Malwarebytes stops after 7 hours, 59 minutes +seconds

I have malwarebytes (free version) scheduled to run one night a week.

It's still working in the morning and it keeps chugging along until it gets to 7 hours, 59 minutes and some seconds.

It always stops at this point. There are lots of other files it has not scanned. And it stops at different files each time since I've changed the hard drive during the week.

This behavior is a mystery to me.

Does any one have an answer?

By the way I can run a complete scan with Microsoft Security Essentials as well as other security software, but not Malwarebytes.

Thanks for your help.

Hello and :welcome:

Normally all that is needed is a quick scan, which scans the most common areas where Malware likes to hide. Is there any reason you are doing a weekly Full Scan?

It is possible you may have some file corruption on your drive that could be causing this as well, have you tried performing a disk check?

Please try the following. It should take at least 10 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the speed of your computer.

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Thanks for your reply.

I've run chkdsk recently and everything in the filesystem was ok, but I ran it again yesterday exactly as you suggested and it did not find any problems.

I am currently running a full malwarebytes scan again to see when it stops. Yesterday when I ran it, it stopped after 7 hours and 11 minutes rather than the 7 59 which I had been getting.

You are right I do not really have to run a full scan, but running this scan once a week at night doesn't cost me anything and when it used to complete I would also update the definitions. But even if I do not have to do it, I would still like to be able to have Malwarbytes complete a full scan. And it is a mystery to me why it doesn't complete. My C drive has about 238 gigabyte of files to work through.

Thanks again for your help.

Lets get some logs to see if we can see whats going on....

Please post an mbam-check log:

Create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next reply

Next, Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  1. DDS.txt
  2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

• Root Admin

The only thing odd that I see in those logs are that you're running an encrypted drive which we do not support encrypted drives (your mileage may vary on working or not)

The Event Logs was blank which is typically caused by a couple of different things.

Antivirus can stop the Event Logs from showing up

Broken associations for VBS

Broken WMI

Assuming that your computer is not infected and that you have backups and as far as you can tell there are no other real issues aside from MBAM not being able to complete a full scan please do the following.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Then after the reboot go ahead and follow the advice from here on removing and reinstalling MBAM

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=122284

Then update MBAM and try the scan again and let us know how it goes please.

Thanks

Thank you all for your help. You have been the best support I have ever encountered.

Much to my surprise malwarebytes completed a full scan on my c: drive. 21 hours 22 minutes. (see attached file)

Maybe the chkdsk run did the trick, though I ran chkdsk about two weeks ago and malwarebytes still didn't finish.

You reported that my C: drive was encrypted. It is not. I do use lastpass and that does encrypt some files, but not the whole drive. I ran belarc advisor to see what it reported and also a script to look for efs encryped files and folders and both found no encryption. I don't believe in encryption. I believe it is just one more point of failure, so I never enable it if I can avoid it.

Thanks again for your help. I am now running the trial version of malwarebytes and I expect I'll upgrade to the pro version when the trial is complete.

post-127785-0-49183300-1360431001.png