Free Malwarebytes?

Today, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware surpassed 1,000,000,000 infections removed from systems worldwide. Let's congratulate our entire team for such a tremendous effort and countless hours of work. We are quickly growing to become the number one anti-malware product on the Internet!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is available for free as a download here.

Hi all.

I would like to know the official response to "Is Malwarebytes free?"

When I look at the Home Page, I read this:

Testimonials

* "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a surprisingly effective freeware antimalware tool."

But when I look to the Download I see:

Download

free trial version

Download

full version

So the question remains. Is it Free or is it Trial ?

I note that I have used my "free" version of Malwarebytes for many months, and I'm extremely happy with the results

But am I running a "Trial' version? When I look at About, I am using version 1.36, and I just did the updates and I have Database version 2064

What am I running if its not free :) ?

Please let me know officially, as I quoted "Free Malwarebytes" to someone, and they stated that it is not free

It's very confusing :angry:

Thanks swagger,

I'm not sure if that's the official reply or not. But I do appreciate what you said

I've always thought it was free as well (without live protection) for "personal use"

It would be grand to have Admin or a Mod or someone with a long term standing on this, reply. Because I am a Moderator myself on a tech forum and I don't want to say "FREE" when it's not.

By the way, why didn't I get a reply email on this? I know my email is right because I got the "Registration email" and I did tick the square that said instant email, or whatever it was (as I can't see it now)

Anyway, any Mods on board?

No problem, I completely understand your concern, but I'm sure a moderator/admin will back my words up :angry: I use it pretty much everyday for free and bought the active protection version for my desktop at home.

I hope you get a reply soon,

Keith

I caught that dreaded fake alert malware, "Spyware Protect 2009 Alert", on April 27 (2009).

To remove it, my computer repair technician recommended that I download your Anti-Malware program. I did it and it worked.

Then today (5-1-09), that same fake alert malware decided to hijack my computer again. I re-booted my computer in "safe mode" and ran Anti-Malware again. It found and removed the infected files.

I understand that I have a trial version of your program and that it might expire some day. Don't want that to happen, so I paid $24.95 online for a complete version and also ordered an additional backup copy on a CD.

This is my way of expressing how grateful I am.

Jimmie in Florida

U.S.

:angry:

Thanks RemoveMalware for your contribution, although not directly related to this thread

I will let you know after supporting thousands of users computers both online and physically servicing someone's computer, that you do not need to purchase anything at all to remove Malware.

The "gratefulness" that you speak about is very important too

I am also grateful for having such a brilliant program for free, but manufactures use these free downloads as an advertising option, and it work :angry: By giving users a free download program, they do not need to advertise in the "normal" way that you and I may be familiar with (magazines etc)

It's important also to state that although Malwarebytes (free version) does an excellent job at removing "Spyware Protect 2009 Alert", you may in fact still be infected. As to fully "clean" your system many free programs may need to be run, and possibly even you may need your HijackThis Log checked, even right here on Malwarebytes forum.

I think at this stage I might just take swagger's post as the official word, "Free for personal use"

I would like to thank all those that took the time to read and reply

If I don't receive any other replies, thanks again to all :)

kimsland

TechSpot Moderator

• Staff

Yes, it's free.

One of these days that info about a 'trial' version will be corrected. It's misleading to say the least.

But someone is just too busy to change it. :angry:

One of these days that info about a 'trial' version will be corrected. It's misleading to say the least.

But someone is just too busy to change it. :angry:

Actually, it's not going to be changed. I think Marcus is to blame for making Marcin think it's good to leave it as is, but I'm not sure...

Thanks for the answers

I was hoping to get a more technical or direct response than a sales response

I believe the word Trial should be removed as well. All other sites for Malware removal programs and Anti Virus programs use the word "FREE" for the free download software (if free download software also exists)

Basically users are getting smarter technically, and sales companies are not catching up, this can be a downfall for many companies

I am still very happy with Malwarebytes and its detections. I would say it's the best in Malware detection of all free Malware removal programs

• Staff

Actually, it's not going to be changed. I think Marcus is to blame for making Marcin think it's good to leave it as is, but I'm not sure...
That's just wrong. At the very least, add the words 'corporate only' on the trial button.

• Staff
Thanks for the answers

I was hoping to get a more technical or direct response than a sales response

That wasn't a 'sales response'.

It was a response by a moderator\employee of the company.

All you asked for was a reply from a moderator, you got better. :angry:

I know.

I meant generally within the thread

I'm very happy with the responses from all members, I did ask and I did receive :)

Again Thank you.

I'll keep an eye on the front page over time if it ever changes (wording) :angry:

Off topic:

Hey I thought of the only thing that annoys me a little, about the finished scan log (if detections are found)

I constantly must inform users to select all found issues and then select Fix to all

I appreciate that it is wise to be aware of all detections found, and therefore Fix is not automatic

But I notice that 50% of the time (if not more) this is totally missed by the user

Mind you, sometimes members "miss fixing" this, but then rescan, and the entries are already gone! So who knows (probably you guys)

Anyway, I do think this last log part and Fix could be changed a little

Sorry for the off topic, but that's the only thing, plus "Free" issue that I am concerned about

All up everything else is perfect.

Oh and again I didn't receive a message email from last two replies, (but did for the reply before that) so I'll just check back periodically

• 3 weeks later...
It is on our todo list. I need to contact the graphics artist that did the original logos. Thanks for being patient.

Not to keep asking the same question but......

Is Malwarebytes free for home use AND business use?

Thanks.

Not to keep asking the same question but......

Is Malwarebytes free for home use AND business use?

Most freeware contains paragraphs in the license agreement excluding business/corporate use (an obvious exception to this would be open source software).

Our license agreement starts out as follows:

Subject to the restrictions below, you may use the Malwarebytes' Software for any legitimate purpose.

In return, we simply require that you agree:

1. Not to use this software for commercial use without proper licensing.

The only company I know of that makes good freeware applications that allow for free business/corporate use are Opera Software, Mozilla, and Comodo. There are probably a few more, but note that Comodo is the only one making real security software for free business use.

Greetings Laney and welcome ;) .

According to the EULA displayed when installing Malwarebytes' it is only free for personal use and anyone using it in a business/corporate/technician environment needs to contact corporate [at] malwarebytes [dot] org :P .

OK, thanks for the quick responses! ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

First, I am a big fan of Malwarebytes, and right now I am researching the best small biz alternatives to register, also checking to see the licensing on the auxiliary software like StartupLite and FileAssasin. If I do not see a post, I will start a thread.

As for security software, there are a number of good freebies for biz-commercial use (eg. firewalls, a registry watcher, some hosts files programs, Avira has some of their techie tools as freely available, not the main anti-virus though). None that are specifically active and current malware removal, and this is quite understandable. We have a thread on DonationCoder that discusses this 'free-for-biz' issue, and any additional entries are welcome.

And the thread recommends Malwarebytes as one of the very few special-case "be sure to buy and register it commercial" products.

As for Comodo, they are mentioned en passant and largely skipped over for reasons that really are not directly a Malwarebytes issues. I will just say quickly that any company that is tricky with crapware installs loses the appellation of 'freeware'.

Shalom,

Steven Avery

The only company I know of that makes good freeware applications that allow for free business/corporate use are Opera Software, Mozilla, and Comodo. There are probably a few more, but note that Comodo is the only one making real security software for free business use.

I'm inclined to agree with your sentiments regarding Comodo considering they now bundle Ask (which is known adware) as do many others just to generate extra income from their free offerings. I used to use BoClean (which included no bundled adware unlike CIS), but they discontinued it (the same day the 64 bit compatible version of MBAM Pro was released :unsure: ) as a standalone tool and I don't want their AV or FW so I quit using any of their products. Of course, even Zone Alarm includes it now, but I don't believe their firewall is free for corporate use anyway.

Hi Folks,

Just to be clear, I do not consider a toolbar by itself to be a dealbreaker. Piriform (CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler) has a bar checked in the CCleaner install .. yet it is very clear what it is and you uncheck it. It would be better not to be there, of course.

The much bigger problem comes when the toolbars start to be stuffed in with dubious and confusing means .. Comodo and PDF Creator come to mind. And then Comodo made their situation intolerable with the absurd legal beagle bluster against Softpedia.

If somebody has a "no toolbar" at all standard .. that is great (as is a no google-scareware-ad policy). However there are lots of grey areas, and Comodo, in my view, just was way, way over the line once they went to legal intimidation against a download company simply being consistent and accurate. Thus, unless they change, they should be ignored in the discussion.

Oh, my questions .. are StartupLite, File Assassin and similar utilities, separate from Anti-Malware, ok for commercial use ? With the regular copyright, acknowledgement, no modification types of license.

Shalom,

Steven Avery

I'm inclined to agree with your sentiments regarding Comodo considering they now bundle Ask (which is known adware) as do many others just to generate extra income from their free offerings. I used to use BoClean (which included no bundled adware unlike CIS), but they discontinued it (the same day the 64 bit compatible version of MBAM Pro was released :unsure: ) as a standalone tool and I don't want their AV or FW so I quit using any of their products. Of course, even Zone Alarm includes it now, but I don't believe their firewall is free for corporate use anyway.