Unable to start scan, & can't reinstall

Hi, 

I have referred to all the relevant help pages but can't seem to resolve this problem - I would greatly appreciate any help! 

I noticed that my Malwarebytes version 2.0 hasn't been working as per usual, so I tried to open the program manually but was unable to actually elicit any kind of response, and have since been having trouble, including difficulty reinstalling the program. 

Here is a timeline of recent events:

- unable to open Malwarebytes to start scan (no response at all)

- Chameleon repeatedly shows "Failed to start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Killing known malicious processes... Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has terminated - unable to start the scan." 

- I uninstalled the program with hopes to re-install it but keep getting error messages, including "Internal error: Expression error 'Runtime error (at 79:177) External exception E06D7363" 

- followed "Use Chameleon to download Malwarebytes" instructions - got to the point of removing 5 malicious processes and again activated the newly-downloaded Malwarebytes 1.7 BUT THEN was unable to update it to version 2.0 and the program thereafter could not be found and opened anymore. 

- back to square one

Any suggestions? Thanks very much! 

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gringo, 

Thanks for your reply and bump! Sorry, I've been away so haven't had internet access for a bit. 

After a lot of struggle, I've managed to resolve the issue - gave up on using chameleon and clean as I still couldn't (re)install Malwarebytes. Eventually, I used a few other programs to supplement in the meantime and tried again to install Malwarebytes, including changing its file name. 

:) 

• Staff

I would like to try reinstalling Malwarebytes Antimalware at this time.

To completely remove Malwarebytes Antimalware you will first need you will need to uninstall it from the control panel in (XP) add/remove and in (Vista and later) program and features

Then I want you to run our cleanup tool that will remove any traces that is left over.

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

Now to reinstall Malwqarebytes Antimalware

1.Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 at http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam

2.After downloading, double-click the downloaded file to get started.

3.Choose Yes if the User Account Control dialog appears.

4.The installation wizard will now appear to guide you through the upgrade process.

5.Click on Next.

6.Review and accept the license agreement, then click Next.

7.Review the latest changes made to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Next.

8.Choose where to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Next.

9.Choose whether or not to have a Start Menu entry and its name, then click Next.

10.Choose if you want a desktop icon, then click Next.

11.Review your installation choices, then click Install.

12.The wizard will begin to install the files.

13.After upgrading, you will have the option to enable a free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

To see a video on how to do this - https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/44648553

You will need to add you ID and Key back to activate the premium features

• Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!