GetDefaultBrowserError:2

I just got a notification in my taskbar saying an update to Java is available.

I thought "Okay, better update it then", so I went on the START Menu, went to Control Panel and opended Java and updated it. I made sure to UNCHECK to install Ask! Toolbar and stuff.

But when it was done, this strange message popped up:

What does this mean? Is Java trying to change my default browser?? I did a quick Google search of this error message and nothing came up about Java making this error.

Thanks for any help! Image is attached!

post-124477-0-36185700-1366209773.jpg

Hi tree_fu_go:

I received the same error message yesterday while updating to 32-bit Java JRE 7 Update 21 (Windows 30.2 MB offline installer downloaded from http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp) on my Vista 32-bit system. I wiped Java off my system using the free Revo Uninstaller v. 1.94 and tried a clean re-install with the installer downloaded from the FileHippo mirror site at http://www.filehippo...ownload_jre_32/ and got the error message again.

In my case, I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser and I suspect that the Java installer is having problems detecting whether I'm using Firefox or IE as my default browser.

I verified that my Java installation is working correctly in my Firefox browser using their online Java tester at http://www.java.com/...d/installed.jsp and also confirmed that Firefox is my default browser (found at Start | Default Programs | Set Your Default Programs for the Vista OS), so I'm hoping that this is just a glitch in the installer. I'll post back if I find any more info on the exact meaning of the error message "GetDefaultBrowserError: 2".

post-16430-0-95007200-1366292504.jpg

------------

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 20.0.1 * IE 9.0 * Java JRE 7U21 * NIS 2013 v. 20.3.1.22 * MBAM PRO v. 1.75.0.1300

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Got an advice from an app (Pogo) that my Java needed updating. I clicked on their pop up and said "yes". After the update I then got security warnings which said some of the Java was unsigned. So I went to Java.com and re-updated. Got the same warnings. Went into Control Panel and uninstalled Java, then went to Java.com and did a new download. Now I get a "GetDefaultBrowserError: 2". My browser is the standard Windows issue Internet Explorer 8. Not too difficult to find and one of the first it should look for. I can live with this, but it's a pain. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I always get this GetDefaultBrowser pop-up when I update Java. At the same time, annoyingly, the Java entry disappears from my Control Panel and the Java test page says no Java installed.

After doing a lot of Googling I've found how to solve the problem. For me at least.

Simple really. Go to the Java update page and update the same update again! I sometimes get a pop-up saying a file is corrupt and ignore it and carry on.

It says I already have the update and do I want to update it again. Say yes.

I say yes, and then, lo and behold, Java is back in control panel and Java tests ok on the test page.

It's a right pain I know. Every time I get an update notification I think oh no here we go again.

Hope this works for you.

To counter that...

I have never received that message updating both 32 and 64 bit versions on countless computers.

So the question is, what do you have in common mrbarty with the others who get this message that causes that message to be displayed ?

EDIT:

I should state that I always download the offline installer and manually update.

Obtained from; Oracle JRE Updates

Is anyone using Win XP SP3 or Vista SP2 as their OS? There is a new thread on this topic in the WhatTheTech forum here and I noticed that original poster has Vista SP2 on their system.

Please see my comments in that thread regarding real-time antivirus protection software like McAffee and Norton as well. This is pure speculation, but I'm wondering if the Java 7 Update 21 installer is having problems accessing my 32-bit Windows Vista registry to determine the default browser, either because the installer is optimized for Win7/8 or because my NIS 2013 AV is blocking read access to certain entries in the registry.

------------

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 20.0.1 * IE 9.0 * Java JRE 7U21 * NIS 2013 v. 20.3.1.22 * MBAM PRO v. 1.75.0.1300

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

I updated Java on my Windows 7 64-bit computer and it did the same thing except with a differant error:

BrowserLauchError: 1058

(On my original post, I updated on my Windows Vista 32-bit)

EDIT: I don't know if this is related but after a couple of minutes it comes up this: "Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?"

The funny thing is, Im not on any web browsers or wasn't just recently on one..... Somethings fishy..:/

When I click "View Certificate" it shows me this:

This certificate is intended for the following purpose(s):

Ensures the identity of a remote computer

*Refer to the certification authority's statement for details.

Issued to: sjremetrics.java.com

Issued by: VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA- G3

Valid from 22/ 10/ 2012 to 23/ 10/ 2013

Is this really java?

Hi tree_fu_go:

Regarding the sjremetrics.java.com security certificate revocation, I found an old 2010 post on Oracle's Java JRE forum here about a similar issue with Java 6 Update 21. The last post in that thread mentions possible issues with system clocks and/or proxy servers.

Thanks for letting us know that the GetDefaultBrowserError: 2 occurred on your 32-bit Vista system. It's too early to tell but that's three users, including myself, who saw this error on a Vista OS.

------------

Just to be clear..

I updated Java on my Window Vista 32-bit SP2 computer (With FireFox as default browser) and got this error:

I updated Java on my Windows 7 64-bit SP1 computer (With FireFox as default browser) and got this error:

BrowserLauchError: 1058

Has anyone tried on a Window 7 computer?

For anyone following this thread who has encountered either the GetDefaultBrowserError (Vista) or BrowserLaunchError (Win 7) error messages while installing Java 7 Update 21:

Does anyone with this problem use IE9 as their default browser? To date, the only common factor I've noticed in this thread is that users with this problem have mentioned that are using Firefox or IE8 as their default browser.

------------

• 2 weeks later...

I get 2 errors after installing jre-7u21-windows-i586.exe

IE:8 (Default) and Firefox on XP SP3

Error Wrapper-CreateFile failed with Error 5 Access is denied

It doesn't surprise me, I have had problems with Java in the past, last year before the update to the previous version i had installed I was getting BSOD every time Java tried to update, for about 9 months I was getting BSOD, every time java asked permission through the firewall and I allowed it I would get an instant BSOD, I spent hours trying to fix it uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail, I wasn't sure if I fixed it or if it finally updated without BSOD but I had had enough and now loath Java, it may as well be a virus for all I care it's done more damage than any virus/malware this machine has seen in it's 10 years since install.

• 1 month later...

I just ran into this very problem. I'm running XP SP3. Got a notification that a Java update was needed. I allowed it to update. I UNchecked for the added crap they wanted to install (McAfee) and when it finished the install it said it 'updated successfully'. I clicked OK and got the "GetDefaultBrowserError:2" message. No codes on the error message, not even a title - just a plain white message box with that message. I am running the latest FF version and it is set as my default as well. I have had plenty of run-ins with Java in the past and can say it is my least favorite updates to do. 

I went to verify if the version was correct and working and it tells me this:

Verified Java Version
completion_checkmark.png
Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 25).

So looks like I am okay, but I will still keep an eye on this post.

Hi SickAndTired:

I also got the same error message on my 32-bit Vista laptop with Java 7U25.  I wiped the old Java 7U21 installation off my system, installed the 7U25 Windows offline installer from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and the error message popped up immediately after the installation wizard informed me that Java had installed successfully.

Like you, I use Firefox 21.0 as my default browser and the Java installation tester at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp shows that Java 7U25 is working correctly with Firefox.  However, the Java 7U25 installation test fails with my IE9 browser.

I had the same GetDefaultBrowserError: 2 error with both Java 7U21 (see my previous posts in this thread) and 7U25.  The only difference is that the Java installation test for Java 7U21 passed with both Firefox and IE9, whereas Java 7U25 only works correctly with Firefox.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 21.0 * IE 9.0 * Java JRE 7U25 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40

I to am getting thegetbdefaultbrowsererror2 thing or whatever it is called. I was starting to figure that it was my computer being loopy again since yesterday it thought my sims game was a virius and caused me to have to reinstall that. Not to mention nine months ago I had to factory restore my computer because my registry screwed up on me. Nothing like having your computer restart after an update and a bunch of stuff popping up saying things like Java has stopped working, Adobe reader has stopped working, flashplayer has stopped working. Basically anything that had to do with my registry had stopped working.

Anyways, back to this. I am kinda happy it is not my computer but sad that it is happening to so many of us.

• 2 weeks later...

I got this, too.

My SPECULATION is that the general Java update behavior (bringing up the verify Java screen after the install) is being blocked by some program. Either one that's proactively firewalling the program or one that's set up the computer so that it won't give up that info willy-nilly.

I'm guessing either Glary Utilities, Advanced Systemcare, one of my other "boosting" programs might have changed up the security settings.

On my mom's computer after a Java update, a browser windows pops up with the verify page. On mine, it doesn't, only coming up with an error.

tl;dr:

I don't think there's anything to be worried about. It's just post-install behavior being interupted, not the install itself.