Are booth the Freemake video converter & Miro player safe? And is Freemake opensource or freeware?

Baldape

I've been a Format Factory user for over a year now but the latest version has some major bugs and I'm trying to find a replacement now I know about AnyVideoConverter and I see the latest version has fixed/improved a lot of the issues it had about a two years ago, so then came across Freemake and it looks really promising and I would like to try Freemake video converter but I read some reviews on Cnet that claims it installs adware against your consent, so I looked into this a little further and sure enough some of the reviews on Web Of Trust mentioned this as well then I decided to upload the Freemake installer to Virustotal and here's what it had to say:  https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c7dc5235f6003980efd74a955e8e3f9904ad7c13c0cb0faa55661f15c281a015/analysis/1381534586/

Also I would like try the Miro player but I've heard that it has some security issues namely when viewing/streaming web videos, because apparently there's no script blocking options available plus it suppose be a little bit of a resource hog.

So if anyone here has any experience or knowledge with these apps please let me know.

Freeware is now often bundled with crapware.  One just has to be extra cautious in installing "freeware" that non-intended crap doesn't get installed.  Detections such as "InstallCore" and "OpenCandy" are clues to this being the case and they are are the wrapper software for the non-intended crapware.

Freeware is now often bundled with crapware.  One just has to be extra cautious in installing "freeware" that non-intended crap doesn't get installed.  Detections such as "InstallCore" and "OpenCandy" are clues to this being the case and they are are the wrapper software for the non-intended crapware.

Yeah I hear that :lol: peole make the same claim about FormatFactory I mean as long as your in rushing during the installation then you have little to worry about. ;)  But at least there's some free tools for removing adware like AWD Cleaner SAS or even 'MBAM' :)

And speaking of Sourceforge does anyone know of any good alternatives to it? 

But back to Miro for a minute is it true that it doesn't filter any webpage scripts such as malicious adds,XSS or Clickjacking?

yep ... VLC is good .

as far as opensource and free (as in free lunch) software goes ... it is best to approach any of these in a case-by-case manner .

that aside , i tried miro a couple of years back ... it was ok .

for it being a "resource hog" i suppose that is a somewhat relative term/statement ...

if you have an older machine that uses a 1.6 GHz P4 hotplate cpu , no video card and 1 gig of ddr 333 , then yes , it would be a resource hog .

on a side note ...

do not forget the possibilities of linux software in this .

i get the feeling that as the windows based software and sources become more and more "corrupted" and/or of questionable nature that the 'nix stuff is going to become more attractive .

contrary to popular belief ... not all 'nix software is "free" ... there is a charge for some of it (fairly cheap) and other "developers" ask for a donation to help their cat in friskies .

yep ... VLC is good .

as far as opensource and free (as in free lunch) software goes ... it is best to approach any of these in a case-by-case manner .

that aside , i tried miro a couple of years back ... it was ok .

for it being a "resource hog" i suppose that is a somewhat relative term/statement ...

if you have an older machine that uses a 1.6 GHz P4 hotplate cpu , no video card and 1 gig of ddr 333 , then yes , it would be a resource hog .

on a side note ...

do not forget the possibilities of linux software in this .

i get the feeling that as the windows based software and sources become more and more "corrupted" and/or of questionable nature that the 'nix stuff is going to become more attractive .

contrary to popular belief ... not all 'nix software is "free" ... there is a charge for some of it (fairly cheap) and other "developers" ask for a donation to help their cat in friskies .

Don't know anything about Miro as I use VLC for most of my stuff.  It is Open Source so that's typically a good thing.

Yeah I agree VLC FTW :D But I guess if someone wants to filter/block adscripts and trackers they could use Spotflux Premium http://www.spotflux.com/index.php#premium  I've been using the free Android version for a while now and it works very well just no adblocking or other filters, and then there's 'Disocnnect' for Kids and while it's not available for desktop yet much like Spoflux it offers a high speed VPN with some script blocking features which could help prevent malware from infesting your system.  ;)  Here's a link to Disconnect https://disconnect.me/   Oh and if you want almost a %100 guarantee then use a good sandbox program when viewing web content in media players like Sandboxie nothings getting through that. :lol:   Right on CWB OpenSouce is fantastic, and its primarily community powered much like this forum not to mention "typically" full of friendly people as well.