Mbam Premium - Norton Compatibility (Disabling the RT Scanner)

Hey all,

I haven't used Mbam in ages because when I installed Norton over a year ago, it forced me to remove the program from my PC due to compatibility issues; what a sad day that was for me.

I had Mbam pro/premium (if they're the same thing), and after some reading around today, it would appear that Norton only has issues with the pro/premium version due to the real-time scanner module, and that the free version is fine to use.

Having re-downloaded Mbam free earlier today, when I installed it, I noticed I had the premium version with the real-time scanner; I presume this is because I still had some leftover files from uninstalling Mbam all that time ago. Having said this, I purchased Mbam pro over a year ago, so I'm not sure why I still have a licence. Is it because it is valid for 3 PCs?

Anyway, back to the question: If I disable the real-time scanner and disable Mbam on startup, will that mean that Norton won't take issue with me having the premium version?

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

- Matt

I have BOTH MBAM and Norton Internet Security (NIS) running on my XP computer with absolutely no conflicts or problems for several years. But the caveat is that you MUST add EXCLUSIONS for both programs in their respective exclusions list for the other program. Once you add the proper list, then BOTH programs will work perfectly together. Perhaps an administrator can send you a list of both exclusion and instructions. Hope this information will help you.

Hi:

EDIT: If you did a clean install of MBAM 2.0 and have the real-time, premium (previously called PRO) features, then 1 of the 2 scenarios is likely:

1. Either you did not use the mbam-clean removal tool when you uninstalled MBAM last year (license info left behind); OR
  2. You got the default, 14-day trial of MBAM 2.0 Premium (this is enabled by default during installation on a system that did not previously use the trial).

You should be able to tell, by looking at the banner at the top of the GUI -- it will tell you if you have "Premium" or "Trial".

You ought to be able to run both MBAM Premium and Norton in real-time.

It's not always necessary to set exclusions in both programs, as was the norm years ago with earlier versions of MBAM and the AVs.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=148020#entry826360
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=146800#entry819574

EDIT: Here are the MBAM Exclusions for Norton:

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software - follow the steps for your version of Windows:

For 32-bit Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it, as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Please post back and let us know if you run into issues -- we should be able to sort them out.

daledoc1

Just to add to the excellent advice given above by daledoc1, please note that some antivirus vendors will force you to remove Malwarebytes. They only do so out of convenience and to avoid software conflicts, its a deceitful if you ask me.

Anyway once you install the antivirus program, it is safe to install Malwarebytes back on afterwards. On some computer it may be necessary to add exceptions as daledoc1 mentioned above...

Excellent point, Firefox.

Yes, it is often "best practices" to temporarily uninstall MBAM (and other security apps) during an AV install or version upgrade.

Then, when it is all updated, activated and configured, reinstall MBAM, and then, if desired, set the mutual exclusions.

It's probably not strictly necessary most of the time, but it can minimize the chance of minor conflicts or other performance problems.

(Sometimes slowdowns are not due to conflicts between MBAM and the AV, per se, but rather to older hardware, insufficient RAM, cluttered disks, excessively tight security settings, etc.)

Thanks for mentioning that! ;)

daledoc1

Hi:

If you had a valid, paid, lifetime, 1-PC consumer license for version 1.x, that same license will be honored for version 2.

You would use the same license ID/key to activate v2.0 Premium that you used for version 1.x.

It will still be "lifetime", with no expiration.

The important thing is to be sure that the 1 license is used on only one computer at a time.

If you recently purchased a new license for MBAM 2.x, consumer, then this license can be used on up to 3 computers at a time.

However, it will need to be renewed 1 year after it is used to activate 2.0 Premium on the first computer.

AFAIK, there is currently no way to tell in the MBAM GUI what the expiration date is.

You would need to know when the license was purchased and (more specifically) when it was activated on the first computer.

And I think you will get notification reminders from MBAM when your license expiration approaches.

HTH,

daledoc1

So a quick look through my saved emails reveals that I kept the original purchase email and that I bought "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO, 1 licence per PC". I presume that this is the lifetime subscription mentioned  :D

The identifier is also the same as the one on my account page, so I guess there must've been some MBAM files left over when I originally uninstalled.

I'm pretty happy now  :D

No not really because you are not excluding only the file name, you are excluding the filepath and the name of the file.  So if another file with the same name gets created in a different folder that is malware, then it would get detected.  If the malicious file gets put in the Malwarebytes folder and replaces one of the originals, then MBAM would probably not function right so you would get alerted.  Also you could always turn on Self Protection and that would avoid any of the MBAM files from being replaced/deleted by malware....

Ok, so last question (I think):

I've been trawling through forums recently and I noticed this update for Norton 360 quite a while back after viewing this comment on a post from last year.

Does this mean I no longer have to exclude MBAM from Norton? I'd like to point out that there have been no conflicts thus far, but then again, I haven't turned the RT module on yet.

Thanks for the help!

Most folks do not have to add exclusions at all. Some folks (like myself) add them as a proactive approach only to avoid any future conflict.

Its up to you if you want to try it without them and see if they get along together, if you notice some irregularities then add the exclusions...

• 10 months later...

As indicated above I enter three of the five listed in the Norton exclusion file for viruses and two into the sonar file . Two of the virus files said they weren't a valid path. One is this the right pplace to insert these files and two do I have to figure out hos to load in the other two files