.

And in case there was any confusion, this topic is about a differant computer, not the one I'm using.

But maybe I need to look somewhere else for help. Theres nothing wrong with this forum or its community, its just that maybe I should just pay the money and take the computer to a computer professional.

I've tried googling for the answer to this problem and well, that was the only thing I found. I was going to try it anyway, already knowing that changing the registry probably isn't a good idea if you don't know what your doing, but f I can't use the computer at all then what more harm could it do?

I'm not the user who posted that question on the microsoft site but it is the exact problem I have.

Thanks anyway. :)

Where to start here, since you have multiple questions?

First, do not use a System Restore as a 1st "item" or even a 2nd thing to do. System Restore is a item of last resort.

Have you powered OFF the system ? and waited about 30 seconds or so, and then Power Up and then press / tap & re-tap F8 to get to Advanced Boot Options ...... that is IF you are unable to run in Normal mode.

Kindly try to explain the situation in some detail so that it is clear.

Also, try to explain or point out which computer is which.

You have posted multiple posts here, all at the same or near-same time.

A failed Windows update can be cured! I assume that that is what the issue is here with this Vista system.

The other 2 topics I started (2 csrss.exe Running In Task Manager - Is That Normal? & Not Sure If I'm Infected But...)had to do with this laptop computer I am using. (We'll call it computer #1)

This topic is about a differant computer that is right next to me. (Computer #2)

Computer #2 is the one with the vista installing updates 3/3 0% restart loop problem.

Sorry for not explaing very well or for any confusion. :blush:

When I turn ON the computer, after windows starts, a message comes up saying: Installing updates 3/3 0% Do not turn off your computer. The same message that comes up after you restart the computer after a Windows Vista update. But when this message comes up for me, the 0% never changes and the HDD light doesn't indicate HDD activity. (I think)

After a couple of minutes of that message, the computer restarts.

The exact message comes up and it does the same thing over and over even after leaving it on for hours it never completes the update.

Now, this is all this computer does.

This is all it can do because this message doesn't let me login to windows so can't get into windows. In normal mode, in safe mode, in all of the modes that are available in the F8 Advanced Boot Options.

So this is a bad windows update.

If I am still unclear or you need more information then please let me know.

I appreciate you trying to help me.

Computer # 2 -- Vista system --- loop problem ---unable to login

You may be just not quick enough in tapping F8 Function key

You need to start tapping right away as soon as the system is powered up.

Give it one more time and reallt try to get to Safe mode and have infinite patience, since getting there can take several minutes (meaning for Vista to fully load in safe mode).

See this article How to start Windows in Safe Mode

IF you really truly cannot get into Safe mode:

Do you have an offline system backup ?

Do you have the Windows Vista operating system DVD ?

If none of the above work, give this a try:

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

• Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
    • System Restore
    • Windows Complete PC Restore
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    • Command Prompt i_arrow-l.gif

[*]Select Command Prompt

[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.

[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.

[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.

[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter

Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.

[*]The tool will start to run.

[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.

[*]Press Scan button.

[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

btw, if you -can- manage to get to a Command prompt --- then much later, we can flush the windows update queue and you then will not have the update loop.

Yes, I have been in the Advanced Boot Options, I am pressing F8 fast enough,

and I have waited for safe mode to load and it still comes up with Installing updates 3/3 0%.

I'm not sure if I have offline sytem backup, how do I know/check?

I don't think I have the Windows Vista operating system DVD.

I will have to buy a flash drive so I cannot do the Farbar Recovery scan tool just yet. I had one but I used it to give something to a friend.

Okay so right now, I guess I have to wait.

Windows Backup is something you would have to start yourself. So apparently, you have no prior backup.

Let me suggest you get yourself a new USB-flash. Do not share USB-flash sticks unless you 1st scan them with Antivirus program before using.

Sharing flash sticks is 1 way for systems to get infected --- in cases where not all parties practice safe computing practices.

• 2 weeks later...