Realy slow to load internet browser

Hello, I used your forums help with a virus several months ago and the person helping me was great. It is clean and running great now with the exception of when I open an internet browser. I have both IE 7 and Firefox 3.0.8 and no matter which I try and open, it takes FOREVER to load (about 60 to 90 seconds). Once loaded, it runs just like my PC at work. I'm using DSL to access the I-net. I have bothe Adaware and Spybot and both say I'm clean. Malwarebytes and McAffee also say I'm clean.

Thanks for any insight on where to start figuring this out.

Jaymee

-= Here are some of what I think might be causing it:

(1) McAfee can be considered as a heavy antivirus, so it may pose a factor for slowing it up..

(2) You might have many realtime antivirus & antispywares which load up their web shield whenever a browser is opened..

(3) Try clearing up your history..

(4) Try disabling some add-ons, plug-ins or toolbar and see which slows the browser down..

(5) If you have a 256 RAM or less, try adding more or increasing your Virtual Memory..

(6) Browsers really take a long time to start at first time of being used after reboot..

-= Here are some of what I think might be causing it:

(1) McAfee can be considered as a heavy antivirus, so it may pose a factor for slowing it up..

(2) You might have many realtime antivirus & antispywares which load up their web shield whenever a browser is opened..

(3) Try clearing up your history..

(4) Try disabling some add-ons, plug-ins or toolbar and see which slows the browser down..

(5) If you have a 256 RAM or less, try adding more or increasing your Virtual Memory..

(6) Browsers really take a long time to start at first time of being used after reboot..

1. I do have McAfee but disabling it had no effect.

2. I uninstalled Adaware and Spybot and it seems to be loading A Lot faster (about 10 seconds to the previous 30-40 sec)

3. I have deleted all the history and cookies and whatever else the "delete all" button in the IE properties window does.

4. I have no add-ons. I realize these will slow down a browser so I never install them.

5. I have 768 MB Ram on a 2.39 GHz processor speed PC.

6. This was happening everytime I open a browser, not just right after reboot.

So, if AdAware and Spybot were causing these issues, what is a good spyware/ad ware removal software? Will the MalwareBytes software take these off?

Thanks for your help,

Jaymee

• Root Admin

Computer and browser slowness are not always malware related

Poor performance and other problems can be the result of disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

Listed below are a few things you can do to improve speed and system performance. Many of the these suggestions will apply if you're using Windows Vista but may be done a bit differently. Near the bottom of this thread there is a section specifically devoted to Vista Users.

For browser problems, see:

If your having connectivity issues or errors such as Page cannot be displayed see

If you're using Vista or Internet Explorer 7, see

If you have a lot of toolbars and add-ons attached to Internet Explorer, you could try improving performance by disabling those which are unecessary. See:

• 2 weeks later...