[SOLVED] autostart?

fdelaroche

I installed MB Anti-Exploit on Windows Xp, it worked all right and I could reach the interface from the system tray

When I restarted my computer, the incon in the system tray didn't show up, I launched Anti-exploit from the icon on the desk, It seemed to work, but the system tray icon didn't show up , I couldn't access the interface and had to go and read the logs through windows explorer: not difficult, but rather time consuming!No chance to use the interface though.

I have uninstalled MB anti-exploit now and before I re-install it, because I think it is a good idea to run this kind of protection , I'd like to know if this is likely to happen again, if MB anti-exploit is supposed to auto start when Windows Xp starts or if I can get it to behave in this way if necessary

TIA

Frederic 

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

Sometimes a fail load occurs in MBAE and as a result, it fails to show in taskbar. Usually a simple restart solves this issue. It is unknown, at this time, if the same results were to occur in the future.

• Staff

I've seen this occur without a restart and without explorer.exe crashing. I've also seen it with previous betas of ExploitShield.

You mean as in it is there in the traybar and then suddenly disappears? The restart and explorer.exe crash are just two examples. There are other situations where it might happen, such as switching user sessions.

You mean as in it is there in the traybar and then suddenly disappears? The restart and explorer.exe crash are just two examples. There are other situations where it might happen, such as switching user sessions.

Yes, I mean it suddenly disappears. No user switching, no explorer.exe crashing, no logging off then logging back on etc. It just happens sometimes during normal use and I'm not sure why. It's very intermittent.

• Staff

That's weird.... we will have to try to replicate it.

Just to verify, I know this is a basic question, but can you check this is not part of Win7's automatic traybar icon hiding feature? Click on the doble-up arrows on the traybar and see if it shows up on the balloon with the rest of hidden icons.

That's weird.... we will have to try to replicate it.

Just to verify, I know this is a basic question, but can you check this is not part of Win7's automatic traybar icon hiding feature? Click on the doble-up arrows on the traybar and see if it shows up on the balloon with the rest of hidden icons.

I always check that (no offense taken at all, but I'm a former level 2 QA so I tend to eliminate every variable I can during testing/reporting of issues and have a pretty good knowledge level of Windows etc.).

Pardon the interruption but, FWIW,  frequently, on my Windows 7 64-bit, some of my notification-area icons simply disappear or stop working even though their Processes are still running properly.  As you know, those icons' behavior is controlled from here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

NotificationAreaCleaner is a cool little utility that cleans all that up for me and has even been used when there really is a crashed program that I cannot Task-Manager closed.  In the process of clearing the notification area, it closes-and-restarts explorer.exe, thereby often saving me a reboot or hard shutdown.  You can find it here: 

Edited by exile360
removed link

• Root Admin

@JMJsquared

If you crash a program then regardless of restarting an application you really should restart the computer.  The act of a program crashing can potentially cause memory errors and allow phantom threads of operation that have been orphaned.   Any tools like you suggest are simply band aids and a reboot is typically what you should do to help prevent further ongoing issues or instability.   If a program continues to crash then you should attempt to track down the cause and apply a solution to correct it properly such as possibly a software update form the author.

Thanks for the good, general advice; however, I disagree with it in those specific cases where the ability to end the offending process results in the system again becoming responsive.  Specifically, in my case, small utilities like CoreTemp, Listary and FastoneCapture may lose their notification-tray icons and, in the case of Listary, freeze the system.  Ending and restarting explorer.exe via NotificationAreCleaner releases that/those process(es) in an orderly manner and avoids my having to reboot.  I have never noticed any untoward effects.

I made this particular suggestion for this particular issue where Anti-Exploit is implicated in disappearing icons.

• 2 months later...

I have also the same problem (Win XP Home).  today I installed MBAE, everything went very smooth,

after one or two reboots it was also OK, and now after the next reboot there is no MBAE icon

in tray and MBAE does not respond when I click on the icon on desktop;

or, to be more precise, after each mouse click something happens for a very short time

(e.g. the icon in tray appears for a 'millisecond' and vanishes).  the process 'mbae.exe'

is present in task manager and I received the (in)famous message regarding HitmanPro.alert,

so MBAE works somewhere in the background

• Staff

Thanks for posting Wojtek. This is a known issue. Basically the traybar icon fails to load correctly even though the process mbae.exe and the protection are still running. As a workaround until we fix this try killing mbae.exe from the TaskManager (you will have to run TaskManager as admin) and then running MBAE again from the Start menu.

• 5 months later...