warning - sendspace.com sending fake files

i was browsing a thread on the minecraft forums, and i saw a dude had a mod i wanted to download.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1113099-147-ruins-structure-spawning-system/page__st__580

the guy's named jsmith, and link is in his signature.

before downloading i looked at the posts after him and noone said anything about a virus, some people said nice buildings too, so i downloaded.

here comes the problem: i clicked on the link, and instead of downloading Ruins Pack Jsmith.zip the site gave me Ruins Pack Jsmith.zip.exe (ONLY for the first time, the second time i downloaded it was the actual LEGIT zip file with the mod inside)

basically what sendspace did was sending me a fake .exe file with the same name:

i was a bit asleep at the time so i didnt notice immediately, the exe file ran itself and after a few seconds of nothing happening i quickly realised it was a virus, i scanned it and then deleted it permanently (hopefully its deleted)

tl:dr- sendspace.com sends virus files instead of the actual files

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed hyperlink

• Root Admin

Hello dogno and Welcome to Malwarebytes

To be on the safe side you may want to follow the advice from this topic Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Experts double check that your system is safe.

If you think you're okay that fine too but if you do run into issue in the future and need assistance you can always follow that advice and someone will help you.

Thanks